Buying a lemon law FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xander9791

Any thoughts on buying an FFE that was bought back by Ford as a lemon-law vehicle? I have four to choose from MY2012-2014. All still have bumper-to-bumper warranty left.

You'd have to be able to get it awfully cheap. Here in California, there is $10K in state and federal money thrown into an EV. You don't get that with any used car, lemon buyback or not.

Xander9791 said:
Any thoughts on buying an FFE that was bought back by Ford as a lemon-law vehicle? I have four to choose from MY2012-2014. All still have bumper-to-bumper warranty left.
MY2012 has more features than other years: rain sensing wipers, homelink, maybe more... I'd get a 2012. But like michael says, it would have to be awfully cheap.

How close to new are they? For a lemon law car, I'd want to pay under $10k for a car that is basically new.

Also, why was each of them bought back under lemon law? That's important to know, too.

They are asking 12,400 for the 2012 (23,000 miles) and 13,900 for the 2014 (7,000 miles).

I do not qualify for the entire Federal tax rebate and Michigan has no state incentive. Plus, there is a savings of nearly $1000 by not paying 6% sales tax on the MSRP.

Even with an employee discount, we are talking for a 2015 ~$28,500 (leather)-$4000 incentive-$7500 Federal tax incentive +$1000 extra sales tax = $18,000.

2016 is eligible for a $2500 factory incentive.

I will know shortly why it was bought back.

Warranty claim says that the PCM was reprogrammed and the high voltage harness was replaced. Sounds good to me.

Xander9791 said:
They are asking 12,400 for the 2012 (23,000 miles) and 13,900 for the 2014 (7,000 miles).

I do not qualify for the entire Federal tax rebate and Michigan has no state incentive. Plus, there is a savings of nearly $1000 by not paying 6% sales tax on the MSRP.

Even with an employee discount, we are talking for a 2015 ~$28,500 (leather)-$4000 incentive-$7500 Federal tax incentive +$1000 extra sales tax = $18,000.

2016 is eligible for a $2500 factory incentive.

I will know shortly why it was bought back.

You don't get the Federal Tax credit on a used car.

RUN (don't walk) from both of these deals. I paid $15,389.99 (out the door) for my 2015 FFE with no state incentive.

scottt said:

RUN (don't walk) from both of these deals. I paid $15,389.99 (out the door) for my 2015 FFE with no state incentive.
How did you get the price down that low before the tax credit? That's roughly half of MSRP. You're saying you get another $7500 in tax credit in addition to that price?

I got my 14 down to 28,300 from 38K MSRP (before that big drop in MSRP they had sometime at the end of 14 model year). In the area of California where I live the incentives total 13K (7500 federal, 2500 state, 3000 air district). So it was 15,300 but the big scam here in California is sales taxes: this is calculated on MSRP. So basically 18,200 was the total with taxes. If I had to do a random unscientific biased valuation on one of these, anything above 75% of that 18K I paid would be a non starter for a used one: knowing what I know now I wouldn't pay more than 13500 for a pristine very low mileage example of my car. If you thought there was a big discrepancy between MSRP on a new one and the big drop in price on a used one, just wait for the shock of the 150-200 mile range generation of cars coming in the next few years, for about what we paid for ours.

hybridbear said:
scottt said:

How did you get the price down that low before the tax credit? That's roughly half of MSRP. You're saying you get another $7500 in tax credit in addition to that price?

No. I'm including the $7500 back in the price "paid"

scottt said:
hybridbear said:
scottt said:

No. I'm including the $7500 back in the price "paid"
Then you're being deceptive. It's important to keep them separate.

hybridbear said:
Then you're being deceptive. It's important to keep them separate.

Apologies, no deception intended. Saw it "bundled" with others, so I did the same. Will separate it out in the future.

scottt said:
hybridbear said:
scottt said:
I paid $15,389.99 (out the door) for my 2015 FFE with no state incentive.
I'm including the $7500 back in the price "paid"

But the federal tax credit doesn't come until the following year, so its not part of the "out the door" price which actually should be $22,889.99 in this example.
Thats assuming that price includes all taxes and fees too.
"Out the door" price is what you pay the dealer in total. Any rebates or tax credits happen later and shouldn't be counted yet.
For the final price total, I wouldn't refer to that as "out the door price" more like "price including all taxes, fees, tax credits and rebates"

scottt said:
But the federal tax credit doesn't come until the following year, so its not part of the "out the door" price which actually should be $22,889.99 in this example.
"Out the door" price is what you pay the dealer in total. Any rebates or tax credits happen later and shouldn't be counted yet.
For the final price total, I wouldn't refer to that as "out the door price" more like "price including all taxes, fees, tax credits and rebates"

$22,889 before any tax incentives is a smoking hot deal. I paid $27,093 out the door before tax incentives for my car back in May, and I thought I did good. You beat my deal by over $4,000!!

