ajolley

Car getting delivered soon

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:11 pm

I've been lurking on this website for a while. I have ordered a new focus (candy blue) which should be delivered really soon now. While originally shopping, the price was very reasonable and I'm afraid now that they've made me wait so long for it, I won't have any bargaining power. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the best deal on a special order? My company does offer x-plan pricing, so I have that, but I'd like to drive a hard bargain and squeeze them out of as much as possible. :)
Also, when I finally get to take a look at it, is there anything specific I should look for to make sure everything is in good working order with no defects?

hybridbear

Re: Car getting delivered soon

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:27 pm

ajolley wrote:I've been lurking on this website for a while. I have ordered a new focus (candy blue) which should be delivered really soon now. While originally shopping, the price was very reasonable and I'm afraid now that they've made me wait so long for it, I won't have any bargaining power. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the best deal on a special order? My company does offer x-plan pricing, so I have that, but I'd like to drive a hard bargain and squeeze them out of as much as possible. :)
Also, when I finally get to take a look at it, is there anything specific I should look for to make sure everything is in good working order with no defects?
The price wasn't pre-negotiated? When we special ordered our Fusion Hybrid the dealership gave us invoice price, no haggling. That was their standard policy. I'd shoot for the same thing now with the FFE. We also had X-Plan as an option, but the dealer gave us a better deal than X-Plan pricing.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

ajolley

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:58 pm

I definitely asked them if I could get the same deal when the car came in and the answer was a resounding no. I figured if they tried to stray too much from the previous price, I'd take my deposit and run (or at least threaten to). I live in the SF Bay area if that makes a difference. I wasn't too impressed with the dealers here...

hybridbear

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:05 pm

ajolley wrote:I definitely asked them if I could get the same deal when the car came in and the answer was a resounding no.
What deal is this?
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

JTCalif

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:41 pm

ajolley wrote:[...] I'd take my deposit and run. I live in the SF Bay area if that makes a difference. I wasn't too impressed with the dealers here...
I did just that (take back my deposit and deal elsewhere) when 1st dealer in Richmond could not get the car from Mich. (scheduling problem). Ford store in Morgan Hill did Fast arrangement with a dealer in Colma CA to get me a car quickly; the price was no bargain, but then we were "early adopters" and FFE was scarce. Later, I found that shops in Petaluma and Novato are helpful and seem knowledgeable.
Where have you tried?
FFE built Jan 2015 (was FFE May 2012)

scottt
Site Moderator

Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:34 am

ajolley wrote:I definitely asked them if I could get the same deal when the car came in and the answer was a resounding no. I figured if they tried to stray too much from the previous price, I'd take my deposit and run (or at least threaten to). I live in the SF Bay area if that makes a difference. I wasn't too impressed with the dealers here...
Wait a sec. They gave you a price, you ordered the car. Now the price is changing?????

Run, don't walk, from this dealer.
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current

ajolley

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:24 am

Is it really that unheard of to put a refundable deposit on a car and not have a price set in stone at the time of deposit? The two dealerships I talked to seemed to think this was normal...

That being said, I can always get my deposit back and walk/run away if they don't come through.

The deal I got was this for a candy blue with leather:

xplan price: 30103
-3500 financing credit
-1000 trade in credit (money on top of what they will give me for my current car)
-2500 California Rebate
-7500 Federal Tax (I know I have to wait until I file my return to get this)

This would come out to $15603 minus my trade in for my 12 year old car I currently have. I figure that's a pretty good deal for a car that's pretty much fully loaded (i.e. leather, navigation, premium sound). Much better than the nissan was offering for the leaf with the same options (minus quick charge) at the time.

The first dealer I went to was in Sunnyvale, which is most convenient for me. Their customer service was horrid and left me feeling they didn't care whether they sold me a car or not, so I left. So I went to Frontier Ford in Santa Clara, which is a little farther, but at least they return my phone calls.

campfamily

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:28 am

ajolley wrote:Is it really that unheard of to put a refundable deposit on a car and not have a price set in stone at the time of deposit? The two dealerships I talked to seemed to think this was normal...

That being said, I can always get my deposit back and walk/run away if they don't come through.

-3500 financing credit
-1000 trade in credit (money on top of what they will give me for my current car)
-2500 California Rebate

This would come out to $15603 minus my trade in for my 12 year old car I currently have. I figure that's a pretty good deal for a car that's pretty much fully loaded (i.e. leather, navigation, premium sound). Much better than the nissan was offering for the leaf with the same options (minus quick charge) at the time.

The first dealer I went to was in Sunnyvale, which is most convenient for me. Their customer service was horrid and left me feeling they didn't care whether they sold me a car or not, so I left. So I went to Frontier Ford in Santa Clara, which is a little farther, but at least they return my phone calls.
You can do much better......Sent you a PM......
GONE - 2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
38,500 miles (since May 2015), average 246 Wh/mile

REPLACED WITH - 2018 Tesla Model3, LR RWD, Obsidian Black
11,000 miles (since Nov 2018), average 235 Wh/mile

scottt
Site Moderator

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:14 am

campfamily wrote:
ajolley wrote:Is it really that unheard of to put a refundable deposit on a car and not have a price set in stone at the time of deposit? The two dealerships I talked to seemed to think this was normal...

-3500 financing credit
-2500 California Rebate

You can do much better......Sent you a PM......

Yes, you can do MUCH MUCH better. I was $15389.99 out the door without a trade in. And that's including taxes, stupid dealer processing fees, license plates, etc. AND, my state does NOT offer any rebate on electric cars.
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current

ajolley

Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:55 pm

I finally picked up my car last sunday and have been busy enjoying it. Here are the details:
MSRP 31435 (for candy blue with leather - xplan)
-1500 (customer savings)
-3500 (rebate for financing through ford - 0% for 60 Months)
+ 2600 sales tax
+ 400 license, destination, blah, blah
=29,500
- 2500 CA state rebate (already submitted)
-7500 federal tax rebate (come april)

I didn't get as much for my trade in as I would have liked, but I can't say I wasn't expecting that.

Thanks!

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”