electrons

new Tesla Model 3 looks like Focus Electric!

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Looks like a Focus! They 'officially' unveil it tonight, but some spy took that photo.

So here's what we do: Remove the Ford badging and place Tesla badges on our Focus Electrics, BEFORE the Model 3 comes out (like 2+ years to wait). People will think its a Model 3!

I may see a real one around here. Almost all manufacturers do high-altitude testing here in the Rockies, and I've seen a lot of vehicles a year or so before they are sold running around Mt. Evans, etc. here.

electrons

Re: new Tesla Model 3 looks like Focus Electric!

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:38 am

I think the size will be the same, looks that way:

jmueller065

Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:08 am

I think its bigger as Elon said: "Seats 5 comfortably" (in an apparent dig on the Chevy Bolt).
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

WattsUp

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:36 am

electrons wrote:Almost all manufacturers do high-altitude testing here in the Rockies
Maybe not likely?

Gas-powered cars are tested at high-altitude because the level of oxygen and air density affects combustion. But, why would an electric car be affected by altitude?

Maybe they would test EVs on inclines, in colder weather, handling on mountain roads, etc. but the high-altitude would not actually be important for any of that testing in the same way it is for ICE testing.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

electrons

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:20 am

WattsUp, another engineer friend of mine once did thermal cooling analysis on Prius power electronics. You'd be surprised as to what he had to say about the lowered cooling performance of heat exchangers going up mountains at continuous max power at reduced air density (less mass flow). I2R heating. Hot day, high elevation (thin air) testing is important too. True, no air-fuel and emissions calibrations though. Also, quick elevation changes on seals is kind of a thing.

I've seen Hyundai, Honda, Chevy, Fiat, Ford, Toyota not-for-sale-yet cars up in the mountains over the last few years. You could test all the heat exchange performance you want on a dyno, with a wind tunnel, with low baro pressure in a chamber, to do the same thing. Most car makers have found its easier just to run them up a mountain a few times.

Back to the thread's actual subject: Elon Musk is 6'2'' (74") tall, and here he is walking in front of Model 3 prototype for scale (perspective is tricky though):
Looks like the car is wide. Our Focus Electric is 72" wide, and this one looks similar.

WattsUp

Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:36 pm

electrons wrote:Back to the thread's actual subject: Elon Musk is 6'2'' (74") tall, and here he is walking in front of Model 3 prototype for scale.
I love it... the Musk unit of measurement.

"Have you seen to the new Telsa?"

"Yeah, it's 2.5 Musks long and can go 150,000 Musks between charges!"
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

electrons

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:25 am

Turn Musk sideways in the picture above (using paper or your finger/thumb), and fit it between the front wheel fenders. I think its very close to the Focus's 72", even trying to account for some perspective.

Time will tell, but this thing isn't a big car. By this time the width should be set in stone, basic structure already designed mostly.

jmueller065

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:03 am

electrons wrote:By this time the width should be set in stone, basic structure already designed mostly.
Didn't say it was a "big" car, simply said it was "bigger than the FFE".

Take a look at some of the first ride videos taken from the back seat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nUapJ-GW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM0-tKOsbNw

There are quite a few on youtube. In many of them you can see three full sized adults sitting in the back seat. Not sure I could ever get 3 adults in the back seat of my FFE (nor my ICE Focus). I can, however, fit 3 adults in my wife's Escape and my C-Max--both of which are the same platform as the Focus but slightly larger dimensions).

Edit: Well perhaps it isn't much bigger than a Focus. Here is an Engadget article about the ride which includes this quote:
On stage, CEO Elon Musk said the car would fit five passengers. Like most sedans, it's more like four adults and child or very short, petite friend. I saw them cram five journalists in a car, it wasn't something you'd want to recreate on a long drive. Still, since there's no engine under the hood or in the trunk, the automaker was able to move the seats out. At six-foot three inches, I was comfortable in the back seat, which is something I don't get to say very often in a mid-size sedan.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

GladeStorm

Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:28 am

In the forums they've been analyzing the sideview PR photos (using the wheel size as a reference). Consensus is that the overall length is about 168" making it about 5" shorter than the Focus. The key is that the wheelbase is about 118" - about 14" more than the Focus. By bob-tailing the front and back extra space is allotted to the passengers. Height seem to be 3 to 4 inches shorter.
2013 Ice Storm FFE

electrons

Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:45 pm

GladeStorm wrote:In the forums they've been analyzing the sideview PR photos (using the wheel size as a reference). Consensus is that the overall length is about 168" making it about 5" shorter than the Focus. The key is that the wheelbase is about 118" - about 14" more than the Focus. By bob-tailing the front and back extra space is allotted to the passengers. Height seem to be 3 to 4 inches shorter.
I thought about doing the wheel size method too. Do we know what size the wheel diameter is? 17"---to---20" would be my guess. Need that info more precisely. Edit: I just read where someone was sure they used 20" wheels, OK.....

About bob-tailing (shortening rear overhang on a longer wheelbase): Tesla Model 3 may have very little rear trunk space, since the differential and electric motor back there are pushed closer to the rear bumper than in a Model S. Good front trunk ("frunk") space though.

Return to “News and Main Ford Focus Electric Forum”