2020 Mach 1

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas FFE

I am assuming that the Ford BEV SUV is going to be called the Mach 1. There are already commercials about the Mach1, https://insideevs.com/ford-confirms-mach-1-performance-suv-2020-launch/, but no real details other than what we already know about the upcoming BEV SUV. It’s being advertised as a “performance” SUV which really makes you wonder.

I think the Mach 1 is going to be a 2020 model. We are going to have to see a concept very soon if Ford is going to make 2020. We should also start seeing pre-production units early next year.

As much hype Ford is giving the Mach 1 in the commercial, I think the Mach 1 is going to rival the performance of most mainstream gasoline SUVs. In addition to the 300 mile range, I think we can expect the Mach1 to be AWD and to have 300+ horsepower. I also expect it to be larger than the Ecosport and to look something like the new Ranger and Bronco.

The Mach 1 is probably going to be much more popular than our beloved Focus Electric. If the options are right I hope to trade up to a Mach 1 but probably after they get the kinks worked out. We need a forum to specifically talk about this new Mach 1, if anyone knows of an existing Mach 1 forum please post a link.

Very interesting. To date I had always thought Ford's mythical 300 mile SUV was just going to be an EcoSport stuffed with batteries (like the FFE).

Given that the FFE was built at Wayne assembly and the new Ranger/Bronco will now be built there it is reasonable to speculate that the "Mach 1" will be an EV Bronco (why not they already have the EV supply chain in place).

Also note that we haven't really seen what the new Bronco will look like either.

Well that's a horrible name. Mach I belongs with a Mustang and nothing else, ever. To chuck such an iconic name on a stinking SUV - pitiful.

Of course there are Mach I forums - they're all about Mustangs.

And no, please don't start a forum for a not released or official car yet. A thread is more than enough...

Sorry Texas FFE - I understand you are talking about what you saw and how excited you are about 300 mile range and an SUV. I'm certainly a small minority view of hating SUV's.

EVA said:
Well that's a horrible name. Mach I belongs with a Mustang and nothing else, ever. To chuck such an iconic name on a stinking SUV - pitiful.

Of course there are Mach I forums - they're all about Mustangs.

And no, please don't start a forum for a not released or official car yet. A thread is more than enough...

Sorry Texas FFE - I understand you are talking about what you saw and how excited you are about 300 mile range and an SUV. I'm certainly a small minority view of hating SUV's.

Ford is saying that the Mach 1 will be an electric SUV with Mustang DNA. If it's packaged right the name could work. Anyway, Ford has said that the name is not yet set in stone and, if enough people like you object to the name, they can change it.

I'm just happy to have a name to call the new Ford BEV SUV. I think your right about the forum though, I think we need to at least need to see a concept before we start a forum. But still, if there is a forum dedicated to the new BEV SUV by Ford I would like to see it and be a part of it.

I definitely understand your desire not to have to deal with the weight and expense of an SUV all the time. But as you can see from my signature, I have three cars and I find my smoker SUV indispensable at times. If I can purchase a BEV SUV that meets my needs and allows me to whittle my stable down to two cars and not feel guilty about driving a smoker, I'm going to.

EVA said:
I'm certainly a small minority view of hating SUV's.
You are not alone.

I find it amusing that SUV drivers from 5-10 years ago wouldn't touch a hatch back with a 10ft pole and now what passes for a SUV these days is simply a vertically stretched hatchback that these same people are snatching up in droves.

According to CGR, there is supposed to be a “Ford Uncovered” event tomorrow where Ford is supposed to discuss upcoming offerings. Maybe we will get more information on the Mach 1 and some of the other upcoming EV models. Keep an eye out for media reports tomorrow.

Texas FFE said:
According to CGR, there is supposed to be a “Ford Uncovered” event tomorrow where Ford is supposed to discuss upcoming offerings. Maybe we will get more information on the Mach 1 and some of the other upcoming EV models. Keep an eye out for media reports tomorrow.

The “Ford Uncovered” was a disappoint, all about SUVs and hybrids. No mention of PHEVs or BEVs.

Texas FFE said:
Texas FFE said:

The “Ford Uncovered” was a disappoint, all about SUVs and hybrids. No mention of PHEVs or BEVs.

I read this in an article about the event.

"Shown were a dozen refreshed or brand-new nameplates — including an unnamed battery-electric four-door utility vehicle “with the rebel soul of a Mustang” — all to be released within the next two years."

Would that not be the vehicle in question? Was it not "shown"? Is this it?

B99639316Z.1_20180315135650_000_GMV1TPBTF.1-0.jpg

Carbuff said:
Texas FFE said:
Texas FFE said:

I read this in an article about the event.

"Shown were a dozen refreshed or brand-new nameplates — including an unnamed battery-electric four-door utility vehicle “with the rebel soul of a Mustang” — all to be released within the next two years."

Would that not be the vehicle in question? Was it not "shown"? Is this it?

B99639316Z.1_20180315135650_000_GMV1TPBTF.1-0.jpg
My guess is that silhouetted vehicle is the new Bronco--they have started teasing it lately.

Don't get your hopes up with Ford on anything with a plug: Not only did they drop the ball, someone kicked it away and now they've lost it.

My C-Max lease is up next year and I've been looking for a 200+ mile BEV to lease in its place. So far I'll have the choice of:
  • Chevy Bolt
  • Jaguar I-Pace !
  • A bunch of different Tesla's
  • Hyundai Kona EV
Since I didn't reserve a 3 and don't have the $$ for an S, or X (or the I-Pace for that matter) I'm left to ponder a Bolt and the Kona EV.

I was able to Turo a Bolt for our next vacation--that should be interesting. From what I've been able to determine the Kona EV will be available in the US sometime this summer (June one article mentioned). However, don't know if that will be California only or not (Hyundai's only other EV is a California only car).

Update: Here is more info, however scant, on Ford's plans (This is probably just a summary of the event mentioned above.)

jmueller065 said:
Don't get your hopes up with Ford on anything with a plug: Not only did they drop the ball, someone kicked it away and now they've lost it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks! I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Sad that it's the truth but I think you nailed it! It would be nice if they had something decent coming out soon but I'm not holding my breath.

jmueller065 said:
My guess is that silhouetted vehicle is the new Bronco--they have started teasing it lately.

[/quote]

The silhouetted vehicle is not the Bronco. It is a smaller unnamed off-road SUV, roughly Escape sized.

Also, it seems like the Mach 1 name may have been dropped. After much backlash, it was made clear that it was just something they were thinking of calling it. The last time I watched that teaser video for it, the Mach 1 name at the end was no longer there. So the name is probably still on the drawing board.

triangles said:
jmueller065 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks! I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Sad that it's the truth but I think you nailed it! It would be nice if they had something decent coming out soon but I'm not holding my breath.

I got a nice chuckle out of that as well. I'm a life long Ford lover that is just waiting for Ford to come out with something other than the Focus to keep me in the CA HOV lanes. I'm four and a half years into owning my 2014 Energi and the lane privilege terminates at the end of the year. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Focus Electric to bridge the gap to the SUV I guess. I'd buy an electric SUV or an electric Mustang TODAY if I could.

Back