jmueller065

Re: Will AAA tow me home?

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:22 am

Had my FFE 3 years: Never had to be towed. Also friends with other FFE owners who also never had to be towed (well ok one did but that was because he was rear-ended and the car wasn't drive able ;) ).
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Smoking_Rubber

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 am

AAA info:

"When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven due to a breakdown, accident, or other covered vehicle disablement, the independent service provider can tow the vehicle back to its facility, no matter how far away, at no charge to the member."
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premium (My DD)
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Weekend Beach Buggy)
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Wife's DD)

michael

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:31 pm

I never ran out in my Focus, but friends ran out twice in a Rav-4 EV. No problem to get a tow home
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

Smoking_Rubber

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:42 am

My wife has AAA. On her old Mazda Tribute she had it towed several times a year. She got it towed to her home usually but a few times it went straight to the mechanic shop. She had chronic battery issues even after replacing almost everything electric in the stupid thing. They even came out and jump started my FJ once when my battery died.

Essentially, they'll tow your car anywhere you want them to within a certain number of miles, depending on your coverage.
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premium (My DD)
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Weekend Beach Buggy)
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Wife's DD)

EVA

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Carbuff - I've never run out of juice and had to be towed. However in four years of ownership, I've had an FFE towed three or four times to the dealer, and once after buying a used one. AAA has never had a problem. In fact the drivers usually love the challenge and are fun to talk with.

If you are not a AAA member, there are three levels of membership. Classic is 4 tows per year up to 5 miles each. Plus is up to 4 100 mile tows per year. And Premier (used to be RV) is one 200 mile tow and up to three 100 mile tows.

They always provide jump starting for free. That is a really useful thing if you can't get the car in neutral and don't want to read the manual on how to manually get it in neutral. And sometimes the jump start will get your car running, and they will typically follow you to the dealer if it isn't too far away.

The AAA card is for the person holding the card, not tied to a car. So you can help anybody as long as you have the card - they don't care which car you have towed.

When you call you have to ALWAYS request a flat bed. If you don't ask for a flat bed, they will send any tow truck. The owner's manual specifically says, no towing with wheels on the ground. (there have been tons of debates about that issue here - that's what the manual says, and that's what I stick with when towing).

They will tow the car anywhere you tell them to tow it. There is no rule about towing to a AAA location, or a garage, or a where ever. You give them the address, if it is within the range you purchased, they tow it for free. If you go beyond the range you have purchased, the driver charges you by the mile. It can get very expensive, very fast.

Some drivers allow you to ride along, some have some weird rule about no ride along. I now know to ask up front, can I ride along - if I need to ride with the car.

I've had AAA for a very long time. Had many cars towed by them. It is well worth the insurance.

Ford road side assistance uses the exact same tow trucks as AAA. Ford has stricter rules about where they will tow the car. I think it will only tow to the nearest dealer. There is no mileage limit. And I'm not sure they will try to jump start your car. The contracts are different, they just use the same pool of tow trucks.

You'll rarely see a AAA tow truck (there are pickup trucks that will deliver batteries - AAA batteries, how those small cylinders are useful in a car is beyond me). They contract independent tow companies to do the work.
2014 Platinum White FFE (Turning in mid Dec. 2016 25,000 miles)
2013 Ingot Silver FFE
2012 Titanium ICE Focus
2014 Tesla Model S 85

Return to “News and Main Ford Focus Electric Forum”