2017 FFE compared to 2013 FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas FFE

I have had a 2013 FFE for over two years and I just picked up a 2017 FFE. I quite enjoyed my 2013 FFE over the two years that I had it but I was often frustrated by the range limitations. Here are my impressions of the 2017 model compared to the 2013 model;

Range; I remember one situation where I was particularly frustrated by the range and fast charging on the 2013 model, I had traveled across the Metroplex and had to wait for over two hours to L2 charge siting right beside a CCS charger. One of the first things I did with the 2017 model was to drive over to that CCS charger to test the fast charging system. I charged in less than half an hour and still had 62 miles of range when I got home, HUGE difference.

Seats; I was pleasantly surprised by the differences between the 2013 and 2017 seats. The 2013 has 2-way adjustment head rests that always annoyed me, the 4-way adjustment head rests of the 2017 model are a good improvement. The lumbar lever of the 2013 was always kind of hard to reach, the 2017 has a power lumbar control and the black plastic molding at the bottom of the seats adds aesthetic appeal to the seats.

Sync 3; The graphics are better on the Sync 3 of the 2017 compared to the My Ford Touch Sync of the 2013. Sync 3 seems to have better interaction with phones but I haven't messed with that much. One thing the I liked about 2013 model that's not on the 2017 is composite inputs; even though I never used it, I liked the idea of being able to see video on the gps screen.

Torque Steer; Torque steer on the 2017 doesn't seem near as prevalent as on the 2013. The 2017 has Torque Vectoring Control that the 2013 model doesn't. I can't say for certain but I feel that the Torque Vectoring Control in some way has reduce torque steer in the 2017 model.

In many ways the 2013 and 2017 are almost identical. I did enjoy the 2013 model and in some ways I'm sorry I have to give it up. I hope whoever gets the 2013 model enjoys it as much as I did.

Nice write up. I'm starting to see some '17 pre-owned show up. I have to tell you I've been seriously considering switching. I'm 8 months into my '13 and have put 10,000 amazing miles on the car however i'm at 26k with 15kWh available and it's starting to hurt.

What about handling and ride differences or quality between the two cars? Any difference in turns, power, speed, acceleration, suspension, cabin noise, etc?

Back