finding an FFE to test drive?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregfi

I'm interested in leasing a 2017 FFE, but I would like to drive one (or even an earlier model year FFE) before I take the plunge. Unfortunately, I live in a part of the USA without widespread EV adoption: Pittsburgh, PA.

I called and inquired with a local dealer, and the response I received was...less than encouraging. After listening to some snide remarks about politicians on the West coast, I hung up the phone with the impression that they would be happy to order one for me, but they weren't going to try real hard to arrange a test drive. The nearest one I can find on Autotrader is 100 miles away, which is a considerable inconvenience with my current situation (young kids at home).

Does anyone have experience with this predicament? Did you buy/lease sight-unseen? Were you able to find one used and/or at a dealer? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,
Greg

Greg, have you ever driven a regular Focus (2012+) ? If you have, it is very similar to that, driving-wise. It is quieter and a little as smoother in acceleration. It has more torque than a regular Focus, and it is instant, so it feels peppy off the line. If you like the dynamics of a regular Focus, then your test drive of the electric will be slightly better than that even.

I live in Wexford area if you want to play with my '16 FFE send me a message. I am extremely pleased with mine with over 17,000 miles in 13 months...today alone I did 2 full charges on it and over 120 miles. Near me we are well served with tons of public and private L2 plugshare.
and you must have dealt with the same dealer as I did in terms of remarks about West Coast politics forcing the FFE unto us.

I also have a '17 on confirmed order for a while and could tell you how to proceed on that front...the pricing on it was $3000 cheaper than the '16FFE a year ago.

I also have a Tesla X on order for over a year and I am not as excited about it as the FFE or the Bolt (high price) ...however since I live 2 miles from the Tesla supercharger and 3 miles from the brand new service center it might be my next day to day vehicle. There are over 100 Tesla owners around me whilst I can only count 2 FFES!

Would not mind taking a look at the Bolt either in a few months.

Exciting times (besides Ford BEvs) even in our neck of the woods!

I second the recommendation to go drive a Focus Titanium. In my assessment, the only appreciable difference between them is that the ICE Focus is louder (engine noise) and has a different cluster package (due to the specialized electric screens).

Otherwise, if you like the Titanium, you'll love the FFE as long as range isn't a concern.

Kind of hate to suggest this - because you won't buy a used one. Search for used FFE's in your area (use all the car searching tricks to find them). They exist in your area. If a dealer has one, go test drive that car. And walk away to buy a new one (or if the range of the pre 2017 works for you, buy a used one). If it is for sale on a used car lot - you'll have to be a little bit of a weasel to get the test drive.

A sale by an individual - you might run into somebody that is passionate about the car and would be willing to let you drive it. Even if you'd never buy from them. But remember, you're asking for a favor with nothing for them in return.

Don't buy it sight unseen. Test drive an FFE. Yes it is similar but different enough from the ICE Focus.

Hey Fbitz777 - you have a Model 3 on preorder. If you ordered a Model X a year ago, you would have taken delivery a long time ago.

EVA said:
Hey Fbitz777 - you have a Model 3 on preorder. If you ordered a Model X a year ago, you would have taken delivery a long time ago.
No its a model X...the 5 seater was delayed till December and then I told Tesla I wanted to delay till Spring...I did not feel like have a service center in Cleveland (2 hours away) while they are just just completing one 3 miles from me. Telsa allows orders to be pushed up to 6 months.

Actually I had put a deposit ("reservation") over two years ago.

I would not buy a Model 3, by the time you'd get it the Fed Credits will have expired for Tesla and you can get a Bolt now.

gregfi said:
I'm interested in leasing a 2017 FFE, but I would like to drive one (or even an earlier model year FFE) before I take the plunge. Unfortunately, I live in a part of the USA without widespread EV adoption: Pittsburgh, PA. ......Greg

Another cool idea (similar to what I did): First, go out to any Nissan dealership and drive the ugly Leaf. Then, drive a Focus Titanium automatic. ... After that, read the Car and Driver comparison test, where they really emphasize driving dynamics/pleasure aspects, at:
http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/focus-electric (scroll down to Instrumented Test on a 2016 model)
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-ford-focus-electric-instrumented-test-review
and the actual comparo is at:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-chevy-spark-ev-vs-fiat-500e-ford-focus-electric-honda-fit-ev-nissan-leaf-smart-fortwo-ed-comparison-test

I concur with Car and Driver's findings. They found the Focus Electric BETTER to drive (steering, braking, handling, ride comfort) than a Leaf, so you test driving a Leaf is revealing the "floor", the minimum, of performance.

Note the Focus Electric is missing some trunk space. The Leaf is better on that. I don't mind, but others might care.

I owned a 2012 Focus SEL, with leather seats in Frosted Glass. Loved that car. But I decided I wanted the FFE. After a couple of years, I found one used, 2012 in Frosted glass, in Wisconsin. (I live in Ohio) Called, made the arrangements, Had it delivered and my SEL picked up as trade. two years later I have had zero regrets. The FFE is every bit as good to drive as the SEL was, but better, smoother, quieter, more responsive and the regen feature is addictive to the point it is disturbing when I drive an Ice that the regen doesn't kick in when I let off the brakes! The only thing I lost in translation was the leather seats. (I'd love to get some but it was worth the loss of them for the electric). As others have said, test drive a Focus Titanium (not the se, it has a different suspension package) If you like the way it handles you will like the FFE as much or more. One of the biggest things I noticed with the electric, was the sound. I have a hearing impairment that makes hearing the radio hard, it is often just too garbled and drowned out by even quiet ice vehicles. I usually have to play it a bit loud to catch enough of the music to enjoy it. With the FFE, I don't have nearly that problem and keep the radio noticeably lower in volume while enjoying the music more fully. That alone is a big factor in my pleasure driving it.

Good luck in your search!

Roger

Back