Lease End - Get Proof That You Turned in Your Charging Cable

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsurferk

I turned my FFE at lease end in May of this year. The dealer doesn't actually do the lease-end inspection. Instead, the inspection is performed by a 3rd party. Ford notified me that I owed $500 because the "EV Cord" was missing. Well, I didn't use that cord since I installed my home charger during the first week of ownership, so I was quite certain they were mistaken. Then, I saw the inspection report and it was clear that the inspector didn't know to lift up the trunk floor flap in order to locate the cable.

I'm stuck disputing this charge with them. My guess is most inspectors are unfamiliar with this vehicle, so my advice would be to get pictures/video of you turning the vehicle in with the charger in the trunk.

Has anyone else had this problem?

4M9GPVK

http://imgur.com/4M9GPVK

Good suggestions for others who have an FFE lease return in the future.
So the inspector has to note on his report that all accessories are there in the car including the 120v charging cable?
How about the nav SD card and tire repair/seal kit too?
I think those are the only included FFE accesssories.
Can you make sure the inspector includes a note that all of that is in the car on his report before he leaves?
My FFE also included a dealer added carrying case accessory for the 120v charging cable, which I have never used.
I have to remember to put that in the car for the lease return next year too.

NightHawk said:
Good suggestions for others who have an FFE lease return in the future.
So the inspector has to note on his report that all accessories are there in the car including the 120v charging cable?
How about the nav SD card and tire repair/seal kit too?
I think those are the only included FFE accesssories.
Can you make sure the inspector includes a note that all of that is in the car on his report before he leaves?
My FFE also included a dealer added carrying case accessory for the 120v charging cable, which I have never used.
I have to remember to put that in the car for the lease return next year too.
Not in my case: The inspector did the inspection days after I had turned it back in (not even sure if the inspection was done at my dealership).

I just signed the paperwork and handed over the keys...that was the last time I saw the car.

Same here. I think the inspection was done well after I turned it in, and might have even taken place offsite.

Thats strange - others have reported you can setup a lease inspection a month or more before you turn in the car at the end of the lease and have it done at your home or work place while you are there.
Thats what I would do, so I could see what he checks and make sure he notes down all the accessories are there and show him exactly where they are in the car.

I found a link to a pdf file Ford provides with details on this procedure:
https://credit.ford.com/doc/Ford_Lease_Vehicle_Inspection_final.pdf

Vehicle inspection is conducted near the end of your Red Carpet Lease. For
added convenience, you can choose an inspection location ideal for you, such as
your home or office.

Vehicle inspection provides detailed information about the condition of your vehicle including
an assessment of any Excess Wear and Use. Understanding this assessment before lease-end
allows time to arrange for any desired repairs before turning in your vehicle.
Regardless of whether you plan to have repairs made prior to returning your vehicle, you will be
aware of your vehicle’s assessed Excess Wear and Use.

Approximately 35-45 days before your lease is scheduled to end, you should be contacted by a
Vehicle Inspection Company* to arrange both a date and location for your vehicle’s inspection.
When called, set up your appointment at your earliest opportunity to ensure time, if you choose,
to address identified Excess Wear & Use.

In preparation for your inspection, clean your vehicle and remove any loose items,
particularly in the trunk area. The inspector cannot remove items and needs to move
freely during the inspection process.

Upon arrival, inspectors will identify themselves with their company* ID and request
the vehicle’s keys in order to conduct the inspection. We encourage you to take part in
the inspection process, if possible.

Inspections typically take 30 minutes. During the inspection, your vehicle’s interior,
exterior, components and electromechanical functions will be checked.
When complete, you will receive a Vehicle Condition Report detailing any identified
Excess Wear and Use.

What Happens After a Vehicle Inspection?
Review your Vehicle Condition Report. If you choose to make repairs, your Ford Dealer is always
available to ensure proper repairs with genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts.
Please retain copies of all repair receipts to verify repairs have been completed.

Nope; I setup an appointment to pick up my new car, handed over the keys and signed the lease turn in papers...that was it.

