2016 FFE Review on CleanTechnica

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamez

Shameless cross-post...

CleanTechnica picked up my 2016 FFE review:
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/01/ford-focus-electric-review-extreme-depth/

Take a look, let me know what you'd like to know about the 2017 - I'll do what I can to get that info for you.

I think that's a great review. The comments show some folks are going to always find a reason not to like something, or even give it a shot.

They can continue paying for gas, or driving a Leaf. Or getting a crappy deal on the Bolt when its released (which the initial lease deals are junk compared to what Ford or Nissan will do).

I'll continue using no gas, riding around in comfort and quiet in my stealth FFE and hauling the kids and the groceries as close to free as it gets.

If I read you correctly, you stated that the nav/GOM integration was based on "as the crow flies" distances. In my 2013, it was based on the actual route. Did this change?

I rented the gas 2016 Ford Focus about a month ago. I have the 2014 FFE and the 2016 had much better handling around curves and better braking. The suspension was also softer but also keeping the handling capability. It was a blast to drive. The only thing lI missed was the acceleration that the electric has. When I was already moving and stepped on the accelerator, the engine would rev up and make a lot of noise and the car would still not move 2-3 seconds later. That was weird that it would make so much noise and not move.

michael said:
If I read you correctly, you stated that the nav/GOM integration was based on "as the crow flies" distances. In my 2013, it was based on the actual route. Did this change?

No, I wrote that back in September.
I still haven't figured out how it calculates the range - but it's not Road or as the crow flies.

If you set a point further than your charge point, it calculates to the charge point - not the "loop" distance.

Jamez said:
I still haven't figured out how it calculates the range - but it's not Road or as the crow flies.
If you enter a route in the navi, the route distance (and what the "Surplus" if computed against) is indeed based on the actual route.

However, when you are not using the navi, and the car warns you about "Approaching Range Limit", the "distance from home" is computed as the crow flies.

In other words, as soon as that "straight line" distance drops below the estimated range, you get the warning. Of course, if you route home won't (or can't) be a straight line, the warning my come too late.

One trick I use, when not driving anywhere in particular, is to set my navi for home (and select that I will charge when I get there). Then, I can drive around just making sure the surplus never gets too close to zero. When it does, it means I may not be able to make the actual route back home from wherever I am. This is more accurate than the "Approaching Range Limit" warning.

WattsUp said:
If you enter a route in the navi, the route distance (and what the "Surplus" if computed against) is indeed based on the actual route.

Perhaps I'm saying it wrong

In your nav, Set an ending point "B" (with charging) that's perhaps 1/2 way to another point "A" to travel to that's further than the end charge point "B" ( you'll "swing back" after arriving at "A")

When you are travelling - the computer will tell you the distance to B (charge point) even though you're really going further to A then back to B

As you are passing B (enroute to A) the distance will count down to zero, then back up again as you pass B and head to A

When looking at "distance to charge point" It does not take the full driving route into account

Just read your review. I am so excited to be picking up a used 2012 tomorrow. The 2012-2016 are nearly identical so I have no qualms about buying a used one. Especially since the car I'm buying came from the moderate climate of California.

Back