New FFE buyer with questions

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemon Head

In a few days I will be picking up a 2013 FFE. After doing lots of research, the car has nearly zero maintenance cost. But things can go wrong with the car. The 3 years is almost up on the manufacturer's warranty and dealerships love to sell you things. Is an extended warranty necessary?

Part 2...
How many times did you have to get something fixed/repaired?

Any advice is appreciated.

You are correct about the near-zero maintenance. There are a lot of electronics, however, plus all the regular stuff that breaks in cars.

Consider getting an ESP (Ford extended warranty). There is a place called Flood Ford that sells them at very reasonable prices, but you need to do it while the car is still under the original factory warranty as I understand it.

http://www.floodfordesp.com/

Looks like a 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty with $200 deductible is about $700, seems worth it to me.

michael said:
http://www.floodfordesp.com/

Looks like a 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty with $200 deductible is about $700, seems worth it to me.
I would tend to agree.

But, is anybody clear that such a warranty actually covers the EV components on the car like the FFE?

Such warranties usually list of covered components such as engine, fuel injection system, automatic transmission, exhaust system, etc.. many of which could be construed to not cover things like electric motors, single-speed gearboxes, high-voltage battery charging system, etc..

That's a legitimate question.

We know the FFE has a 5 year, 60K mile powertrain warranty. The Ford ESP covers "hybrid engine components excluding the high voltage battery"

in a post on this forum

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595

One of our members reported that the manual says...

"Your vehicle's unique hybrid / electric components are covered during the Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

But as we know, battery fade is not covered. I didn't have need to worry about any of this...all I'm worried about is the gap between 36,000 miles and 58,500 miles which my ESP covers.

So, the 5-year/60K "powertrain" warranty presumably includes coverage for any problem that prevents the car from moving under its own power? That would seem, logically, to include all the major EV components, such as electric motor, gearbox, on-board charger, HV battery, cooling system, and supporting modules, since any of these could fail and prevent the car from moving.

So, what does the 8-year/100K warranty cover? The same stuff, or less?

I believe the longer warranty is required in states like CA, that gives incentives for EV purchase (so they require that the cars work). Perhaps the 5-year/60K warranty is offered in places without the stricter state requirements?

The extended warranty Ford ESP Plans appear to have four different levels of coverage:
PowertrainCARE -> 29 components covered
BaseCARE -> 84 components covered
ExtraCARE -> 113 components covered
PremiumCARE -> 1000+ components covered

The highest level (PremiumCARE) is probably closest to the initial 3 year full manufacturer warranty?

NightHawk said:
The extended warranty Ford ESP Plans appear to have four different levels of coverage:
Yes, but the question is, do any of those listed components have anything to do with keeping an EV running?

1000 covered ICE-related components doesn't mean much if the "covered" vehicle is an EV. Also (if indeed that this is the case) then paying for 1000 covered ICE components doesn't make much financial sense for an EV owner.

Not exactly but it's pretty close. There are exceptions such as wind noise. And there may be a deductible. Seethe description

My wife had an electronic failure in an Lexus hybrid. If ishe didn't have extended warranty repair would have been $8000

WattsUp said:
NightHawk said:
Yes, but the question is, do any of those listed components have anything to do with keeping an EV running?

1000 covered ICE-related components doesn't mean much if the "covered" vehicle is an EV. Also (if indeed that this is the case) then paying for 1000 covered ICE components doesn't make much financial sense for an EV owner.

It looks like the price of the warranty at least partially reflects the reduced risk. FFE warranty is actually a little cheaper than Focus ICE, at least for the one example I spot checked.

6 year, 100K miles, Premium, $100 ded: 955 ICE, 875 FFE

I bought the Premium care for 8 years 125K miles with $200 deductible for $1190 from the Flood Ford. Super easy to buy online and I got it added to my car's VIN pretty quickly. Hope to never use it. Bought this coverage on 6/8/2015 when the car was about 8 month s old. I'd recommend the coverage.

