Normal Range

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milam

I am a new owner of a 2016 FFE.

When I first got the car, it was showing 35 mile range.
It was also cold.

Now that the temperature is moderate, the range has gone up to 71 miles.

This is great.

Will it get better in Summer?

Keep in mind that the miles to empty display is just calculated based on your last battery usage: It isn't called the guess-o-meter for nothing.
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/the-guess-o-meter/

If you were to drive for an hour at a constant 25 mph you'd suddenly find yourself with 200 miles of range available.

Having said all that: yes in the summer it will report more miles as you'll use heat less (A/C really doesn't consume much at all).

All depends on how you've been driving and what assessories you have turned on (especially heat). Generally, yes mpe is better in the summer.

jmueller065 said:
it will report more miles as you'll use heat less (A/C really doesn't consume much at all).
It will also report more range since a warmer battery has a larger capacity than a colder one. This is another reason why range drops in winter (in addition to increased energy expended heating humans and the battery).

jmueller065 said:
If you were to drive for an hour at a constant 25 mph you'd suddenly find yourself with 200 miles of range available.

Did you actually see that behavior with the 2013 model? My experience so far with a 2014 model suggests that the GOM displays a certain asymmetry. It seems very responsive to increases in energy expenditure. E.g. if I start out with 95 mi (warm weather) and then drive somewhere at 80 mph, the range drops very quickly (minutes) to 50-something (and falling). OTOH, if I then start doing some low speed urban driving, the range recovers more slowly - e.g. range might at first increase a few miles fairly quickly then level off, recovering ~1 mile per mile driven (or a bit more if I'm really taking it easy). Topping up the battery might then get it to 80-85. Range recovery seems to slow down after the initial ~1mile/mile. It usually takes a few days of efficient driving for the GOM to completely recover from a lead foot episode. However, I rarely drive more than 20 miles/day. I figure it's been taking ~40 miles of low power driving to counter the effect of 10-15 miles of high power driving, but only a few miles of high power driving will cut the range estimate dramatically if it started out high.

amped said:
Did you actually see that behavior with the 2013 model? My experience so far with a 2014 Model Suggests that the GOM displays a certain asymmetry. It seems very responsive to increases in energy expenditure. E.g. if I start out with 95 mi (warm weather) and then drive somewhere at 80 mph, the range drops very quickly (minutes) to 50-something (and falling). OTOH, if I then start doing some low speed urban driving, the range recovers more slowly - e.g. range might at first increase a few miles fairly quickly then level off, recovering ~1 mile per mile driven (or a bit more if I'm really taking it easy). Topping up the battery might then get it to 80-85. Range recovery seems to slow down after the initial ~1mile/mile. It usually takes a few days of efficient driving for the GOM to completely recover from a lead foot episode. However, I rarely drive more than 20 miles/day. I figure it's been taking ~40 miles of low power driving to counter the effect of 10-15 miles of high power driving, but only a few miles of high power driving will cut the range estimate dramatically if it started out high.
Yes, many times with my car.

In addition, a coworker took his 2013 FFE on the Woodward Dream Cruise (basically a "car parade"). He was driving about 5 mph for quite some time. By the end of the parade his car was showing 300+ miles of range available.

Interesting. I wonder if it's a model year difference or reprogramming during a recall...or maybe there was something peculiar about my driving habits on the occasions I noticed this behavior?

Good fun can by had in a trip up a mountain: Rising anxiety as you climb and the guess-o-meter plummets. Coasting back down pull it into L and watch your guess-o-meter set a new high score.

Back