Fields is out

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

Interesting news this morning: Mark Fields is out at Ford:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/columnists/daniel-howes/2017/05/22/ford-names-hackett-ceo/102001432/

Some of my own thoughts on it:
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/fields-out-hackett-in/

I have wondered if the salaried people being "trimmed" announced last week was a traditional approach to low stock prices that the board thought "Hmm I don't think he gets it, we don't want people gone, we want to see product!".

I liked him and agreed with the direction he had been selling to the rest of us at the company recently. My only complaints are that I'd prefer for us to rank higher in quality and have fewer stale products though.

The promise of the 13 "electrified" vehicles as well as some of the other announced vehicles in the pipeline are nice, though seem like they're so far away for some reason. It'd be nice to have them here sooner, but with the current fuel prices, maybe the urgency isn't really necessary.

After seeing the results from Mullaly, another outsider brought in, I'm willing to give Hackett a chance. It's certainly in my, and thousands of others', best interests for him to succeed. It's just too bad Fields "retired" in such a way.

cutler03gt said:
I liked him and agreed with the direction he had been selling to the rest of us at the company recently. My only complaints are that I'd prefer for us to rank higher in quality and have fewer stale products though.

The promise of the 13 "electrified" vehicles as well as some of the other announced vehicles in the pipeline are nice, though seem like they're so far away for some reason. It'd be nice to have them here sooner, but with the current fuel prices, maybe the urgency isn't really necessary.

After seeing the results from Mullaly, another outsider brought in, I'm willing to give Hackett a chance. It's certainly in my, and thousands of others', best interests for him to succeed. It's just too bad Fields "retired" in such a way.
I liked him as well. I did think, however, that they got away from some of the "greener" things that Bill was promoting. In addition, some of his statements seemed kind of odd (like the "We could make an EV right now"!? Why didn't they?).

The "promise" of the 13 vehicles I think is one of the reason's he was forced out: To date its just a promise with nothing to show for it yet.

Although to be retired at 56 with all that $$...tough life!

jmueller065 said:
I liked him as well. I did think, however, that they got away from some of the "greener" things that Bill was promoting. In addition, some of his statements seemed kind of odd (like the "We could make an EV right now"!? Why didn't they?).

The "promise" of the 13 vehicles I think is one of the reason's he was forced out: To date its just a promise with nothing to show for it yet.

I think fuel prices tanking are what happened. That, and the consequential shift back toward SUVs and trucks by the market. As much as I like the C-MAX, I think those powertrains in the Escape would have done much better.

I've got confidence that the upcoming "small utility vehicle" (depending on the press release, it's either a small SUV or a CUV :roll: ) will do well, if priced appropriately. Especially at 300+ mile range. And also, maybe by the time the other 12 models are rolled out, with the price of Li-Ion batteries sharply down from just a few years ago, the Hybrid "tax" will be low enough to encourage more sales.

I don't yet know what Hackett's views are on green or electrified vehicles though, nor do I on Jim Farley's. I am really excited for Jim Farley's new role though. He's an incredible asset to Ford. He's now going to be over the "strategy and business model development for electrified vehicles and autonomous vehicles", among other things.

http://jalopnik.com/the-real-future-of-ford-isnt-its-new-ceo-1795429054

cutler03gt said:
I've got confidence that the upcoming "small utility vehicle" (depending on the press release, it's either a small SUV or a CUV :roll: ) will do well, if priced appropriately. Especially at 300+ mile range. And also, maybe by the time the other 12 models are rolled out, with the price of Li-Ion batteries sharply down from just a few years ago, the Hybrid "tax" will be low enough to encourage more sales.

I don't yet know what Hackett's views are on green or electrified vehicles though, nor do I on Jim Farley's. I am really excited for Jim Farley's new role though. He's an incredible asset to Ford. He's now going to be over the "strategy and business model development for electrified vehicles and autonomous vehicles", among other things.
Yeah from everything I've seen Jim Farley is one of the good one's.

Given all the talk about the 300 mile S/CUV I think its going to be a variant of the 2018 EcoSport (plop a 60kWh+ battery in that and you have a good competitor for the Bolt).