Here's the breakdown of my deal:

$30,990 MSRP
<$2,342> discount from MSRP
$28,648 selling price
$2,578 sales tax (9% here in Los Angeles)
$367 registration and doc fees
$31,593 total price
<$4,500> Ford Rebates
$27,093 out the door

Then, I qualified for the Federal Tax Refund ($7,500) and the California Rebate ($2,500), meaning my total price for the car (as opposed to my out the door price) was $17,093. I was very happy with that price, until I see somebody beat it by $4,000!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

campfamily said:
scottt said:

$22,889 before any tax incentives is a smoking hot deal. I paid $27,093 out the door before tax incentives for my car back in May, and I thought I did good. You beat my deal by over $4,000!!

Here's the breakdown of my deal:

$30,990 MSRP
<$2,342> discount from MSRP
$28,648 selling price
$2,578 sales tax (9% here in Los Angeles)
$367 registration and doc fees
$31,593 total price
<$4,500> Ford Rebates
$27,093 out the door

Then, I qualified for the Federal Tax Refund ($7,500) and the California Rebate ($2,500), meaning my total price for the car (as opposed to my out the door price) was $17,093. I was very happy with that price, until I see somebody beat it by $4,000!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Better than my deal! I bought a used 2012 for $22,000. But I knew going in that I would be paying a premium for it. It did have low miles. More importantly it had the features I wanted that only the 2012 model had, Frosted Glass, auto dim rear mirror, auto wipers, etc. It has worked flawlessly for me and even though my girlfriend says she prefers the C-max, she always drives the FFE!

Roger

xchpstang said:
I got my 14 down to 28,300 from 38K MSRP (before that big drop in MSRP they had sometime at the end of 14 model year). In the area of California where I live the incentives total 13K (7500 federal, 2500 state, 3000 air district). So it was 15,300 but the big scam here in California is sales taxes: this is calculated on MSRP. So basically 18,200 was the total with taxes. If I had to do a random unscientific biased valuation on one of these, anything above 75% of that 18K I paid would be a non starter for a used one: knowing what I know now I wouldn't pay more than 13500 for a pristine very low mileage example of my car. If you thought there was a big discrepancy between MSRP on a new one and the big drop in price on a used one, just wait for the shock of the 150-200 mile range generation of cars coming in the next few years, for about what we paid for ours.

What part of CA are you in that you qualify for the $3000 from the air district?

damania said:
xchpstang said:

What part of CA are you in that you qualify for the $3000 from the air district?
San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

Basically boundaries are the Central Valley counties between Stockton and Bakersfield.

I'd jump for them. I have a 2013 FFE and the battery pack never seems to lose any capacity even after 3 years and in the Phoenix HEAT. It's a great car and will last almost forever.

I bought my lemon law 2014 FFE in September. I paid $14999 for it with free shipping to me. Had 9800 miles and came with Ford ESP Premium care with $0 deductible and $60 rental coverage (up to 10 days). Maybe I overpaid, but these are hard to find anywhere near me. The battery was replaced at 6000 miles so this battery is pretty new. I love it. NO issues at all for me. Nice thing about the lemon law Fords is that they include the same OEM warranty plus an additional 1 year warranty (if OEM is about to expire).

I bought my 2012 FFE-lemon buyback April 2015 with 7000miles in MO for $14250. The dealer in Columbia had 5 of them... all with less that 25,000miles. They dropped the price to $12500 on the 3 remaining a few months later, so I was mad I did not wait! In the year, have had zero problems, but did take it to my local dealer in IA once purchased, just to verify the 1 year bumper to bumper warranty and to have it checked over. It has been a great car, no loss of battery-range that I can tell. I get about 50miles range in cold weather and up to 80miles in warm weather (without any climate and below 50mph. I am a bit disappointed with the myfordmobile app. It seems glitchy and often reads "update failed" when I try to check battery level when charging at different locations. Hoping the reliability continues now that my warranty is going to expire!

Back