It's Official - My FFE lease is cheaper than a new ice lease

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair, I do have a 2013 FFE and the comparison is to a 2015 Focus SE. I'm currently paying $187/month and put $700 down on a 3 year lease which is effectively $206.44. The following ad was on TV last night for a 2015 Focus SE. $3143 down and $99/month for 24 months. If you assume its a stripped SE with a price $18460, I would owe another $1172.21 in sales tax. Even without considering interest on the sales tax it yields an average monthly out of pocket of $278.80, and only $740 less that my total payments for 3 years. And I am getting 12k miles v. 10.5k for this SE.

FFE%20Lease.jpg

twscrap said:
I'm currently paying $187/month and put $700 down on a 3 year lease which is effectively $206.44.
How did you get such a cheap lease? That seems way cheaper than anyone else has posted.

Tom French said:
Did you add the down payments into the monthly.
Yes

hybridbear said:
twscrap said:
I'm currently paying $187/month and put $700 down on a 3 year lease which is effectively $206.44.
How did you get such a cheap lease? That seems way cheaper than anyone else has posted.
Not cheaper than jwilson165. He posted here and was made fun of: http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1716

We were coming to the end of our BMW ActiveE lease in early 2014, and at the time rumors about the lease prices for the i3 were insane. As a result we started looking for alternatives. That led us to this forum and jwilson165's post in particular. The dealership that he got his FFE from was within a 2 hour drive so I called them. They couldn't match his deal, but what they offered was low enough that I was willing to take it. Unfortunately it was for a car that wasn't on their lot, and the dealer that had it sold it while we were finalizing the numbers.

At that point I started searching all of New England for leftover 2013 - there were two of them, but I couldn't pin down what dealerships had them. That resulted in me jumping in the car and running down to our local dealer asking if they could get one of them and match the deal that Stoneham had offered, as I didn't want to lose another deal at that price.

Their response was 'This is your lucky day'. They had one on their lot that had been there for over a year. They had just pulled it from the system and were in the midst of buying if from Ford to serve as a loaner and educational vehicle. As they much prefered to sell it than buy it, we ended up with an FFE for less than Heather was spending on gas each month in her Audi A6 Avant.

There was an ad in the LA Times this weekend for $159 / month, don't remember the amount of the down, but it wasn't outrageous (less than $2K if I remember correctly).

twscrap said:
Not cheaper than jwilson165. He posted here and was made fun of: http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1716
Thanks for posting that link. I had browsed those topics before we got our FFE but don't recall reading his whole story. It's cool to read about the incredible deals some have found. I hope we'll be able to find a similar deal on whatever BEV replaces our Focus Electric when the lease is up next summer.

campfamily said:
There was an ad in the LA Times this weekend for $159 / month, don't remember the amount of the down, but it wasn't outrageous (less than $2K if I remember correctly).

When I got home last night I found the ad from the paper over the weekend. The lease was for $159/mo + tax for 36 months, 10,050 miles per year (kind of an odd amount), $1970 customer cash down plus $500 Lease Conquest Cash, $1000 Memorial Day Cash, $8500 RCL Customer Cash, $2129 total cash due at lease signing. Does not include tax, title or acquisition fee. Mileage excess was 20c per mile.

Keith

campfamily said:
campfamily said:

When I got home last night I found the ad from the paper over the weekend. The lease was for $159/mo + tax for 36 months, 10,050 miles per year (kind of an odd amount), $1970 customer cash down plus $500 Lease Conquest Cash, $1000 Memorial Day Cash, $8500 RCL Customer Cash, $2129 total cash due at lease signing. Does not include tax, title or acquisition fee. Mileage excess was 20c per mile.

Keith
I wonder if the 10,050 miles was a typo. That doesn't seem like that great of a deal though since the cost with $0 would be around $220 and this doesn't include tax.

I did some math and figured I'd need a 13,500 mile lease (had that on my ICE Focus as well and we returned it with between 10,500 and 13,500 miles on it).

My simple math was: My commute is 30 miles daily, 10,500 miles yields about 28 miles/day which isn't enough so I went with 13,500 (which is 37 and change miles per day). Granted I don't drive my commute on the weekend but I also wanted some "play" for driving errands. Especially since we drive the FFE around the most: 99% of the time we're going to local stuff, stores, etc. and we take the FFE.

We went with 12k miles since it was only $10 more per month than the 10,500 price. Had we not gotten the i3 we would have used all 12k as we learned with the ActiveE, an EV is the vehicle of choice of everyone in the house. Results in higher miles on it and lower miles on the other cars. The Addition of the i3 has resulted in us only putting about 9K per year on it. You live, you learn...

damania said:
It's hard to drive the EV a lot of miles due to the 76 mile range.

From my personal experience, in my family's seven months of owning the FFE, we have put 7500+ miles so far. I can see easily getting to 13000 per year. We tend to use FFE exclusively over weekends as well, as far as the range can take us. So the other ICE car becomes 5 day commute and long distance drive car. This was one of the reasons why we didn't lease but bought the car.

I know many folks on this forum have reported clocked 15000 annual miles.

hybridbear said:
campfamily said:
campfamily said:

Keith
I wonder if the 10,050 miles was a typo. That doesn't seem like that great of a deal though since the cost with $0 would be around $220 and this doesn't include tax.

My 2015 FFE With tire car and wear care was $220 with no money and x plan.

damania said:
If you have a Level 2 at home its really easy to use the FFE all the time. I drive it for my 30 mile (round trip) commute every day and then we will usually take it for any evening activities (including a Tiger's game which is a 60 mile round trip from our house--I can plug in and be charged up in time to make the game after work).

damania said:
Hmm, pardon, but you don't know what you're talking about.

After 2.5 years, my FFE has 32K miles on it. That's as much as I ever put on my old gassers.

I wasn't "hard" to drive that distance. I drive my FFE to work every day (just like my old car) and charge there. During the week, my FFE is always ready to go when I need it. I also do plenty of leisure driving on the weekend, either charging at home or on the go.

Yes, you cannot go further than 70-80 miles at any one time, but I personally rarely do so (and rarely did before I got my FFE, hence the FFE fit my lifestyle). When I do need to go further, I take a gasser. In the future, I hope to be taking something like a Model S. ;))

I never want to drive a gasoline car again.

After 2.33 years I have 30.4K miles on mine. If I didn't get the Volt to share the daily commute I'd have 44K miles on my FFE by now!

Very easy for me to pile on the miles despite the 76-mile range, thanks to L2 EVSEs at work.

Back