Yeah I agree: put the hybrid powertrain into the Escape and they would have sold a ton (even though the C-Max and Escape are pretty much twins the Escape badging alone would have sold a bunch--and the much more handsome Escape front end to the ugly C-Max).

Farley is a marketing guy. Hopefully he does a better job of actually marketing the new electrified offerings than whoever failed to market the Fusion and C-Max Energi and Focus Electric.

jmueller065 said:
Given all the talk about the 300 mile S/CUV I think its going to be a variant of the 2018 EcoSport (plop a 60kWh+ battery in that and you have a good competitor for the Bolt).

Yeah I agree: put the hybrid powertrain into the Escape and they would have sold a ton (even though the C-Max and Escape are pretty much twins the Escape badging alone would have sold a bunch--and the much more handsome Escape front end to the ugly C-Max).

I'd like an EV EcoSport to exist, but I'd rather a C-sized S/CUV to come first. That's a hotter segment, and would also have more packaging room for the battery. So something along the lines of the C-MAX/Escape with ~70kWh is what I've got my fingers crossed for first.

cutler03gt said:
I'd like an EV EcoSport to exist, but I'd rather a C-sized S/CUV to come first. That's a hotter segment, and would also have more packaging room for the battery. So something along the lines of the C-MAX/Escape with ~70kWh is what I've got my fingers crossed for first.
Oh I'm just saying what I think they will do based on difficulty--not what I'd like to see. An EV Escape would hit many a sweet spot and sell like hotcakes--especially with 300+ miles and still the cargo room of an Escape.

I think the smaller SUVs are selling like crazy now: Just look at Buick & Chevy--I see those tiny things everywhere.

jmueller065 said:
I think the smaller SUVs are selling like crazy now: Just look at Buick & Chevy--I see those tiny things everywhere.

Indeed they are. Nothing like the C segment, but still. I really wish we had brought the EcoSport over to North America 2 years ago. I've sat in one, and I'd certainly drive one, but it's basically like sitting in a Fiesta with more head room. The new bigger SYNC screen is nice though. If it had the interior material of the Focus/C-MAX/Escape, it be more appealing. Maybe they'll freshen that up as well when they do the other cosmetic updates for next year's launch.

jmueller065 said:
Who are the people buying these fuglymobiles? How did SUVs go from off road truck based vehicles to tall compact hatchbacks? I am just blown away that the auto industry has fooled the masses into buying something they couldn't have sold if they tried 10 years ago simply by calling their new ugly hatchbacks SUVs. Ok end of rant. I don't have anything against SUVs or hatch backs. I would hope not since I own an FFE and a 4runner. Its just that for some reason it really bothers me when they call these ugly vertically stretched compact hatchbacks an SUV. They are NOT a SUV!!! It's a friggin hatchback! Besides the 4runner and Wrangler there really isn't much made today that I'd consider a SUV. Here's hoping Ford doesn't screw up and bring back the Bronco as a car. I'm looking forward to the possibility of replacing the 4runner with a Bronco. Ok now I'm really done ranting. :) There I feel much better not that I've let that out.

P.S. First one to call the EcoSport a SUV gets bitch-slapped! It's a frigging vertically stretched Fiesta. Vertically stretching a car does not make it a SUV. 3rd end of rant?

triangles said:
P.S. First one to call the EcoSport a SUV gets bitch-slapped! It's a frigging vertically stretched Fiesta. Vertically stretching a car does not make it a SUV. 3rd end of rant?
Isn't the EcoSport a CUV? :ducking:

Hey even Thor calls our camper an "RUV"! Axis RUV.

jmueller065 said:
Isn't the EcoSport a CUV? :ducking:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's a good thing you didn't say SUV! :lol: :lol: :lol: I suppose CUV would work but it's still just another funny looking hatchback as far as I'm concerned. I'm really a laid back person. I'm a little puzzled myself why calling a hatchback a SUV bothers me as much as it does or why I was so cranky this morning. I guess it's the whole misapplication of the term SUV that get's my inner grammar Nazi all fired up.

RUV as in Recreational Utility Vehicle? I suppose that works. Watch Ford start calling the Excursion an RUV just to spite me...

Back