Ford Focus Electric First Drive Reviews

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the links!

It seems to me like most reviews are impressed with the Ford Focus Electric, but when comparing it to the Nissan Leaf they don't think the Focus EV has enough positive features.

Interesting comment from Inside Line's review:
"The 2012 Ford Focus Electric may have a slightly longer range than the Nissan Leaf and be even more energy-efficient, but at least the Nissan feels unique from behind the wheel, thanks in no small part to the fact that all of its major masses are centralized low down between the wheels."

It's funny, and actually quite confusing the variety of reviews that people post of the Ford Focus Electric. It almost seems like some people are trying to find faults, while others are clearly wanting to make sure Ford is happy with their review so that they'll be invited to more vehicle first drives in the future.

Here's a contrasting opinion from AOL AutoBlog Green:
"All in, the Focus Electric is substantially more fun to drive than a Nissan Leaf, which has a tendency to feel more appliance-like than anything. Sure, this Focus EV is no sport's car, but if you're not one to sacrifice driving dynamics for the sake of maximum efficiency, it absolutely delivers. And it's far, far better than the golf-cart-on-steroids Mitsubishi i."

It's funny, and actually quite confusing the variety of reviews that people post of the Ford Focus Electric. It almost seems like some people are trying to find faults, while others are clearly wanting to make sure Ford is happy with their review so that they'll be invited to more vehicle first drives in the future.

Here's a contrasting opinion from AOL AutoBlog Green:
"All in, the Focus Electric is substantially more fun to drive than a Nissan Leaf, which has a tendency to feel more appliance-like than anything. Sure, this Focus EV is no sport's car, but if you're not one to sacrifice driving dynamics for the sake of maximum efficiency, it absolutely delivers. And it's far, far better than the golf-cart-on-steroids Mitsubishi i."

I think reviewers bring some personal bias with them. Gear heads, EVangilists, and Techies want different things from EVs. But that helps to see FFE from different perspectives. To me, tentative tone is response to limited testing time in the vehicle. It seems very conventional, which was Ford's goal.

As far as FFE strengths, Style has to be one for those that prefer a more “conventional, American, Sporty” look. The 6.6kW on-board charger is twice as fast as the LEAF/ iMiEV, which is important to those that will charge away from home. And SYNC® with MyFord Touch® technology will be a plus if well implemented and user friendly.

Full drive reviews and customer deliveries will paint a more comprehensive picture.

Drove Focus Electric and Nissan LEAF back to back today at EVS26 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Short street only course. LEAF has open, roomy feel, with a softer ride. Focus more sporty, tighter suspension tune. LEAF has better brake pedal regen integration. Focus is a great looking design in person. Trunk volume is a wash, but shape is different. both have smooth, quiet drivetrains with strong torque. Not decisive, but Focus is very appealing.

Everyone has their bias on everything, including the Focus Electric. These biases don't necessarily have anything to do with any practical complaints. It may be a horn or halo effect on somthing similar such as the shape of the grill. I personally know the Focus Electric is an amazing car, and I want one.

Mine has about 1000 miles on it now. Some thoughts.
The 'trunk' even though small has plenty of room to throw my collection of extension cords I use in the 120V outlet at work.
The head (male end) on the 120volt charging cord is a right angle one which is a problem with the particular outlet at work which is in a weather tight enclosure.
The car is not dripping any oil onto the pavement to mark my territory / parking space.
It's really quiet so I have to be especially careful when backing out of spaces in shopping centers to look for people. A little back up alarm like trucks have (but not as loud) would be great.
The wild bunny that forages in my neighborhood in the morning is not disturbed by it.
I'm still not used to alot of the dashboard stuff yet.
The MyFordMobile stuff doesn't work as it can't contact my car. (It does now. see posts on MyFordMobile.)
I've been reminded that there is a warning about NOT using any extension cord with the 120V convenience charger. The Convenience cord is 16 gauge wire. Make sure your extension cord is a real heavy duty 12 gauge one and keep it as short as possible. As a test, after the cord has been used a few minutes, check it to see if it is very warm. If it is, your cord needs to have bigger gauge wire (smaller gauge number is bigger wire).

whitgallman said:
The MyFordMobile stuff doesn't work as it can't contact my car.

Thanks Whit. This was a question I had weeks ago, what if one's home/garage/driveway was out of the ATT data coverage area? Someone posted that the Focus can connect thru wi-fi and assumed that owners could communicate with their Focus through their home wi-fi. A Ford Rep with the MyFord App commented on one of these forums that that is not the case, the Focus MyFord App will only connect through the ATT network.

I guess that is your situation, unless you are indicating there is some other problem?

I don't know if I'll be able to use all the MySync and dashboard stuff either, lol.

My issue with "MyFordMobile" was resolved by pulling and replacing Fuse #1 in the rear fuse block. That evidently rebooted the "TCU" embedded modem. ALL IS FINE NOW!!!

One lesson from nuclear plant class is that " if you don't know why what you did fixed it, it isn't really fixed."
That's the case here. The MyFordMobile app has been intermittant.
But, there are a group of engineers at Dearborn who are still on the case. I'm learning a lot from them.
It may be that the Machine to machine interface communication doesn't always get the signal through, just like when you cell phone can't get a signal through, system too busy, not strong enough signal, parked in a 'dark' spot.

Is anybody else having trouble with MyFordMobile?

As a wireless communications engineer that was what prompted my earlier questions and "signal strength" is the first thing I would look for. There probably is no way to find that, not even a rough "4 bar" icon or anything?

Is anybody else having trouble with MyFordMobile?

2 items - 1) It frequently does not update. It is good at home but poor at work so I chaulk that up to AT&T which is the data service Ford uses to communicate with the car. 2. I cannot access the discussion forums.

Other then that I have not had the problems Whit has reported. It seems to work well, slow website, but all of my information is there and I can update, start the car - most of the time and keep track of lots of information.

Back