Bay Area Dealers

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltcrazy

Has anyone purchased/leased in the Bay Area? I called Frontier Ford on Saturday (no call back yet), emailed them on Sunday, and also emailed Sunnyvale Ford on Sunday.

I'm not sure anyone has really purchased a Ford Focus Electric yet - Ford says it's available, but it seems to be a realllllly slow rollout!

Did you notice this list of focus electric dealers in another thread on this forum?

Your name Voltcrazy - is that crazy about the Chevy Volt, or crazy about volts as in the stuff that powers any electric vehicle? :D

marta said:
Did you notice this list of focus electric dealers in another thread on this forum?

Your name Voltcrazy - is that crazy about the Chevy Volt, or crazy about volts as in the stuff that powers any electric vehicle? :D

I noticed the posted list of dealers, and also downloaded the PDF from Ford's website. Sunnyvale Ford and others are listed as certified dealers, but none of them know when they are going to receive a car! Last I heard, yesterday, was "rumor is August/September."

I do have an offer to place an order with Sunnyvale Ford, who has 3 allocations, so I may go in this week and do it.

My name started as voltcrazy because of my Chevy Volt. :) However, that car has just been a "gateway drug" to wanting an all-electric. Now, voltcrazy just refers to my obsession with electric cars. :)

Dale

I am in the Bay area too looking to buy a FFE and incidentally I also own a Volt and this my next logical progression. I was wondering why you did not consider the LEAF? I am still in two minds. The only thing I have against the LEAF is its styling. I think it is ugly. However the LEAF SL can now be bought for around 36K. The FFE will not budge from 40K in the near future I think. I really do not care for the fancy electronics in FFE. It is a commuter car and with a 40 mile radius from home, navigation, sync etc all overkill. Anyway, if you go through the Ford dealers website and search inventory, you can see some coming to the Bay area. Frontier Ford has 6, Fremont Ford has 3 and Livermore Ford has 4. The other ones use a different inventory search engine and I cannot see the FFE in their models though as you said for Sunnyvale, they must be getting some. I contacted Livermore Ford last week and they said they do not have them yet and will let me know once they come in. Still is two minds - styling is not worth 4K.

igh said:
I am in the Bay area too looking to buy a FFE and incidentally I also own a Volt and this my next logical progression. I was wondering why you did not consider the LEAF?

I strongly considered the LEAF. However, I do need 6.6 kw/hr charging, which is not coming until the FY'13 model. And like you, I do not like the styling. To me, the FFE is a *much* better looking car, and the only feature missing is a Chademo port. It also has more gadgets and goodies, which I like, and more power than the LEAF. :)

Hi Voltcrazy,

What is a "Chademo port"? I have never heard of this ford focus electric accessory. Also have you checked out the CODA? Seems like a reasonable competitor to the focus electric.

GreenRPMs said:
Hi Voltcrazy,

What is a "Chademo port"? I have never heard of this ford focus electric accessory. Also have you checked out the CODA? Seems like a reasonable competitor to the focus electric.

A Chademo is a separate 480V DC fast charging port that can charge 6-7 times faster than the 6.6 KW level 2 charger that FFE has. The Chademo is a standard in Japan but US and German auto makers do not like it and adopted a different standard recently which is compatible to the Level 2 AC charging port. Only the Leaf and the I-Miev has the Chademo port currently. I think it will disappear in future as it requires auto makers to make two separate charging ports thus increasing costs.

I also looked at the CODA. The styling is retro. The interiors felt cheap and unrefined. The electric fuel economy 44KWH/100 miles is much worse. The prices is 38K in the same ballpark. The company may fold in the future. Only the driving range is slightly better which I do not need.

I inquired with Frontier Ford - said 2 weeks before they get anything. Fremont Ford said demo model is in transit. They can order one for me after that at MSRP - 2 months to get in hand.

I have now called all 15 FFE dealers in the Bay area. No one has the car but are expecting in 1-3 weeks. Some cannot get me the car without ordering (about 10 weeks). Others are asking 2-4K over MSRP. Few can sell at MSRP. No one will go below MSRP. The Leaf SL is now available from North Bay Nissan for 35591. They have many in stock and ready to drive off. Looks like Ford with its poor commitment towards the FFE is pushing me away from them . :(

Wow, so I guess my backup plan of buying one in SF then shipping it to Seattle may not be so feasible.

I preordered on in Seattle 2 weeks ago and I was told "I want to set your expectations of having no expectations". The dealership gave me a guess of November, which is a super long time to wait when I'm ready to buy now.

If you go to autotrader.com or cars.com, they show inventory in Bay Area dealerships...is that inventory not up-to-date?

The inventory showing up in these websites in not real. I think ads are placed automatically when the expected delivery date arrives but actually no delivery happened. Ford missed initial delivery deadlines in NJ/NY by almost two months. Nobody in the Bay area can offer me a test drive yet.

Frontier Ford had 2 vehicles delivered yesterday - 1 demo, 1 presold. They will get 10 more over the next 2, 3 weeks - 6 yet be sold. No markup but not budging from MSRP. Looks like the cars are in high demand. I think it is mostly due to the poor supply.

Picking mine up as we speak. Sweet ride but zero trunk space which i will miss after my Prius.

Walnut creek ford has one right now unspoken for. Not sure how long it will last and the guy says it is black. They also have a demo car.

I placed an order with Sunnyvale Ford on May 30. I later heard back the following "Good News, Your Order Number for Your 2013 Focus Electric is #0881. The allocation for the 2012 model year has been closed, then , Your order for the Focus Electric will be for 2013 model year, No price change, as soon as I find out about the E.T.A ; I will either call or E-mail."

Anyone know what changes come with the 2013 model year, fast charging for example?

I hope you have a sales contract.

Take a look at this: :shock:

http://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/3-ford-focus-electric-owners-forum/424-i-got-call.html

The 2013 model is identical in MSRP and features to 2012. Fast DC charging will not happen until 2015 model I think.

The SAE standard just got adopted last month.

Morgan Hill Ford has a orphaned Frosted Glass one for 2.5K under MSRP.
Talk to internet manager Mark Shields. I have already ordered a particular
one with them and am waiting for that one.

igh said:
I hope you have a sales contract.

Take a look at this: :shock:

http://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/3-ford-focus-electric-owners-forum/424-i-got-call.html

The 2013 model is identical in MSRP and features to 2012. Fast DC charging will not happen until 2015 model I think.

The SAE standard just got adopted last month.
Thanks for the heads up igh! I confirmed with Sunnyvale Ford last Saturday that they are in fact charging $10k over MSRP. I promptly cancelled my order, but have not yet received my deposit back....

Glad to be of help. Out of all the Ford dealers nearby I found Sunnyvale Ford to be the most unprofessional. I think because of their central location they get a steady stream of well salaried customers many of whom do not do their homework and then they can take them for a ride. When I went there, as soon as the sales person figured out that I knew my facts and numbers he just lost interest in me. As you can see from the other forum thread, the guy eventually paid 1500 over MSRP to get his car right then. Thus they can afford to be unprofessional I guess. As for me, I went as far as Stockton once to get a car as the dealer there was giving a good deal. :D

Frontier Ford is better - they wont mark up. Talk to Dan Duran. The best deals are in Morgan Hill Ford. They are a bit out of the way and they make up by giving a better price - I don't mind that. That is where I will get my FFE from even if it means waiting a while.

Just noticed an ad from Fairfield Ford for 36,825 for the base model with cloth. That is below invoice. I someone buys from them please let me know. I am waiting for my order from Morgan Hill Ford. I might ask them to match the price.

Back