Nice Focus Electric Review

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

http://www.torquenews.com/1/why-i-bought-ford-focus-electric-after-researching-all-electric-cars

Another journalist who says that the FFE is better than the Leaf and other available EVs.

I agree that the FFE still seems the best of the current generation of BEVs. The RAV-4 had some real advantages in terms of interior capacity and range, but it was comparatively expensive and no longer available.

The big question is whether or not Ford will compete successfully in the next generation against Tesla and GM. I'm worried they won't rise to the battle.

And I agree with your statement that Magna did a good job. It amazes me that some people are critical of Ford because they outsourced the design of the electrical system. What's wrong with letting experts do the job? Should we praise Nissan for using people without the necessary expertise to handle the thermal/battery life issue?

The FFE is indeed superior in terms of all the features it has at the price. Comparable electric cars like the Nissan Leaf and VW eGolf are only comparable feature-wise at their highest premium model levels where the prices are far higher.

The only concern I have on the FFE vs other electric vehicles is the longterm reliability of the Ford HV battery wiring harness with weak connector pins that can result in intermittent connection resulting in an SSN that many here have reported.
Ford doesn't seem to work on a permanent solution to this issue other than replacing the expensive $1000+ harness that might not be covered by the warranty after 3 years.
I would probably purchase my 2014 FFE at the end of the 3 year lease if Ford had a permanent solution for that issue that wouldn't cost me over $1000 possibly if it came up.

I don't expect it will make economic sense to buy one of these cars at lease end if the present tax incentives stay in place, but if you are considering that and are worried about repairs, consider getting an "ESP" warranty. My car is only 20 months old, but it is already out of warranty (at 36,000 miles) so I got an ESP for about $500 to carry it to 60,000 miles.

And I would kind of expect that HVB wiring is covered by the extended electric power train warranty anyway.

"With heated leather seats, sharp interior design, multi-color ambient lighting and a phenomenal stereo I find the FFE to be all luxury at a respectable price.

Phenomenal stereo? Reviewer must not have listened to many stereos.

I love my FFE, but the stock sound system is marginal at best.

scottt said:
You must be a millennial since you don't seem to know how crappy factory audio systems can be. The stock FFE sound system is phenomenal compared to what was stock in most cars 10-15 years ago. I would say the factory sound system is "okay" or "acceptable." It's decent but I agree it's definitely not "phenomenal" as the reviewer states.

scottt said:

I disagree, I think the stereo sounds far better than the typical small car stereo, and I've listened to a lot, since I rent cars on business quite frequently, and recently, the "nicest" car I've been able to get is a Toyota Camry or similar. It certainly doesn't sound as good as the Logic7 system in my BMW, but it sounds far better than the Bose system in my wife's Nissan Armada.

A true audiophile would turn up their nose at the FFE system I'm sure, but for the average Joe, I think the system is great.

triangles said:
scottt said:
You must be a millennial since you don't seem to know how crappy factory audio systems can be. The stock FFE sound system is phenomenal compared to what was stock in most cars 10-15 years ago. I would say the factory sound system is "okay" or "acceptable." It's decent but I agree it's definitely not "phenomenal" as the reviewer states.

:) Nope, Gen X here.

The front speakers are ok. The rear ones are absolutely horrid. I usually like to set things so that I'm "enveloped" in sound, but the back ones really don't do all that much.

scott said:
The front speakers are ok. The rear ones are absolutely horrid. I usually like to set things so that I'm "enveloped" in sound, but the back ones really don't do all that much.
This is most likely because the ICE Focus has a subwoofer in the trunk/hatchback. The FFE has no room and thus only has the rear speakers. It is likely Ford did nothing to improve the rear speakers to make up for the absence of the subwoofer.

Back