2019 Ford Focus Electric?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas FFE

We all know that the 2019 Ford Focus is going to be completely redesigned and there are already spy photos of the 2019 Ford Focus. I have also read that the new Focus is going to be about 2 inches longer than the current Focus. The redesigned longer body could allow room for the battery pack to be entirely under the floor instead of half of it in the trunk.

I know some people are saying that the Focus Electric won’t make it past 2018 but I’ve also read that the 2019 Focus might be a triple platform (HEV, PHEV & BEV) like the Ioniq and the BEV version might get a 50 kWh pack giving it a 200 mile range. The triple platform makes a lot more sense than continuing the Focus as a gas only car. I plan to keep my 2017 FFE until the wheels run off but it would be nice to see our beloved FFE continue to evolve.

I thought they were scrapping the focus electric to come out with a 200+ mile small suv. I always thought an all electric cmax would have been easier for ford to make than converting the focus ice car.

Where are they going to build it? They are shutting down the Michigan assembly plant mid this year to retool that factory to make Ranger and Bronco. The Chinese factory for the Focus isn't slated to go into production until late 2019? They scrapped plans to build a plant for the Focus in Mexico so to my knowledge from Mid 2018 to late 2019 There will be no Focus ICE or Electric for North America that I'm aware of. Somebody tell me I am wrong! I just found this nugget. It says they will be making the 300 mi SUV EV in Mexico but nothing about the FFE.

The article I read on the 2019 FFE was published on pushevs.com and came out last November with a December update. There was no mention on where the 2019 FFE was going to be built. Remember the Focus is just one of the Ford models that will be getting additional electrification in the upcoming model years which doesn’t diminish Ford’s other plans like offering an all electric 300 mile SUV.

Ford plans to spend $11 billion on electrification by 2022; Which is less than four years away!!! By 2022 Ford plans to be producing 40 electrified vehicles of which 16 are supposed to Battery Electric Vehicles with the rest being Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicles; https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-detroit-ford-motor/ford-plans-11-billion-investment-40-electrified-vehicles-by-2022-idUSKBN1F30YZ. One or two of the 16 BEV vehicles might be dedicated BEV models only but most of the BEVs vehicles will have to be multi propulsion platform vehicles like the Focus is now (hopefully with better integrated EV design).

Ford current only produces 17 different models, not counting commercial vehicles. If Ford keeps with its' plan, almost every Ford model will have to get a BEV variant. Based on Fords electrification plans, I don't see how the Focus can continue without a BEV variant but I am also excited that we will have 15 other BEV choices from Ford besides the Focus Electric.

Texas FFE said:
Ford plans to spend $11 billion on electrification by 2022; Which is less than four years away!!! By 2022 Ford plans to be producing 40 electrified vehicles of which 16 are supposed to Battery Electric Vehicles with the rest being Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicles; https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-detroit-ford-motor/ford-plans-11-billion-investment-40-electrified-vehicles-by-2022-idUSKBN1F30YZ. One or two of the 16 BEV vehicles might be dedicated BEV models only but most of the BEVs vehicles will have to be multi propulsion platform vehicles like the Focus is now (hopefully with better integrated EV design).

Ford current only produces 17 different models, not counting commercial vehicles. If Ford keeps with its' plan, almost every Ford model will have to get a BEV variant. Based on Fords electrification plans, I don't see how the Focus can continue without a BEV variant but I am also excited that we will have 15 other BEV choices from Ford besides the Focus Electric.

Keep in mind that 40 number is wordwide, not just North America so I'm guessing that there will be fewer options here than you think. They also may be "overcounting" (e.g. making a PHEV and a BEV Mustang--that would count as 2).

Some specifics on the plant changeover just came out.
May 7 - Oct 22. We’ll have to wait and see when the details for the 2019 come out. It seems likely that there’ll be a gap in production between 2018 and 2019 model years.

I haven’t seen any mention of upcoming BEVs that come before 2020 calendar year. Though it was detailed there are 7 BEVs coming to North America by 2022, and 25 (unspecified) vehicle launches by 2019.

See slide 25 in this presentation.
http://shareholder.ford.com/~/media...entations/2018/deutsche-bank-presentation.pdf

Texas FFE said:

Well, I was extremely disappointed at the showing Ford made at the Cleveland Auto Show this year, considering their stated commitment to BEVs and electrification. They brought NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING. Not a Focus Electric, not a C-Max or Fusion Energi, not even a standard Hybrid!
Ford had been boasting that they were investing 4.5 Billion, then they upgraded it to 11 Billion, and they didn't bring ONE Plug In Vehicle to the show? Heck, they didn't even bring a sign that says "Hey, we're investing Billions in Electrification"

So, so disappointed, I cannot tell you.

I didn't make it to the Detroit Auto Show this year but last year I did and they had the FFE practically hidden. It was pretty sad but not surprising that I was educating the rep on the FFE. At least they had a rep for people to talk to about the FFE. I don't see another Ford in my future. I have no need or desire for a CUV or SUV and it doesn't look like Ford will have anything remotely competitive when I will next be in the market for another vehicle.

triangles said:
I didn't make it to the Detroit Auto Show this year but last year I did and they had the FFE practically hidden. It was pretty sad but not surprising that I was educating the rep on the FFE. At least they had a rep for people to talk to about the FFE. I don't see another Ford in my future. I have no need or desire for a CUV or SUV and it doesn't look like Ford will have anything remotely competitive when I will next be in the market for another vehicle.

At the Cleveland show in 2017, the did have a few Energis, but no FFE. Again, nothing this year.

It’s certainly a slow time in the refresh cycle, but there’s going to be interesting stuff coming over the next few years. SUVs and CUVs will certainly get more love, as that’s what is selling these days. Based on the Mach 1 teaser video from the auto show, it’s clear the BEV CUV/SUV(?) coming in 2020 will be sporty. So I think that should make up for it not being a car. At least to me it should.

Back