buying used - what to look for and dealership games

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signal twenty

I am (passively) looking at used FFEs. They actually got me to the signing table, but they were trying to throw a few different warranty products at me which jacked up the cost of the vehicle significantly. Ultimately, I didn't sign because I wasn't comfortable. Please tell me your thoughts on this and your experiences (especially buying used).

I don't remember the exact details Google should be able to help you here. With the VIN you can see the original Monroney (window) sticker. This will have all the warranty info on the car. While shopping for mine I found one that might have been a Ford test vehicle because it was missing the 8 year battery warranty and had considerable undercarriage rust for a 2 year old vehicle with 3k miles on it. I would also verify that the car is not a lemon buy back (verify independently do believe what the dealer tells you). I'm not sure if/how the lemon buyback affects the warranty. That would be worth investigating if you want to buy a lemon buy back car. I personally think extended warranties are a waste especially given the 8 year EV component warranty. I haven't looked into it but I'd be curious to find out if Ford spells out specifically what is and isn't covered under the Factory 8 year warranty.

I would definitely try to get the dealer to perform a battery draw down test. You want to reconsider or ask for a reduced price for a seriously degraded battery and walk away if the dealer won't do the test. Be sure to get a CARFAX report on the car and get it checked by an independent mechanic.

If you can get a "certified" car I don't think getting the car checked out is as necessary but still do the battery draw down test. Also, check comparable prices on line and check the value on Kelly Blue Book to make sure your deal is reasonable. The FFE is a pretty robust little car so I wouldn't worry so much about extended warranties.

Hey I jumped in with both feet, closed my eyes, and bought a used FFE from a used car dealer. Granted I had over three years experience with the car, so I kind of knew what to look for.

I'd say phooey on the draw down test. I'm betting no dealer knows how to do that and wouldn't bother with the time to do it. I know there are people here that think the battery degrades a lot and are super worried about that. My feeling is Ford built more than enough protection in the battery to not bother with all that. Just drive the car.

Actually I temper the look the car over with the price. If they are asking a good solid price that is near or below what KBB says it should cost - go for it. If they are charging a premium, get them to do all that stuff - draw down, a brand new 12V battery... whatever you can dream up to push them. Personally, I'd just move along and find something else.

What I'd look for first - a California car. Mileage is totally irrelevant - lower miles isn't necessarily a more valuable car (within reason). These cars can't have many miles put on them - there just isn't enough range. If you're deciding between an older car with more miles and a newer one with fewer and there is a premium for the newer, all things being equal, buy the older car for less money.

Tires, tires, tires - make sure they are good all around. If you are going to replace them, count around $500 for a set. Make sure they all match.

Smell the inside. You don't want a smoker car, unless you smoke. Then you can name your price on a stinky car.

Color - get the one you want. Don't settle for some color you don't like. There are plenty available at good prices.

Walk away like you did over extended warranty talks or other add ons to the car. You don't need any of them.

And I'm not sure CPO is worth it for this car.

Shoot you're going to buy a car that is less expensive than an equivalent Focus ICE. And you aren't spending big pile of money either. So you get two or three years out of driving the car for $9,000 or less. You win big time. If the battery goes dead enough that you can't drive it anymore - well move on.

Anyone shopping for a used FFE, my 2014 FFE with very low mileage (will be just under 9000miles) will finish the 3 year lease at the end of next month 9/30/2017.
Ford dealer will probably ending up sending it to auction where it will probably end up selling somewhere as a used car.
The Ford end of lease buy price is too high, over $15K so it will probably be sold used for less than that.

I'm in southern California - so be on the watch for it in a couple months.
Its an Oxford White 2014 FFE with cloth seats in excellent condition, so would be a bargain at its low mileage if it ends up selling used at a decent price someplace.
It hasn't had the 3G cellular radio upgrade or door handle recall factory fixes, so those will need to be done unless Ford does that themselves before putting it up for sale used.

NightHawk said:
Anyone shopping for a used FFE, my 2014 FFE with very low mileage (will be just under 9000miles) will finish the 3 year lease at the end of next month 9/30/2017.
Ford dealer will probably ending up sending it to auction where it will probably end up selling somewhere as a used car.
The Ford end of lease buy price is too high, over $15K so it will probably be sold used for less than that.

I'm in southern California - so be on the watch for it in a couple months.
Its an Oxford White 2014 FFE with cloth seats in excellent condition, so would be a bargain at its low mileage if it ends up selling used at a decent price someplace.
It hasn't had the 3G cellular radio upgrade or door handle recall factory fixes, so those will need to be done unless Ford does that themselves before putting it up for sale used.

I'm in Southern California as well. My lease ended in June and I happen to know that my car was shipped immediately to Phoeniz, AZ, where it sat at an ADESDA auction lot for two months. Now, it's a rail yard somewhere in Texas. Guess my local dealer had no interest in the car; it was in mint condition though.

We got our 2013 in November last year with 683 miles on it. Yep, 683! CarFax showed it to be a Ford fleet car. Ford auctioned it off and a local dealer picked it up, lucky for us. We paid only $11k for it. Made them do all the recalls before we took possession. Passed on all extended warranties. I hope you get a good deal too!

Back