uah_on

ON Ford Dealership unwilling to negotiate on Focus EV MSRP

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:03 pm

I was at the Erinwood Ford (Mississauga, Ontario) dealership yesterday looking to lease a Ford Focus EV. The dealership was unwilling to negotiate at all on the MSRP price of the Ford Focus EV. They would not even decrease the lease price by $1. The salesman said his manager is unwilling to negotiate on the car. He then said that the government is already giving us a $14,000 rebate, which is enough. I thought that was ridiculous, since the EVs already have a higher MSRP, shouldn't matter if the government was giving us a rebate. He said we are "able" to negotiate on the MSRP, but we don't want to negotiate.

Anybody else have a similar experience when leasing a Ford Focus EV?

campfamily

Re: ON Ford Dealership unwilling to negotiate on Focus EV MS

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:59 pm

uah_on wrote:I was at the Erinwood Ford (Mississauga, Ontario) dealership yesterday looking to lease a Ford Focus EV. The dealership was unwilling to negotiate at all on the MSRP price of the Ford Focus EV. They would not even decrease the lease price by $1. The salesman said his manager is unwilling to negotiate on the car. He then said that the government is already giving us a $14,000 rebate, which is enough. I thought that was ridiculous, since the EVs already have a higher MSRP, shouldn't matter if the government was giving us a rebate. He said we are "able" to negotiate on the MSRP, but we don't want to negotiate.

Are you trying to lease a 2017 or 2016?
GONE - 2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
38,500 miles (since May 2015), average 246 Wh/mile

REPLACED WITH - 2018 Tesla Model3, LR RWD, Obsidian Black
11,000 miles (since Nov 2018), average 235 Wh/mile

chargedup

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:22 pm

I just ordered a 2017 FFE in BC where we have a $5000 incentive and I got them down to $30k OTD. I'm financing at 0% for 5 years, but I also discussed a lease and it would have been at the same price point. But, I didn't go with a lease since the residual was only ~$9k. I would just go to a different dealership in your case.

scottt
Site Moderator

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 am

uah_on wrote:I was at the Erinwood Ford (Mississauga, Ontario) dealership yesterday looking to lease a Ford Focus EV. The dealership was unwilling to negotiate at all on the MSRP price of the Ford Focus EV. They would not even decrease the lease price by $1. The salesman said his manager is unwilling to negotiate on the car. He then said that the government is already giving us a $14,000 rebate, which is enough. I thought that was ridiculous, since the EVs already have a higher MSRP, shouldn't matter if the government was giving us a rebate. He said we are "able" to negotiate on the MSRP, but we don't want to negotiate.

Yep, hence why I went to a different dealer. There are lots and LOTS of them.
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current

triangles

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:05 am

+1 I tried with nearly a dozen "local" dealers in 2014. I ended up "importing" my car from a dealer who was 3 states away but I would have hoped things have gotten better by now.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Jamez

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:20 am

I never saw a need to negotiate down. The price was decent and the rebate sizable. I was very happy with the price (and it's even better right now)

If you wanted real leverage, just mention the Ioniq and walk out (then go and buy the Ioniq)

There will be so few FFE's in Ontario that they won't have that hard of a time getting rid of the initial batch, then the rest will be ordered. There's no reason for them to want to reduce the MSRP any further.
Jamez

---------------
https://www.facebook.com/myevlife/

2016 FFE Kona blue
2006 MINI Cooper S JCW
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW
2011 Volvo S80

Pearl

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:41 am

Is the Ioniq EV available yet in Canada? I know it wont be out til later this year here in the US.
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape

Jamez

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:48 am

Pearl wrote:Is the Ioniq EV available yet in Canada? I know it wont be out til later this year here in the US.
Yes, the full-battery Ioniq is. The PHEV is later this year across Canada and USA.

They've been reported to me as: "on the ground in Toronto, awaiting release" and that was likely to happen any day (two weeks ago).
I'm thinking it will be end of March or the first week of April.
Jamez

---------------
https://www.facebook.com/myevlife/

2016 FFE Kona blue
2006 MINI Cooper S JCW
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW
2011 Volvo S80

uah_on

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 am

campfamily wrote:

Are you trying to lease a 2017 or 2016?
A 2017 Focus EV. I also should add that initially when we walked into the dealer, the salesperson said they have 3 Focus EVs on order, and two of them have already been sold. There's only one left that's white with leather seats. He said these vehicles are really popular and are going by fast, so I can only get that one Focus EV they already have on order. I questioned him on why I need to be limited on my choice of colour and seating and if it's a popular vehicle they should have more than 1 available. After talking with his manager, he did say that I can go with a different configuration but it will take 6-8 weeks to get the car, which I was ok with.

Essentially he was trying to say that they can easily sell whatever that one EV they have in stock, so he doesn't have to negotiate on the MSRP. He didn't seem at all interested in selling any more EVs then that one they have in stock, instead he started talking about how good their trucks are and they make most of their profit selling those.

I am definitely considering to go to as many dealers as I can. This was the first dealer I went to and found it surprising that they are ok with creating an image of "not willing to negotiate on MSRP" with customers. Of course it's a loss for them, since I will be shopping around at other dealers.

uah_on

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:10 am

Jamez wrote:I never saw a need to negotiate down. The price was decent and the rebate sizable. I was very happy with the price (and it's even better right now)

If you wanted real leverage, just mention the Ioniq and walk out (then go and buy the Ioniq)

There will be so few FFE's in Ontario that they won't have that hard of a time getting rid of the initial batch, then the rest will be ordered. There's no reason for them to want to reduce the MSRP any further.
Yes, I'm waiting for the IONIQ Electric to be available in dealerships in Mississauga. I do have a certain budget even with the Ontario incentives, and was looking to a somewhat lower price point. Absolutely will have to create leverage by visiting other dealers and even manufacturers. Just found it surprising how unwilling this place was to negotiate (considering they are able to negotiate somewhat).

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”