Ford Extended Service Plan

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwf123

Today I received an email from Ford letting me know I have until 5/29/12 or until I have 12,000 miles to purchase the extended service plan. The plan extends the warranty to 7 years or up to 125,000 miles. I called 888-252-3899 and was told the cost for the Premium Package 7 years 125K is $2480. Laslonda (nice service person @ 313-957-5046) suggested 6 years 125K @ $2267. The next possibility is "Extra Care" covers major components accept electronic components - 6 years 125K @ $1861.

Personally, I used to get extended warranties due to my high mileage driving, but I have never had a need for it. It seems like new cars are incredibly well built and most are good for 150K miles. But, this is a brand new vehicle and who knows what will happen and how expensive will it be to repair. My question is "What do you think?"

Your welcome John, but I am down to 600 miles before decision time... Will you purchase the extended service plan?

We usually NEVER buy service plans but did so for our FFE. Here's why:

- Our car'll be running around 18K per year. The standard warranty'll be done in two years.
- There's a lot of software wrapped around this thing. Since when has software not have bugs or need an update?
- While most of the technology is not new, the configuration is new-ish. There isn't enough experience to know what'll happen over time.
- The differential in reduced maintenance costs due to non-ICE technology over the life of the extension will pay for some of it.
- Our dealer gave the extension to us at dealer cost at the time of purchase.

Jenny

jenjc said:
We usually NEVER buy service plans but did so for our FFE. Here's why:

- Our car'll be running around 18K per year. The standard warranty'll be done in two years.
- There's a lot of software wrapped around this thing. Since when has software not have bugs or need an update?
- While most of the technology is not new, the configuration is new-ish. There isn't enough experience to know what'll happen over time.
- The differential in reduced maintenance costs due to non-ICE technology over the life of the extension will pay for some of it.
- Our dealer gave the extension to us at dealer cost at the time of purchase.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny,

I have some of the same thoughts as well. I also drive a ton of miles - likely even more than that. :?

Did you do the factory Ford ESP? My dealer only offered the MPP. Did you do 7yr/125k? Do you mind sharing the cost? Private via IM is fine if you don't want to post publicly, it would be much appreciated!

Michael

Anyone interested should check out Flood Ford (www.FloodFordESP.com). Don't get ripped off by your dealer. Most dealers charge at least double the actual cost.

hybridbear said:
Anyone interested should check out Flood Ford (http://www.FloodFordESP.com). Don't get ripped off by your dealer. Most dealers charge at least double the actual cost.
Good point, electricbear. I was just going to post that Googgling "Ford ESP" would protect folks from overpriced ESPs. Good that you found a low-cost dealer.

hybridbear said:
Anyone interested should check out Flood Ford (http://www.FloodFordESP.com). Don't get ripped off by your dealer. Most dealers charge at least double the actual cost.
Interesting to note that most of the things (at least transmission and engine wise) covered by the ESP plans listed at floodfordesp.com don't apply to the FFE (for example, spark plugs, emissions equipment, carburator). Since the plans are priced to cover these things, technically, you're paying for lots of coverage that you won't ever be able to use with an EV.

I also could not find any specific references to electric motor or high-voltage battery coverage. What we need is an ESP specifically tailored for EVs, covering things that matter (especially the HVB), and none of the stuff that just doesn't apply.

My guess would be that the list of covered items is standard. Not all the items listed are applicable to all ICE vehicles. I would hope that the price reflected takes that into consideration. I did look at the site and I believe the ICE focus was a little more; however, they did not differentiate the various models. So the Touring edition with more bells and whistles will be the same cost as an SE.

As for the HV battery, the quotes only go out 8 years, so you are already covered.

davideos said:
My guess would be that the list of covered items is standard. Not all the items listed are applicable to all ICE vehicles.
Fair enough, but most do apply to most ICE vehicles.

On the other hand, there are whole classes of covered items listed that make no sense for any EV. I too would hope they take that into account with a lower premium (my intuition is that an EV should cost less to cover since, in theory anyway, there is much less to go wrong and/or wear out).

davideos said:
As for the HV battery, the quotes only go out 8 years, so you are already covered.
Good point.

dwf123 said:
Today I received an email from Ford letting me know I have until 5/29/12 or until I have 12,000 miles to purchase the extended service plan. The plan extends the warranty to 7 years or up to 125,000 miles. I called 888-252-3899 and was told the cost for the Premium Package 7 years 125K is $2480. Laslonda (nice service person @ 313-957-5046) suggested 6 years 125K @ $2267. The next possibility is "Extra Care" covers major components accept electronic components - 6 years 125K @ $1861.

