California Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals Reminder

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenRPMs

Just thought I would put out a little reminder for those who are lucky enough to get a Ford Focus Electric in California to not forget to apply for your Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

You will need this decal to drive in carpool lanes etc. If you are going to buy a Ford Focus Electric you might as well maximize all the benefits your state will give you. California is very generous in this regard with focus electric ev's also getting handsome rebates among other perks.

I love the synergy I find in the Ford Focus Electric forum. That is a lot of valuable informatoin for Cali. people. Carpool lanes on top of a Focus Electric? How great is that?

Yes, you do. (Mine finally arrived today!!!)
Not only do you get to ride in the car-pool lane but bridge tolls are only $2!!! (This is worth close to $500 a year to me).

I submitted my application last month and DMV still has not cashed my check. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to process the decal request?

Current stickers are valid until July 2015, but there is a bill in the state senate right now to extend to 2025!

That would be cool. So are they extending plug-in hybrids as well as zero emission vehicles? I couldn't figure it out by doing a quick search....

I cannot for the life of me figure out if my *leased* FFE qualifies for the CAV decals.

When I look at the application form (here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf) I see no mention of leases, and they want the current registered owner. Since I haven't leased a vehicle before I'm unsure of what the CA DMV thinks of as the owner... are they saying I am, or the leasing company?

When you lease a vehicle, you're considered the "registered lessee". The leasing institution (dealer, manufacturer, etc. -- whoever your lease is with) holds the title for the vehicle, as they are the actual owner. They are also considered the "registered lessor".

The vehicle is registered to you as the lessee, right? Did you receive registration card and plates from the DMV yet? Do they have your name on them as the lessee and the other party as the lessor?

I'm sure you can claim the decals. You think all those Prii on the road with decals were all purchased? ;) I would simply put your information (from your DMV registration card) in the "registered owner" portion of the CA form.

You can claim the stickers if you are leasing. I got mine for my lease and my wife loves cruising the carpool lane in I5 rush hour traffic, its a really great benefit.

WattsUp said:
When you lease a vehicle, you're considered the "registered lessee".
[...]
The vehicle is registered to you as the lessee, right? Did you receive registration card and plates from the DMV yet? Do they have your name on them as the lessee and the other party as the lessor?

I'm sure you can claim the decals.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. Part of the problem is I haven't ever leased, so I wasn't sure what it looked like to the DMV. I only signed the lease last Saturday, so I don't have the DMV paperwork yet. I have to wait for the plates to arrive before I can file for the decals.

In fact, I haven't even driven the car yet even though I've had it since Sunday. I haven't even been a passenger, at least not while it was moving. The wifey has fallen in love with it and made it her own!

Thanks for the responses.

So as someone who leased your Focus, what did you enter in the Decal Application form in Section A? Just your own name and address (no mention required of the lease owner (bank)?).

Simon

Yes, your name and address go in Section A. I have a lease, and it worked for me.

When you get your sticker, I suggest you see WattsUp's post, titled "CA HOV sticker placement advice", on MFM Discussions.

Yeah, the form is unclear. It makes it feel like you are claiming you own the car. Nonetheless, that is how you are supposed to fill it out, even as a lessee.

Back