Is ford finally getting serious about EVs?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much for the hypothesis that Ford's CEO is openly opposed to EVs!

Interesting, well this week is the LA Auto show (the start of "Auto Show Season"). If they are to make any announcements about EVs this would be it (or at CES in January or at the Detroit Auto Show--er NAIAS--also in January).

Perhaps they plan on stealing some of GM's thunder as GM is going to be showing Volt version 2 at the NAIAS in January.

For my $0.02 I think that they will announce any EV plans at CES (which is where they announced the FFE back in 2011).

I hope that Ford will have some big EV announcement in the upcoming months. I think the biggest thing that's lacking is promotion of EVs. Someone needs to step up and do a marketing campaign to show the country why EVs are superior. Ford could do a commercial showing how the Focus Electric is better than the Mazda3 or the Corolla or something. They could do one showing how the Fusion Energi is better than the Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry (gas, not hybrid) and Honda Accord (gas, not hybrid). That type of marketing will help spread EVs to the masses.

I'll believe it when I see another all-electric vehicle besides the FFE, all of their other "EV's" are PHGV's (Plug in Hybrid Gasoline Vehicles) not true EV's.

I would like to see an all-electric Escape or Explorer, F-150 and a full sized sedan (Bring back the Crown Vic ?)

There is money to be made in fleet vehicles (police cars, taxi's, etc.)

I took the time to watch that interview with Yahoo Finance very carefully and transcribe the whole thing over on reddit.com/r/electricvehicles.

And my impression is the exact opposite of every article I've read about the interview.

Mark Fields did not say that Ford is going to make an "electric car for the masses".

He said that Tesla's approach to electric cars has been via the luxury market, and that Ford's approach is "to make sure it's attainable, electrified vehicles are attainable for the masses, and we're gonna continue along that path."

He said this right after he had just completed several sentences either pushing EV development further into the future or claiming success with their current lineup. He said that "we're going to look at this [electric vehicles] as an opportunity going forward", and that "were #2 in the industry right now in electrified vehicles", and even "we're gonna stay focused on providing that power of choice for consumers, Whether it's electrified vehicles, or gas-powered vehicles, or, or, or others, diesels, etcetera".

Yeah... he actually said "diesel" when asked about electric cars. I have exactly as many wings as Ford has diesel cars for sale in the US.

All this reinforces Ford's repeated executive statements saying they're really happy with their Energi powerplants, and have no plans to do anything Electric other than the Focus Electric.

Ford's experience with the Focus Electric and their experience building multiple cars on a platform has taught them that it's not easy to refit an existing design for electric power. Ford has no important investments in battery companies or battery technology.

I personally think that Ford should take Tesla up on their offer to share some of the powertrain technology and the Supercharger network, and use that as the basis for an all-electric Ford Photon vehicle family. Let Tesla have the "Model E" name; they basically took it anyhow.

jmueller065 said:
Max said:
I would like to see an all-electric Escape or Explorer, F-150 and a full sized sedan (Bring back the Crown Vic ?)
A full sized sedan today would be the Taurus or the MKS.

Unfortunately you are correct. the Taurus is significantly smaller then a Crown Vic.

Crown Victoria
Wheelbase 114.7 in (2,913 mm)
Length 212.0 in (5,385 mm)
Width 77.3 in (1,963 mm)
Height 56.8 in (1,443 mm)

Taurus
Wheelbase 106.0 in (2,692 mm)
Length 192.0 in (4,877 mm)
Width 71.2 in (1,808 mm)
Height 54.1 in (1,374 mm)–55.4 in (1,407 mm)

In my opinion, one of the reasons the Model S is such a success is because it is a large car.

Tesla Model S
Wheelbase 2,959 mm (116.5 in)
Length 4,976 mm (195.9 in)
Width 1,963 mm (77.3 in)
Height 1,435 mm (56.5 in)

Thinking optimistically, In 5 years a 100-150 KWH battery pack could become a norm and if electricity is still pretty cheap (I currently pay 6 cents per KWH) , we hopefully can have a no compromise larger vehicle. Tough and versatile .

I saw an MV-1 the other day and thought that would be a great around town EV & fleet vehicle.. maybe someday..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Production_Group

Back