Anyone else have problems with Value Charging?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klusters

It worked for a while , but I can't seem to get it to value charge, and it just charges whenever I plug it in. This is right after the battery failed after owning the car for a month.

I can't get it to work either. When I turn off the car, the value start time used to read 00:00, now it reads the current time. The car starts charging when plugged in and sends me a text that it is charging, then a few minutes later sends another text stating a charging fault was encountered. After which the car charges at the correct time, 00:00. I had one charge where it did not send a fault and continued to charge at the wrong time.

Who's charging station are you using? It could be a compatability issue with the charging station and FFE. This could be an issue when the charging station see's no current draw it may time out disconnect the power to the car. This then generates a charging fault when the power is disconected. Are you setting the Value charge via the car, or MyFord Mobile?

Note that if you are charging on 120V it is entirely possible that the car would start charging immediately: For example:
You set a go time of 8:00am and come home the day before at 5:00pm. If the car calculates that its going to take >15 hours to be completely charged at your 8:00am go time then its going to start charging immediately when plugged in at 5:00pm.

I've had this happen when I had multiple locations entered. For instance, I had

- Home - value charge
- Work - charge now
- Default - charge now

This would sometimes - not always - get the car to charge immediately even at home. Not good. So I changed it:

- Work - charge now
- Default - value charge

and now it's virtually every time correct.

Proudly powered by Microsoft!

So if you want to schedule specific times to charge using the 120V charger, you're out of luck?

Yup, as far as I can tell. I gave up trying to figure out how to force a specific start/stop time that would be followed regardless of the battery's current state of charge (unless, of course, the battery is 100% charged).

So I surrendered to the value charge, been using it without a hitch until last Monday, when it stopped charging at about 1130pm, said it would resume at some arbitrary time on Tuesday night. I found this unacceptable since I had to go to work in the morning. So I switched over to "Charge Now" and probably won't go back to value charge any time soon. I'm planning on digging up one of my indoor/outdoor 15A Christmas light timers this weekend and putting it to use a a more reliable, predictable alternative to "value charge".

v_traveller said:
I'm planning on digging up one of my indoor/outdoor 15A Christmas light timers this weekend and putting it to use a a more reliable, predictable alternative to "value charge".

I'd like to hear how it goes. I thought something like that timer would cause a charge fault, just like when the trickle charger is unplugged from the wall first instead of from the car first. But I guess it isn't necessarily the same thing.
I don't have demand rates on my electric service, but my 90 year-old house is wired with the kitchen on the same breaker as the garage. So if I'm charging and making toast, the breaker trips. I'd like to be able to turn off charging before breakfast without having to go out to the garage :)

I have a Siemens 240V charger and it has manual settings to delay charging 2-4-6 or 8 hours. So I just stopped using the car value charge settings and use this charger feature instead. The car is set to charge now so I get a message that it is not charging just after being plugged in but it charges right on the charger schedule and I get cheaper TOU meter charging rates.

Back