Technical Service Bulletin TSB 12-8-20

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitgallman

I had a problem with the range diminishing a little each day, down to only 58 miles after charging all night.
It was fixed by reflashing the computers (BECM, PCM and ABS) per TSB 12-8-20. OUTOFGAS charges to 80 miles range when full now.

Tsb 12-08-20 - reduced driving range, intermittent no start or no high voltage battery charging

Evidently the Electric Focus is available by special order from any US Ford Dealer that is 'certified' for Electric Vehicles. My local Ford Dealer in Charlotte, NC Keith Hawthorne, just got certified and put in level 2 charging stations. So I didn't have to drive back to Long Island, NY to have it fixed.

Happy Motoring!!!
OUTOFGAS and loving it.

whitgallman said:
I had a problem with the range diminishing a little each day, down to only 58 miles after charging all night.
It was fixed by reflashing the computers (BECM, PCM and ABS) per TSB 12-8-20. OUTOFGAS charges to 80 miles range when full now.

Tsb 12-08-20 - reduced driving range, intermittent no start or no high voltage battery charging

whitgallman,

Mine's still on order, but I would like to know what the references you mentioned are. Could you explain what BECM, etc. is? Also, what is TSB 12-08-20?

TSB is Technical Service Bulletin (a knotch below a recall)
Automakers keep records of the warranty repairs they have to make and if they're redundant, they issue this Bulletin to dealers with the standard fix for the common problem. The automakers don't make them public. Not all cars subject to the bulletin develop the problem. They only want to fix the ones under warranty that customers complain about. But if you show up at the dealer with a complaint, they look through the Tech Service Bulletins first.
If there are common problems that affect the safety of the occupants, The government steps in and forces a recall. TSBs are not that severe.

TSB 12-8-20 is to update the software on the cars 3 computers Body/Entertainment Computer Module, Powertrain Commputer Module and the Antilock Braking System computer. Supposedly this reflash helped them communicate better and corrected the algorithems the car uses to estimate remaining range. Mine reads 84 miles fully charged now.
They may have fixed this problem by changing the design before yours ships.

I use an average 241 almost 250 watt-hours per mile. 4 miles per kW-h. The car has 23 kW-h of batteries. 15% was held in reserve. so I should have (4miles/kW-h X 20 kW-h) = 80 miles range.

down to only 58 miles after charging all night.

Whit - I have a similar problem. My range has gotten very low. After 8500 miles of driving I am only showing 52-54 miles of range.

That being said... I use the enhanced trip meter for all of my driving. If I average 250 watts per mile I can still get the 80 miles of range, no matter what the gauge says.

My question to you is "When your gauge said 58 miles and if you were driving 250 watts per mile were you able to exceed the 58 miles?" Or "Did the flashing extend the actual range of the car or did it simply recalibrate the battery display?"

Thanks, Wood

Wood,
I think it was just a math problem and NOT actual diminishing battery capacity. I had made a couple of 78 mile trips with only 72 miles of range showing, but had 9 to 14 bonus miles when I got there. it shows 80 to 83 miles range now.
Whit

PS Do you run your Focus EV in California? North Carolina?

Whit,
That is what I expected about the flashing. I think they are just wiping out the old info and letting you start from scratch but not really doing anything with the actual battery relationship. I am not sure if or how the algoritum actually interacts with the battery in any way regarding charge limitations. I would doubt it limits it at all. However, I am shortly due for my 10,000 mile checkup and I will ask them to flash the system as suggested in the TSB.

I drive in RI. You and I both purchased cars from NY. If I remember right you ended up trailering yours home behind a Dodge Ram Diesel. I was able to drive mine home owing to only a 200 mile distance.

I have been very fortunate not to have any issues. I read about Marc and others who have experienced this Stop Safely Now notice and cringe at the problems. Ford, apparantly, has stepped up and solved most of them or in Marc's case replaced the car.

We need a new Topic on heaters. Mine is burning a whole in my watts usage. I round trip 80 miles per day so I get a little nervous when the battery says 50 miles of range in the morning.....

I just got my 2012 FFE 2 months ago and I was beginning to notice exactly what you are talking about. The range would slowly decrease each day by a few miles. I was thinking it had something to do with my poor driving efficiency or an intrinsic issue with the lithium batteries. I'm much relieved to see this post and will go in to the dealer soon for TSB 12-8-20. It would have been nice to get a notice from Ford!

I notice my range dropping due to my Wh per mile going up from about 265 to 320. I thought it was the cold weather battery heater.

Hi, I just got my 2012 FE yesterday. How can I know whether this TSB has been taken care of on my car?

Thank you.

When I bought a 2013 FFE on 31 Dec 2012, the dealer told me TSB 12-8-20 applies only to 2012 vehicles and the issue has already been handled in all 2013s.

mountaineer said:
When I bought a 2013 FFE on 31 Dec 2012, the dealer told me TSB 12-8-20 applies only to 2012 vehicles and the issue has already been handled in all 2013s.

Mountaineer, You have been a busy blogger today. Good information on many topics. Thank you.

During my 10,000 mile checkup I specifically requesed they run the TSB on my 2012 FFE. They told me it wasn't needed for my vehicle. If you talk to your dealer would you ask him if the TSB should be performed on all 2012 FFEs'. Or was it for only a specific set of VINs'. My vehicle came from the first deliveries.

Feel free to message me and thanks, Wood Foss

My wife had trouble starting our 2012 FFE a couple times. She would press the starter button and nothing would happen. I figured out a way around it, I would remote start with the key or via the internet. We took it into the dealer and they applied the TSB 12-8-20 reprogramed the BECM, PCM and ABS modules. So far for a day there has been no problems. The 'fuel' gauge is also showing more range than before. Good info I picked up here.
The dealer found a couple OBD/DTC codes P0D08 and U3000 which I could not find on the internet.But the car runs fine now.

Back