Personally, I used to get extended warranties due to my high mileage driving, but I have never had a need for it. It seems like new cars are incredibly well built and most are good for 150K miles. But, this is a brand new vehicle and who knows what will happen and how expensive will it be to repair. My question is "What do you think?"

I don't see anything on the Internet about 12000 miles just that it be in the new car warranty 3 years 36000 miles.

michael said:
dwf123 said:
Today I received an email from Ford letting me know I have until 5/29/12 or until I have 12,000 miles to purchase the extended service plan.
I don't see anything on the Internet about 12000 miles just that it be in the new car warranty 3 years 36000 miles.
Maybe that's the cut-off to get it at the price offered in the mailer? Perhaps it is a special offer.

WattsUp said:
michael said:
dwf123 said:
Today I received an email from Ford letting me know I have until 5/29/12 or until I have 12,000 miles to purchase the extended service plan.
Maybe that's the cut-off to get it at the price offered in the mailer? Perhaps it is a special offer.

I checked the Flood Ford website.

For my 2013 FFE, the premium for a 3 year 60,000 mile "premium car" policy with $50 deductible is $525. Whether I put the present mileage at 5000 or 35000, doesn't change. If I put the present mileage at 37,000 (new car warranty expired) it say "not available".

Furthermore....their prices are MUCH lower than the solicitation from the "nice lady". Even a zero deductible 125K mile 8 year policy is $2060. With a $100 deductible, it drops to $1485.

Thanks to whoever mentioned Flood. It will be interesting to see if anyone else is even lower. But in any event, I can see little reason to buy an extended warranty until shortly before the new car warranty expires. What if you decide to sell the car? What if it's wrecked or stolen?

In my case, I'm going to keep the car for 22,000 miles past the end of the bumper to bumper warranty. If pretty much anything breaks, it will cost more than the $525 premium...for me, it's worth it.

Also....I did notice that the premium for an FFE is lower than the premium for a regular focus. The same coverage that $525 for me would be $560 for a regular Focus. Probably the reason the difference is so low is that the powertrain warranty would still be in effect at 60K miles (it runs 5 years/60K miles in any case)

I bought an extended warranty from a third party that went bankrupt and poof there went my warranty. Paid over $2,000 for it too. Be careful if you buy an extended warranty from another company. Look up reviews and check how long they have been in business.

michael said:
Thanks to whoever mentioned Flood. It will be interesting to see if anyone else is even lower. But in any event, I can see little reason to buy an extended warranty until shortly before the new car warranty expires. What if you decide to sell the car? What if it's wrecked or stolen?
The wrecked or stolen case would be bad, but having an extended warranty could be a big selling point when trying to sell your FFE used. You might be able to re-coup some of the cost, and the warranty could be very valuable (and reassuring) to the prospective buyer.

WattsUp said:
michael said:
The wrecked or stolen case would be bad, but having an extended warranty could be a big selling point when trying to sell your FFE used. You might be able to re-coup some of the cost, and the warranty could be very valuable (and reassuring) to the prospective buyer.

The point is, you don't need to buy the extended warranty until just before 3 years/36000 miles. I can see no advantage committing the money until then.

And in fact, I don't see anything that says only the original purchaser of the car can get it....the subsequent buyer can as well, provided it's still within 3/36 (as best I can tell..)

Olagon said:
I bought an extended warranty from a third party that went bankrupt and poof there went my warranty. Paid over $2,000 for it too. Be careful if you buy an extended warranty from another company. Look up reviews and check how long they have been in business.

You are totally right. The ones we are discussing are issued by Ford itself.

michael said:
Olagon said:
You are totally right. The ones we are discussing are issued by Ford itself.

Do you mean Flood Auto Group (http://www.floodfordesp.com/). Isn't this just a smaller sized dealership and not Ford itself? http://www.floodauto.com/section/secondary/about-us/.

Olagon said:
Do you mean Flood Auto Group (http://www.floodfordesp.com/). Isn't this just a smaller sized dealership and not Ford itself? http://www.floodauto.com/section/secondary/about-us/.
Yes, but they are selling Ford's extended warranty plans (not a third party warranty) just like any Ford dealership, only without the insane markups.

Back