Olagon said:
I bought the Premium care for 8 years 125K miles with $200 deductible for $1190 from the Flood Ford. I'd recommend the coverage.

Not trying to be a bad guy, but how can you say you recommend the coverage when you haven't even had to use it (since your car is still under the factory warranty)?

Keith

campfamily said:
Olagon said:
I bought the Premium care for 8 years 125K miles with $200 deductible for $1190 from the Flood Ford. I'd recommend the coverage.

Not trying to be a bad guy, but how can you say you recommend the coverage when you haven't even had to use it (since your car is still under the factory warranty)?

Keith

Good question. I recommend the coverage for peace of mind. I won't worry for 8 years if something goes wrong with the car. There are many different types of problems that could easily cost more than $1,190.

My last gar car, a Subaru Forrester, every problem before we sold it seemed to average more than $2,000. We even got estimates for $4,000!

Also, this is still relatively new technology. It would be pretty amazing if these early generation systems last a long time with no major problems.

campfamily said:
Olagon said:

Keith

True factory extended warranties (not the 3rd party crap you can sometimes see on the internet) can be a good thing. Flood seems to have the best pricing by far. I plan to get mine thru them.

The extended warranty for our (at the time) Mazda MPV was $930.00. There was an issue 2 weeks after the 4/50 warranty expired. The repair bill was $930.08. Warranty paid for itself the first time we used it. And it paid for itself many times over as that engine ate ignition coils.

Bought the Mopar Lifetime warranty on our Grand Caravan for $2048. Again, as stated, hope to never use it, but sleep better knowing it's there. We'll drive it until the wheels fall off.

scottt said:
True factory extended warranties (not this 3rd party crap) can be a good thing.
To what "3rd party crap" are you referring? The warranties from Flood Ford described in this thread are not a 3rd party warranty. They are the Ford ESP. No one has mentioned a 3rd party warranty in this thread.

hybridbear said:
scottt said:
True factory extended warranties (not this 3rd party crap) can be a good thing.
To what "3rd party crap" are you referring? The warranties from Flood Ford described in this thread are not a 3rd party warranty. They are the Ford ESP. No one has mentioned a 3rd party warranty in this thread.

My bad. I meant to say the gunk that you can find on the internet, OTHER than what we've been discussing. I clarified my post, thanks!

scottt said:
campfamily said:
Olagon said:

Keith

True factory extended warranties (not the 3rd party crap you can sometimes see on the internet) can be a good thing. Flood seems to have the best pricing by far. I plan to get mine thru them.

The extended warranty for our (at the time) Mazda MPV was $930.00. There was an issue 2 weeks after the 4/50 warranty expired. The repair bill was $930.08. Warranty paid for itself the first time we used it. And it paid for itself many times over as that engine ate ignition coils.

Bought the Mopar Lifetime warranty on our Grand Caravan for $2048. Again, as stated, hope to never use it, but sleep better knowing it's there. We'll drive it until the wheels fall off.

My experience with extended warranties (twice so far, once through Dodge and the second through Nissan) was that, whatever broke, it wasn't covered. The only time my extended warranty helped was when the exhaust manifolds on my Nissan Armada cracked; then, it turned out that they would have been covered anyway under the California Emissions Warranty.

Keith

campfamily said:
My experience with extended warranties (twice so far, once through Dodge and the second through Nissan) was that, whatever broke, it wasn't covered. The only time my extended warranty helped was when the exhaust manifolds on my Nissan Armada cracked; then, it turned out that they would have been covered anyway under the California Emissions Warranty.
So then the extended warranty didn't matter that time either...

hybridbear said:
campfamily said:

Exactly my point.....so far, extended warranties have not been a good investment for me. For that reason, I have not purchased them since.....

campfamily said:
hybridbear said:
campfamily said:

Exactly my point.....so far, extended warranties have not been a good investment for me. For that reason, I have not purchased them since.....

Our Mazda warranty covered all of our repairs, and there were a LOT of them.

Back