Final offer from 2 different dealerships

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curevo

Hello all,
I have tried and tried to negotiate, but have been unable to strike the same deal several users on this forum have. I am looking at a 2015 Ruby Red with Exterior Protection Package and Leather
My final offer from two different dealerships is as follows (well they were $90 apart, close enough):

MSRP: $31,630
Savings: -$840.00
Selling Price: $30,790
Ford Rebate: $3,500
Subtotal: $27,290
Fees: $293.15
Sales Tax: $1,637.70
Net Sales Price: $29,220.85
Federal Credit: -$7,500.00
PA Credit: -$2,000.00 (Only 117 remaining or til December 31, 2015, whichever comes first)
Out the Door Cost: $19,720.85

Both dealerships let me walk away and stated they absolutely could do no better.

Any suggestions?
:? :?

I guess dealers in Southern California are willing to deal a lot more than dealers in Pennsylvania (I'm assuming that is where you are). Might have something to do with the number of units in stock at the dealers; when I bought my car, there were more than 20 within 25 miles of me, so the selection (and thus competition) was pretty good.

Keith

Curevo said:
Hello all,
I have tried and tried to negotiate, but have been unable to strike the same deal several users on this forum have. I am looking at a 2015 Ruby Red with Exterior Protection Package and Leather
My final offer from two different dealerships is as follows (well they were $90 apart, close enough):

PA Credit: -$2,000.00 (Only 117 remaining or til December 31, 2015, whichever comes first)

Both dealerships let me walk away and stated they absolutely could do no better.

Any suggestions?

I had received the same numbers as you (Pittsburgh area) but then I used TrueCar and have been receiving a few offers from Ohio (100 miles from me) at around 22-23k as net sales price (not including Fed + PA Credit)! Did not make sense but that was for a car without leather or premium paint. I think if you are close to Ohio or another state you might want to expand the search. It took less than a minute for these other guys to call me whereas the local dealers were not very responsive.

One dealer is close to my house in PA, but the other one is in NJ. I thought about OH, but that is quite far away from me. Maybe MD is next...

fbitz777 said:
Curevo said:
Hello all,

Any suggestions?

I had received the same numbers as you (Pittsburgh area) but then I used TrueCar and have been receiving a few offers from Ohio (100 miles from me) at around 22-23k as net sales price (not including Fed + PA Credit)! Did not make sense but that was for a car without leather or premium paint. I think if you are close to Ohio or another state you might want to expand the search. It took less than a minute for these other guys to call me whereas the local dealers were not very responsive.

100 miles is only 2 hours drive to save almost $5000. I would say that's worth it. All it will take on the way back is a 2 hour (40 mile) charge to get a 115 mile range (75 + 40 miles).

Query for the OP: Did the dealers in question have the car in stock on their lot? IOW, did you touch it? They aren't likely to go below invoice for a car they have to procure.

brogult said:
Query for the OP: Did the dealers in question have the car in stock on their lot? IOW, did you touch it? They aren't likely to go below invoice for a car they have to procure.

I got $1752 under invoice for an ordered car.

I know that many feel differently, but I still think the MFT is quite good, better than what you get from other manufacturers.

With a big enough discount, I wouldn't let this be the deciding point. I would give some thought to the age of the battery in a 2015 though, could already be a year old...check date of manufacture and consider weather in the location it's been in the meanwhile.

michael said:
With a big enough discount, I wouldn't let this be the deciding point. I would give some thought to the age of the battery in a 2015 though, could already be a year old...check date of manufacture and consider weather in the location it's been in the meanwhile.
To be fair though, a battery sitting around unused for a year is not "aging" the same way as a battery that is being used day-in, day-out for the same period.

@scottt

I got $1752 under invoice for an ordered car.

That is unusual and I'm guessing there was some extra money or incentive somewhere for them to do that. Still, an ordered car is a different deal than one they have to trade for from a different dealer. An ordered car, costwise for the dealer, is just like one already on the lot. Their only additional risk is you backing out of the deal.

WattsUp said:
michael said:
To be fair though, a battery sitting around unused for a year is not "aging" the same way as a battery that is being used day-in, day-out for the same period.

That's true, it doesn't have the cycling fade, but it is still subject to calendar fade depending on the state of charge and storage conditions (battery temperature). A year old battery is not likely to be as good as a brand new battery unless stored in an ideal manner. There is little way to know how a dealer might have stored the car.

According to the NREL model, a battery loses about 6-7% of it's capacity when stored for a year at normal full charge in a Los Angeles type environment.

GM ships Volts at a very low state of charge....they need to be charged an hour or two just to get the SOC to show the first indication. I don't know how Ford ships the FFE, and there's a possibility the dealer may have charged the car so it can be demonstrated or moved.

References:

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/53817.pdf

http://www.mpoweruk.com/life.htm

Back