jmueller065

Fiesta and Escape to get Sync 3

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:32 am

Ford has announced that the 2016 Fiesta and Escape are to be the first vehicles with Sync 3 (I had heard that it was to be the new Mustang..oh well):
http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/f ... /28319693/

I wonder if the 2016 Focus will also get it...
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

jmueller065

Re: Fiesta and Escape to get Sync 3

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:52 am

2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Moolelo

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:18 am

I can do without. The system is going the way of standard car infotainment systems, which are cruddy in operation (why I actually like MFT). Yes buttons are bigger, screen is faster and capacitive, and more apps. I don't think we needed any more apps, and the corner layout with information in the buttons is what made MFT leaps and bounds ahead of other systems. While a modern touchscreen would be a great improvement, anyone who has used Mazdas, Chevy's, Nissans, and even BMWs systems may have liked the screen, but the way the info is presented is lacking compared to MFT. I have gotten compliments from a Tesla driver and a BMW i3 driver here at my work lot over how much is displayed with the info corners and intuitive our system is (yeah they mentioned the type of touchscreen). I really wish they had modernized MFT with Microsoft (Windows 10 Auto?) and not gone the way of the herd. Has anyone used android auto or Car play? Junk, pretty much useless over a complete infotainment system, that is why even budget cars will have that capability with an otherwise useless touchscreen.

damania

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:37 am

It's crap when u can't have your favorite stations on 1 screen. Why do i have to press fm1 fm2 and fm3? Everything should be navigable from my steering wheel. Who did the user testing validation?

And it's buggy. It can't handle me pressing navigation while booting up. I have to restart the car and reboot the system and then wait for it to fully load and only then i can touch anything to do with navigation.

hybridbear

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:50 am

damania wrote:It's crap when u can't have your favorite stations on 1 screen. Why do i have to press fm1 fm2 and fm3? Everything should be navigable from my steering wheel
You can easily switch between fm1, fm2 & fm3 from the steering wheel. You can also switch to Sirius & other sources.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

michael

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Moolelo wrote:I can do without. The system is going the way of standard car infotainment systems, which are cruddy in operation (why I actually like MFT). Yes buttons are bigger, screen is faster and capacitive, and more apps. I don't think we needed any more apps, and the corner layout with information in the buttons is what made MFT leaps and bounds ahead of other systems. While a modern touchscreen would be a great improvement, anyone who has used Mazdas, Chevy's, Nissans, and even BMWs systems may have liked the screen, but the way the info is presented is lacking compared to MFT. I have gotten compliments from a Tesla driver and a BMW i3 driver here at my work lot over how much is displayed with the info corners and intuitive our system is (yeah they mentioned the type of touchscreen). I really wish they had modernized MFT with Microsoft (Windows 10 Auto?) and not gone the way of the herd. Has anyone used android auto or Car play? Junk, pretty much useless over a complete infotainment system, that is why even budget cars will have that capability with an otherwise useless touchscreen.

A agree. I'm very familiar with Volt and RAV-EV systems and I think what we have is much better. I truly don't understand why it's so disliked.
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

campfamily

Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:33 pm

If you don't like Sync, all you need to do is use a older version of BMWs iDrive for a while, and you'll recognize how bad things could be. Took me a year to figure out how to change from AM to FM without about ten different clicks on the controller on my 2008 BMW 550. Definitely designed by an engineer with very little feedback from a user.

Keith
GONE - 2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
38,500 miles (since May 2015), average 246 Wh/mile

REPLACED WITH - 2018 Tesla Model3, LR RWD, Obsidian Black
11,000 miles (since Nov 2018), average 235 Wh/mile

damania

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:43 pm

hybridbear wrote:
damania wrote:It's crap when u can't have your favorite stations on 1 screen. Why do i have to press fm1 fm2 and fm3? Everything should be navigable from my steering wheel
You can easily switch between fm1, fm2 & fm3 from the steering wheel. You can also switch to Sirius & other sources.
the million dollar question is why do u have fm1 fm2 fm3 in the first place? there's plenty of space on the screen for multiple rows of presets

Kakkerlak

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:47 am

One of the things I do for a living is design touchscreen operator interfaces for industrial machines.

So I hungrily steal ideas from automotive applications. My own FFE's good and bad points are reflected on my machines, and the couple of times I've sat in a Tesla I've been madly scribbling sketches of the layout and graphical details.

Because our product lifetimes are intended to be 5 to 20 years, I don't want or need a fast-moving OS like Android or iOS on my machines. But taking the cues from automotive vendors who have invested at least a little time into UI usability works well.
2014 Focus Electric Ice Storm Metallic
2012 Kalkhoff Pro Connect Electric Bicycle
http://bigwoo.myevblog.com

Moolelo

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 am

That's pretty neat, I don't quite understand if you like this change or not though? Based on your profession your opinion interests me. It does sound like you agree that Carplay and Android auto are not better solutions and auto manufacturers should get more credit for the time they out into these interfaces?

Return to “News and Main Ford Focus Electric Forum”