L vs. D

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamroud

Hello all, I was talking to a couple of EV owners and they told me they are driving with gear L rather than D. Do you have any experience or suggestions? Thanks

In the FFE all L does is increase the amount of regen the car does when you take your foot off the accelerator (e.g. it makes it feel like you're driving in low gear).

It will put a little bit more back into the battery than D does but since it slows you down faster it may not be that much more (although it won't come to a complete stop--you still get some creep). Its close to "one pedal mode" but not quite.

Fat Focus said:
I drive exclusively in L. Better control/feedback/regen and way less wear on the brakes.

How does it lessen the wear on the brakes? So long as you aren't slamming on the brakes, using the brake pedal engages regen anyway, the same as driving in L, so what is the difference?

Keith

campfamily said:
Fat Focus said:
I drive exclusively in L. Better control/feedback/regen and way less wear on the brakes.

How does it lessen the wear on the brakes? So long as you aren't slamming on the brakes, using the brake pedal engages regen anyway, the same as driving in L, so what is the difference?

Keith

I personally can't feel any difference where the transition from regen to braking occurs, so anytime I'm slowing down I'm using regen and not brakes. Plus I fairly regularly go over a very steep hill where L helps a lot to keep the car from going too fast and requiring the use of brakes. I'm fairly certain that if I were to drive in D, I would overcome the regen ability and use brakes pretty often.

If the brake usage is a wash, the benefits of better control and feedback are undeniable.

Back