Since I turned my car in early I really didn't even think of scheduling the inspection. This was exactly the same as it was for my 2012 ICE Focus at the end of its lease: signed papers and turned over the keys.

In both cases in 1 or 2 weeks later I got the inspection report in the mail (and in both cases everything was good).

Weird, the procedure was crystal clear for me. Ford Credit had a pre-printed list.

The inspection was scheduled two weeks before we turned the car in. The guy came to my house (an independent company, AutoVIN did the inspection). He was very thorough. In fact knew exactly about the charging cable and pump (meaning he knew about lifting the flap / secret compartment nobody knows about).

When we turned the car in, the dealer had the inspection report. Actually the guy looked at me funny and said, did you miss a lease payment? No, we owe for a dent in the front quarter panel. And the worst part, they charge sales tax on the amount I owe.

The dealer also asked about the second fob - we only have one. The report showed the fob missing and had $0 for the return. The dealer said he's seen a lot of people charged for missing fobs.

We were never offered any kind of early buy out. In fact we tried several times. Never offered a lower price than exact residual on the contract for the car. Our dealer, where we have purchased three cars, tried to work the numbers so we could lease a new car from them early. Not a chance, they couldn't make that work.

So we just turned the car in and had already purchased a used 2013 FFE.

EVA said:
Weird, the procedure was crystal clear for me. Ford Credit had a pre-printed list.

The inspection was scheduled two weeks before we turned the car in. The guy came to my house (an independent company, AutoVIN did the inspection). He was very thorough. In fact knew exactly about the charging cable and pump (meaning he knew about lifting the flap / secret compartment nobody knows about).

When we turned the car in, the dealer had the inspection report. Actually the guy looked at me funny and said, did you miss a lease payment? No, we owe for a dent in the front quarter panel. And the worst part, they charge sales tax on the amount I owe.

The dealer also asked about the second fob - we only have one. The report showed the fob missing and had $0 for the return. The dealer said he's seen a lot of people charged for missing fobs.

We were never offered any kind of early buy out. In fact we tried several times. Never offered a lower price than exact residual on the contract for the car. Our dealer, where we have purchased three cars, tried to work the numbers so we could lease a new car from them early. Not a chance, they couldn't make that work.

So we just turned the car in and had already purchased a used 2013 FFE.

Were you contacted to setup the inspection or did you have to contact someone yourself?
I just asked a service guy at my local Ford dealer and he thought you just turn the leased car in and the inspection is after, but I want to have it done BEFORE I turn it in so I know they didn't make any mistakes and charge me for something that is wrong or I could fix far cheaper than they would charge. So I need to find out how to schedule the inspection in advance of lease end in case they don't contact me in advance to do that. Maybe it would be a good idea to print out a list of notes to indicate where all the accessories are and list them all (2 FOBs, 120v charger, tire repair kit, NAV SD card, etc) for the inspector?

Nighthawk, we got a letter about two months before lease end that described all those things. We contacted the company to schedule the appointment. The letter also included all the excess wear criteria - dent size, number of door dings allowed, tire tread, scratches... can't remember everything.

I agree, I liked having an inspection before I turned the car in. I could have argued the dent fee. Ford might have waived it. But it was so little money compared to actually fixing the dent, I didn't feel like arguing. And the dent was just barely larger than their acceptable dents.

You actually got the list right.
Fobs - ideally 2, they will ask for the second if you only have one (I fully intended to buy one on eBay if they forced me to have a second fob - I wasn't going to pay the outrageous price Ford charges - or the price I guess it will be).
Owner's manual in glove box.
Tire pump.
120V charging cable.

I honestly can't think of anything else they requested.

The guy spent almost an hour on the car. He even measured tread depth at several places on each tire. That was kind of too bad, I was going to swap the much more worn tires and oddball brand new tire on the new used car with the one I was returning. Since they had the tread depth, I didn't bother.

There was something very nice about having the inspection and closing the deal on the old car. Return at the dealer was about 10 minutes with no appointment necessary.

Back