Good price for used 2017 FFE?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ_J

Looking for fast feedback please, it's decision time.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2014 FFE with 10k miles for $10,500 + TTL but I've seen a few lightly used 2017 FFEs popping up already. With the end of the year just days away, what price is a good price to buy a gently used 17 over a brand new (and tax credit applicable) 2017 knowing that hold overs will likely be discounted even more in about 2-4 weeks? As of today I confirmed I could get a new 17 for $21k after incentives in CA. (before tax credit)

Found a 17 FFE with 3k miles for $16,800 +TTL. Thinking that paying 60-70% more than a 14 for 50% more range and a full warranty may be the way to go. Sure there's a tax credit on the 2017 but that's not coming off the top like it is on the value of this used car.

Thanks!

AZ_J said:
Looking for fast feedback please, it's decision time.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2014 FFE with 10k miles for $10,500 + TTL but I've seen a few lightly used 2017 FFEs popping up already. With the end of the year just days away, what price is a good price to buy a gently used 17 over a brand new (and tax credit applicable) 2017 knowing that hold overs will likely be discounted even more in about 2-4 weeks? As of today I confirmed I could get a new 17 for $21k after incentives in CA. (before tax credit)

Found a 17 FFE with 3k miles for $16,800 +TTL. Thinking that paying 60-70% more than a 14 for 50% more range and a full warranty may be the way to go. Sure there's a tax credit on the 2017 but that's not coming off the top like it is on the value of this used car.

Thanks!

Given the numbers you mention, I'm not sure why you wouldn't get the new 2017. You mention being able to get one for $21k before fed tax credit. The credit takes the final number to way below the used 2017 figure.

Thanks. I pulled the trigger on the used 2017 w/ 3k miles, got them down to $16,500 + tax. On paper the new one with tax credit would be cheaper, but still doesn't change the purchase price and I wouldn't have the tax liability this year to realize it.

This will hold me over just fine until the Model 3 arrives mid year 2018 as I'd planned to adjust my withholding in January 18, and I already have a friend lined up to buy this off me when it does.

Love when the stars align! Happy to be back in a FFE, with 50% more range no less. :)

jmueller065 said:
damania said:
Where did you find FFE 2017s for $21k? Thr lowest I can find them are for $24k.
Note that it is used with 3000 miles on it.
He bought used for $16.5k
$21k is about price for a new one:
As of today I confirmed I could get a new 17 for $21k after incentives in CA. (before tax credit)

I just purchased a 2017 for $21k out the door before Fed tax incentive in RI. They were by far the lowest price in all of NH, MA, CT, and RI. Everyone else was around $24k

AZ_J said:
Thanks. I pulled the trigger on the used 2017 w/ 3k miles, got them down to $16,500 + tax. On paper the new one with tax credit would be cheaper, but still doesn't change the purchase price and I wouldn't have the tax liability this year to realize it.

This will hold me over just fine until the Model 3 arrives mid year 2018 as I'd planned to adjust my withholding in January 18, and I already have a friend lined up to buy this off me when it does.

Love when the stars align! Happy to be back in a FFE, with 50% more range no less. :)

I think you don't understand the tax credit very well. You said you wouldn't have the tax liability to realize it in 2017, but that you would "adjust your withholding in 2018" You either owe $7500 in federal taxes (and thus will benefit from the full credit) or you don't. What you withhold has nothing to do with what you owe, it just has to do with what you give them along the way.

If your 2016 tax returns indicate that you paid the federal government $7500+ then you can take advantage of the full tax credit. If nothing much changed in 2017, you'll likely still owe $7500+, and same for 2018 (expect the new tax plan will lower rates). The amount you withhold is completely irrelevant. Please make sure you understand this well before you go out and buy a Model 3 assuming you're going to save $7500.

damania said:
Where did you find FFE 2017s for $21k? Thr lowest I can find them are for $24k.

I found a price around $17K post tax credits on a 2017 FFE (with leather) in CA. I wound up leasing cause that was cheaper with the buyout. Lease wound up being about $9K in total payments and fees (15k miles/year). Buyout at lease end is $8k+tax. Factor in the CA $2500 rebate and $500 PG&E and its $15400 total cost of ownership for a 2017 FFE with Leather Interior!

Back