Will AAA tow me home?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Has anyone ever had to be towed home by AAA because they ran out of Juice? Will they even do it? Im talking about a fairly local tow or even a tow to a charging station. Also, does fords roadside assistance cover this?

Had my FFE 3 years: Never had to be towed. Also friends with other FFE owners who also never had to be towed (well ok one did but that was because he was rear-ended and the car wasn't drive able ;) ).

AAA info:

"When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven due to a breakdown, accident, or other covered vehicle disablement, the independent service provider can tow the vehicle back to its facility, no matter how far away, at no charge to the member."

michael said:
I never ran out in my Focus, but friends ran out twice in a Rav-4 EV. No problem to get a tow home

Was that through AAA? I dont plan on running out but its nice to know.

Smoking_Rubber said:
AAA info:

"When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven due to a breakdown, accident, or other covered vehicle disablement, the independent service provider can tow the vehicle back to its facility, no matter how far away, at no charge to the member."

I guess their facility would have a plug. But that would take hours for a few miles of charge at 120v. Ive heard of people getting cars towed to their home by AAA. I guess it depends on the service provider.

My wife has AAA. On her old Mazda Tribute she had it towed several times a year. She got it towed to her home usually but a few times it went straight to the mechanic shop. She had chronic battery issues even after replacing almost everything electric in the stupid thing. They even came out and jump started my FJ once when my battery died.

Essentially, they'll tow your car anywhere you want them to within a certain number of miles, depending on your coverage.

Carbuff - I've never run out of juice and had to be towed. However in four years of ownership, I've had an FFE towed three or four times to the dealer, and once after buying a used one. AAA has never had a problem. In fact the drivers usually love the challenge and are fun to talk with.

If you are not a AAA member, there are three levels of membership. Classic is 4 tows per year up to 5 miles each. Plus is up to 4 100 mile tows per year. And Premier (used to be RV) is one 200 mile tow and up to three 100 mile tows.

They always provide jump starting for free. That is a really useful thing if you can't get the car in neutral and don't want to read the manual on how to manually get it in neutral. And sometimes the jump start will get your car running, and they will typically follow you to the dealer if it isn't too far away.

The AAA card is for the person holding the card, not tied to a car. So you can help anybody as long as you have the card - they don't care which car you have towed.

When you call you have to ALWAYS request a flat bed. If you don't ask for a flat bed, they will send any tow truck. The owner's manual specifically says, no towing with wheels on the ground. (there have been tons of debates about that issue here - that's what the manual says, and that's what I stick with when towing).

They will tow the car anywhere you tell them to tow it. There is no rule about towing to a AAA location, or a garage, or a where ever. You give them the address, if it is within the range you purchased, they tow it for free. If you go beyond the range you have purchased, the driver charges you by the mile. It can get very expensive, very fast.

Some drivers allow you to ride along, some have some weird rule about no ride along. I now know to ask up front, can I ride along - if I need to ride with the car.

I've had AAA for a very long time. Had many cars towed by them. It is well worth the insurance.

Ford road side assistance uses the exact same tow trucks as AAA. Ford has stricter rules about where they will tow the car. I think it will only tow to the nearest dealer. There is no mileage limit. And I'm not sure they will try to jump start your car. The contracts are different, they just use the same pool of tow trucks.

You'll rarely see a AAA tow truck (there are pickup trucks that will deliver batteries - AAA batteries, how those small cylinders are useful in a car is beyond me). They contract independent tow companies to do the work.

Thanks for the useful info. And yes Im a AAA member. Ive never personally used the service but my daughter did when she was up at school in upstate NY.

Back