SteveP

Re: Illuminated Door Sills

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks! :-)

EVA

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Great write up. Thank you so much.

Kind of glad you did this now and not six months ago. When we bought the most recent FFE, I looked long and hard at the illuminated door sills. There was one that said Electric. I couldn't find anybody that did the work, so it was a bit of an unknown trying to find the right wires. And then my wife said she didn't want a light show when she opened the door. Kind of killed the idea. Instead, I ended up buying stainless steel Electric sills. Not quite what you got SteveP - but still sweet.
2014 Platinum White FFE (Turning in mid Dec. 2016 25,000 miles)
2013 Ingot Silver FFE
2012 Titanium ICE Focus
2014 Tesla Model S 85

SteveP

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:37 am

EVA wrote:Great write up. Thank you so much.

Kind of glad you did this now and not six months ago. When we bought the most recent FFE, I looked long and hard at the illuminated door sills. There was one that said Electric. I couldn't find anybody that did the work, so it was a bit of an unknown trying to find the right wires. And then my wife said she didn't want a light show when she opened the door. Kind of killed the idea. Instead, I ended up buying stainless steel Electric sills. Not quite what you got SteveP - but still sweet.
I ordered the illuminated "Electric" sills from Ford and they seem to be permanently "out-of-stock". So that's why I gave up on them and tried these instead. I think that sills look good, illuminate or not! The "Electric" emblem is very nice -

FiSh

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 am

Great post, thanks!
Do you think it's possible to get power for dash cam from the same spot under the overhead console?
2017 FFE, Oxford White

SteveP

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:51 am

FiSh wrote:Great post, thanks!
Do you think it's possible to get power for dash cam from the same spot under the overhead console?
Yes - there is power there that feeds the map lights.

FiSh

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:20 pm

SteveP wrote:
Yes - there is power there that feeds the map lights.
Is it the same wire that you tap into? Wouldn't it shut off automatically like the door sills? Or I need a different wire from there? Do you know which one?
And another question, how do you tap into a wire?
Thanks
2017 FFE, Oxford White

triangles

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:14 pm

FiSh The 12V power that feeds interior LED "mood lighting" (accessible from overhead console) also feeds the dome lights. It's been a while since I looked at the wiring diagram so I don't remember which wire exactly but if you unplug the wires going to the mood lighting control one of them is a 12V supply. You can find it fairly easily by probing the wires with a meter as only one wire will have voltage. It is the same 12V circuit that feeds the 12V cigarette plugs or for that matter most everything 12v in the car. Mine shuts off about 13 minutes after I leave the car. Some have mentioned that this circuit stays on up to 30 minutes but mine has never varied from 13 minutes. This circuit becomes active and the 13 min timer restarts when you do anything to "wake up" the car, open door, use key fob, remote start, go times. I wired the 5V power supply for my dash cam to this wire and used a screw for the overhead console as a ground. So now I have a little extra video before I start the car and after I walk away from it. The only minor annoyance is that it overwrites oldest video files sooner than I would like as it keeps recording after I turn the car off or whenever I do something to "wake up" the car like opening a door to grab something I forgot to take in. With a 32GB card I usually have 2-3 days before a video file gets overwritten so not too big of a deal.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

FiSh

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:32 am

triangles wrote:
FiSh The 12V power that feeds interior LED "mood lighting" (accessible from overhead console) also feeds the dome lights. It's been a while since I looked at the wiring diagram so I don't remember which wire exactly but if you unplug the wires going to the mood lighting control one of them is a 12V supply. You can find it fairly easily by probing the wires with a meter as only one wire will have voltage. It is the same 12V circuit that feeds the 12V cigarette plugs or for that matter most everything 12v in the car. Mine shuts off about 13 minutes after I leave the car. Some have mentioned that this circuit stays on up to 30 minutes but mine has never varied from 13 minutes. This circuit becomes active and the 13 min timer restarts when you do anything to "wake up" the car, open door, use key fob, remote start, go times. I wired the 5V power supply for my dash cam to this wire and used a screw for the overhead console as a ground. So now I have a little extra video before I start the car and after I walk away from it. The only minor annoyance is that it overwrites oldest video files sooner than I would like as it keeps recording after I turn the car off or whenever I do something to "wake up" the car like opening a door to grab something I forgot to take in. With a 32GB card I usually have 2-3 days before a video file gets overwritten so not too big of a deal.
Thanks, probed wire and N1 from StevenP diagram is the 12V that does not shut off when you close the door (like N4 that he used to wire door sills)
N2 and N3 are also powered with 3.6V and 4.5V and I think N2 shuts off right after you close the door.
I could not find any screws there for the ground. Can you hint where to look at?
Is there a way to tap into a wire without splicing it? Can I tap into a connector directly somehow?
2017 FFE, Oxford White

triangles

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 pm

2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Return to “News and Main Ford Focus Electric Forum”