Full EVs not so green after all??

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordfocuselectric

Before reading this, know that I'm not trying to start an argument about how green the Ford Focus Electric really is, I'm just posting an opinion by someone else that I thought you might find interesting:

True, cars like the Nissan Leaf, the Ford Focus EV, the BYD Electric from China, and the Tesla S to be made in America make little to no noise running.

Fact is, America mostly burns coal to generate electricity. We even run nuclear plants to generate electricity. These two sources are responsible for nearly 70% of the electricity produced in the United States. The rest comes from hydro-power like the TVA and Niagara, and the rest from natural gas.

That means, full EVs like the Nissan Leaf, the Ford Focus EV and the Tesla mostly burn coal every time they’re plugged into the power grid.

Here's his full story:
http://www.torquenews.com/119/full-evs-2011-detroit-auto-show-not-so-green-after-all

fordfocusnews said:
Before reading this, know that I'm not trying to start an argument about how green the Ford Focus Electric really is, I'm just posting an opinion by someone else that I thought you might find interesting:

True, cars like the Nissan Leaf, the Ford Focus EV, the BYD Electric from China, and the Tesla S to be made in America make little to no noise running.

Fact is, America mostly burns coal to generate electricity. We even run nuclear plants to generate electricity. These two sources are responsible for nearly 70% of the electricity produced in the United States. The rest comes from hydro-power like the TVA and Niagara, and the rest from natural gas.

That means, full EVs like the Nissan Leaf, the Ford Focus EV and the Tesla mostly burn coal every time they’re plugged into the power grid.

Here's his full story:
http://www.torquenews.com/119/full-evs-2011-detroit-auto-show-not-so-green-after-all

Yeah.

Well

About 43% of the US electricity is coal generated. So, even at that rate, the author is exaggerating. In addition, it is far easier to change the power source centrally, than it is to do it at each tailpipe.

I think these types of articles are propaganda and nonsense....yes, all energy has by products and no, the EV is nowhere near the top as a source of byproducts.

it is easier to change the power source centrally, than it is to do it at each tailpipe.

Nicely worded. That pretty much sums it all up... although at first we have to change it at each tailpipe (by going electric) and then in the future it will make for easier changes at the central power sources.

This dead horse I guess needs to be beat on just a bit more I guess.

The following is an extensive collection of studies that shows that BEV's powered by the US grid result in significantly less pollution than ICE cars.

http://images.pluginamerica.org/EmissionsSummary.pdf

The other item that I think gets overlooked is the electricity required to refine gasoline in the first place. I have seen at least one discussion that to refine one gallon of gasoline it takes 11-12kwH of electricity...or enough to propel a BEV about 50 miles. If that was the case the country go switch over to 100% EV's without any increase in demand for electricity. In reality I think this estimate is high but it certainly is not negligible.

Thanks for beating the dead horse hobbit - or more specifically for linking the PDF and providing sources for your info.

A lot of what floats around in the EV world is heresay, but more of it is backed up by real data which makes it harder to argue.

hobbit said:
This dead horse I guess needs to be beat on just a bit more I guess.

The following is an extensive collection of studies that shows that BEV's powered by the US grid result in significantly less pollution than ICE cars.

http://images.pluginamerica.org/EmissionsSummary.pdf

The other item that I think gets overlooked is the electricity required to refine gasoline in the first place. I have seen at least one discussion that to refine one gallon of gasoline it takes 11-12kwH of electricity...or enough to propel a BEV about 50 miles. If that was the case the country go switch over to 100% EV's without any increase in demand for electricity. In reality I think this estimate is high but it certainly is not negligible.

Excellent! Thank you and I will be sure to use this!

I think there is 2 problems here:
1. The lack of knowledge that the general public has about Electric Vehicles
2. The lack of caring that much (maybe just some) of the public has about being green etc.

If the Ford Focus Electric is going to sell big, it's going to take educating the public on the advantages of an electric vehicle. I think we're at a time where it will be easy - since it can be more cost efficient (in addition to all the environmentally friendliness of it).

Check out this comment I came across on a Ford Focus Electric new article:
This needs to stop. Carbon Dioxide is NOT a pollutant, but a natural part of the planet's atmosphere. In fact, plant life depends on it to make the sweet Oxygen we all depend on. So Ford is basically saying that they want to starve the plants.

So either it was just someone making a joke, or there really are people out there that are that stupid - which I'm sure they are!

dreamer said:
I think there is 2 problems here:
1. The lack of knowledge that the general public has about Electric Vehicles
2. The lack of caring that much (maybe just some) of the public has about being green etc.

If the Ford Focus Electric is going to sell big, it's going to take educating the public on the advantages of an electric vehicle. I think we're at a time where it will be easy - since it can be more cost efficient (in addition to all the environmentally friendliness of it).

Check out this comment I came across on a Ford Focus Electric new article:
This needs to stop. Carbon Dioxide is NOT a pollutant, but a natural part of the planet's atmosphere. In fact, plant life depends on it to make the sweet Oxygen we all depend on. So Ford is basically saying that they want to starve the plants.

So either it was just someone making a joke, or there really are people out there that are that stupid - which I'm sure they are!

There are many who are just that ignorant, or have an interest in remaining so. Sad, but true. I encounter them all the time and no fact will persuade them otherwise.

So, I just do what I can do, independent of their, often willful, ignorance.

Well that is one thing I enjoy about the online world - this Focus Electric forum won't have any non-supporters or more specifically anti-electric car crazies on it. And even if there was, the mods can block them/deal with them and not get sued!

We will probably have spammers, but those I can handle.

Back