Insurance FYI

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTOGreg

I guess I wasn't altogether surprised, but due to the amount of electrical components and such, insurance rates run quite a bit higher on this model. I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well and while similar in initial cost, the Jeep is nearly 2/3 the yearly cost for collision insurance (600/yr: 1000/yr). In the grand scheme of things not enough to break the deal for me but something others may want to consider nonetheless. Really like this car though and I'm a gearhead through and through. And its American made?!? I'm already signed.

I have Travelers Auto Ins - rate for my Focus EV is the same as for my 2012 Focus ICE.

State Farm is covering my FFE for about $625/yr, $1K deductible and max on everything else. About the same as my 07 Ram and 05 C-Class. I was pleasantly surprised.

GEICO doesn't list this model, so they cover it as a Ford "Other" with the premium based on the purchase price. In my case, around $325/6 mo or so with high limits and low deductibles. Of course, with any insurance product, your mileage will vary.

I suspect rates may go down slightly once insurers adjust their premiums based on the recent IIHS crash test results.

I am shopping around and using the prices to push my existing insurer. Apparently keeping a perfect record customer isn't incentive enough. I have had to do this before so maybe my expectations are high but no worries.

I found that All-State has the ford focus electric listed as Ford Focus BEV and maybe others have it listed that way as well.

one of the things that helped tip the scale for me to buy the FFE was that I'm getting a better discount because we have multi Vehicles insured with the same company. $37.00 / month isn't hard to take. our ice vehicles are costing better than twice as much each.

Zurc :)

As part of our consideration of the Focus Electric I investigated what it would do to our insurance rates. Geico charges a very high price for the Focus Electric, about $20 more than what we pay for the Prius that would be replaced by the FFE. However, I did some shopping around and found that esurance would cover our Fusion Hybrid & a Focus Electric for only about $7/month more than what we pay now with Geico for the FFH & Prius. So, if we get a Focus Electric we will be switching car insurance companies.

Back