blackbeasst
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:00 am
Location: GA

Ford lease end options

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 am

i think i was told that i have 3 options but wanted to see if thats the case before i call/go in to a dealer.

1. drop the keys and if under mileage, walk away
2. drop the keys, pay any overage, walk away
3. if over the miles, get into another lease/loan and they ignore the miles from the first lease

also, is there any option if i wanted out of my FFE lease that i could roll the balance into another car? yeah yeah yeah, i know, bad idea!! but worse case if my work doesn't allow me to keep driving it due to relocation of my office (im already making it home with no more than 4-5 miles each day) :o

jmueller065
Posts: 2386
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 am
Location: Southeastern MI
Contact: Website

Re: Ford lease end options

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:24 am

blackbeasst wrote:3. if over the miles, get into another lease/loan and they ignore the miles from the first lease
Hmm that hasn't been my experience. For me they've usually just rolled the cost of the extra miles into the next lease (or use any dealer cash back to pay for them, etc.).
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

NightHawk
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: Southern CA

Re: Ford lease end options

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:18 pm

What about the inspection process?
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White, Cloth Seats (Lease ended 9/28/2017)

blackbeasst
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:00 am
Location: GA

Re: Ford lease end options

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 am

jmueller065 wrote:
blackbeasst wrote:3. if over the miles, get into another lease/loan and they ignore the miles from the first lease
Hmm that hasn't been my experience. For me they've usually just rolled the cost of the extra miles into the next lease (or use any dealer cash back to pay for them, etc.).
i asked the same question about how that would work if someone racked up 100k miles on a car in 3 years, then the person gets into another and they are stuck with a 3 year old 100k mile car that isn't worth diddle.

would it be better to call ford directly or the dealer?

jmueller065
Posts: 2386
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 am
Location: Southeastern MI
Contact: Website

Re: Ford lease end options

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:25 am

blackbeasst wrote:would it be better to call ford directly or the dealer?
Probably Ford Credit if your lease is through them. The lease contract may also specify how things are handled.

As far as inspection: Its done by a 3rd party. Not sure if someone visits the dealer to do the inspection or they ship it off somewhere (its done at a later date). Once you hand in your keys and walk away you get a letter about 2 weeks later detailing the inspection, what they found, and if you owe anything.

When I turned mine in I was well under miles so I really don't know how overages are handled (yet--I was under so much I dropped the miles on my C-Max lease to get a lower payment and now my mile tracking spreadsheet says I'm using way more than I did in the FFE! LOL).
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

NightHawk
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: Southern CA

Re: Ford lease end options

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Isn't it possible to have the inspection done before turning the car in and at home?
I've read thats advisable since then you have a chance to do any repairs cheaper yourself possibly thru insurance before turning the car in compared to high fees after...
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White, Cloth Seats (Lease ended 9/28/2017)

michael
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Ford lease end options

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:54 pm

blackbeasst wrote:
jmueller065 wrote:
blackbeasst wrote:3. if over the miles, get into another lease/loan and they ignore the miles from the first lease
Hmm that hasn't been my experience. For me they've usually just rolled the cost of the extra miles into the next lease (or use any dealer cash back to pay for them, etc.).
i asked the same question about how that would work if someone racked up 100k miles on a car in 3 years, then the person gets into another and they are stuck with a 3 year old 100k mile car that isn't worth diddle.

would it be better to call ford directly or the dealer?
My recollection is that if you lease another car, they forgive some amount ($500 maybe?) of excess wear-and-tear, but not excess mileage.
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

michael
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Ford lease end options

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:55 pm

NightHawk wrote:Isn't it possible to have the inspection done before turning the car in and at home?
I've read thats advisable since then you have a chance to do any repairs cheaper yourself possibly thru insurance before turning the car in compared to high fees after...
Yes, that's the normal process. Some guy comes to your home or workplace and inspects the car, gives you a chance to correct any problems he discovers.
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

EMP40
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:43 pm
Location: Roseville, Ca

Re: Ford lease end options

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:27 pm

What is the inspection cost and how picky are they? What sorts of things are"excess"?
2016 FFE, Tectonic Leather, Apple CarPlay enabled

scottt
Site Moderator
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:00 am

Re: Ford lease end options

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:10 am

EMP40 wrote:What is the inspection cost and how picky are they? What sorts of things are"excess"?
The lease contract often spells this out.

When I turned in my Caddy, my wife had put some nasty scratches/swirl marks in the paint on the trunk. It was under the "excess wear" amount, and thus I wasn't dinged.
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”