Wanting to buy an FFE but cant test drive

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddh

Hello,

I was looking to buy a new FFE but have never driven one before. The dealer here in Houston has made me a good offer but there are no FFEs within 200 for me to test drive.

I drove 2 Nissan Leafs today and they drove very Nicely, Very Smooth ride and handled/cornered well. Acceleration was acceptable but not stellar.

Because no EV Focus were available I drove an ICE. My girlfriend and I were not impressed at all with the ride. It was the typical bumpy ride you get with most any small mid priced economy car. You could feel every bump and crack and the speed pumps were punishing. Completely opposite from the Leaf. We both expected to like the Focus better than the Leaf but with the ICE Focus that was not the case at all.

All the reviews I have read about the FFE have been good so I am unsure what to think now. Is there a significant difference in the ride and handling of the ICE vs EV. I would like to know what to expect.

After driving the ICE I am having second thoughts about the FFE and may opt for a Leaf.

Any constructive input would be appreciated.

toddh said:
Hello,

I was looking to buy a new FFE but have never driven one before. The dealer here in Houston has made me a good offer but there are no FFEs within 200 for me to test drive.

I drove 2 Nissan Leafs today and they drove very Nicely, Very Smooth ride and handled/cornered well. Acceleration was acceptable but not stellar.

Because no EV Focus were available I drove an ICE. My girlfriend and I were not impressed at all with the ride. It was the typical bumpy ride you get with most any small mid priced economy car. You could feel every bump and crack and the speed pumps were punishing. Completely opposite from the Leaf. We both expected to like the Focus better than the Leaf but with the ICE Focus that was not the case at all.

All the reviews I have read about the FFE have been good so I am unsure what to think now. Is there a significant difference in the ride and handling of the ICE vs EV. I would like to know what to expect.

After driving the ICE I am having second thoughts about the FFE and may opt for a Leaf.

Any constructive input would be appreciated.

I had the ICE Focus before trading it in on the FFE. The first time I test drove a 2012 Focus in May '11 I drove the Titanium model with everything. I was Very impressed with it and decided to buy one. I decided to get the base model with 16" wheel and no extras. After owning it I realized the handling and ride quality was quite a bit different and nowhere near as nice as the Ti version. After a Hail storm pummeled that car, I traded it in on an SEL with the 17" and better interior. It also had the sport suspension. Essentially the base Ti, it just lacked the MFT which I didn't need.

This long answer is to ask did you test drive the Focus Ti version? That is the model to drive to get the feel for how the FFE will fare. The ride is nearly identical between the Ti and the FFE, not at all similar between the SE (base) and FFE.

You also have to keep in mind that the Focus is designed as a European car and thus will have a tighter suspension than most other cars and thus may ride a bit harsher.

Contact Autonation Ford Gulf Freeway and see if they can bring you the white FFE with leather at Autonation Ford Arlington. Remember the $2500 rebate from the state ends June 25th. You might not get it in time if you build a new one in Houston. If they won't bring it to Houston, private message me if you want my salesman's contact info.

jmueller065 said:
You also have to keep in mind that the Focus is designed as a European car and thus will have a tighter suspension than most other cars and thus may ride a bit harsher.

I agree - it is all in your expectations. The Leaf will give you a perched up, soft, Prius like ride where the FFE is more grounded, handles better in the corners and is more powerful and quick in the 20 mph to 75 mph range. I personally like tight well handling, powerful cars.

For what it's worth, I owned a 2014 FFE and though I very much enjoyed that car I enjoy my 2015 even better. The 2015 seems to ride a bit softer. I noticed on some roads that the head rest would bump up against me as I hit bumps, the new one doesn't do that.

Marv said:
For what it's worth, I owned a 2014 FFE and though I very much enjoyed that car I enjoy my 2015 even better. The 2015 seems to ride a bit softer. I noticed on some roads that the head rest would bump up against me as I hit bumps, the new one doesn't do that.
What happened that you went from a 2014 FFE to a 2015 FFE?

My local dealer had 10 of them in stock and it just made sense for me. Plus better cup holders (just kidding).

Thanks for all input.

We just got back from Austin, found a dealer over there with a 2012 FFE that we drover over and took for a test drive. All I can say it the Electric was Night and Day difference from the ICE. Total pleasure to drive. Much smoother, better handling and a real kick to drive. Plus it was much quicker than the Leaf.

The dealer I have been working with is an Autonation and the car in Arlington is the one they were talking about bringing down. My sales guy was supposed to call me today, left him several messages yesterday then found out it was his day off, but never heard from him.

Will see if he responds tomorrow I feel much more comfortable with the FFE now and plan to go that route.

toddh said:
Thanks for all input.

We just got back from Austin, found a dealer over there with a 2012 FFE that we drover over and took for a test drive. All I can say it the Electric was Night and Day difference from the ICE. Total pleasure to drive. Much smoother, better handling and a real kick to drive. Plus it was much quicker than the Leaf.

The dealer I have been working with is an Autonation and the car in Arlington is the one they were talking about bringing down. My sales guy was supposed to call me today, left him several messages yesterday then found out it was his day off, but never heard from him.

Will see if he responds tomorrow I feel much more comfortable with the FFE now and plan to go that route.

Kind of hard to drive in Texas on a 75 mile range?

damania said:
toddh said:
Thanks for all input.

True Texas is spread out but I am keeping the Acura for the longer trips. And the beauty of Houston is the that the biggest hills are the freeway overpasses - otherwise totally flat.

toddh said:
damania said:
toddh said:
Thanks for all input.

True Texas is spread out but I am keeping the Acura for the longer trips. And the beauty of Houston is the that the biggest hills are the freeway overpasses - otherwise totally flat.

Any news? I see that the Arlington location sold its FFE already.

Back