2012 Focus #1 on Safety Institute Vehicle Safety Watch List

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twscrap

Seems as though there is a potential steering issue - there are an awful lot of NHTSA complaints registered. No investigation as yet. Guessing that it's not unique to the ICE version.

http://www.thesafetyinstitute.org/vehicle-safety-watch-list/

2012 was the first model year for the newly redesigned ICE Focus (and FFE of course). Part of the redesign was replacing the standard power steering (which was driven by a belt powered hydraulic pump) with brand new electric power steering.

I would bet that all these issues are the growing pains for that new system.
http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/features/Feature4/#page=Feature4

We have not experienced that phenomenon with our 2012 ICE Focus at all.

Hmm.. this makes me wonder now. :? A couple times I experienced what I thought was wind buffeting me around on the freeway in my 2013 FFE. But, I also remember thinking that it wasn't a very windy day. It felt like a sort of minor forced side-to-side motion (that wasn't very hard to correct for).

Anyone else noticed something like that? I thought nothing of it at the time, but now... hmmm. Some of the descriptions in the linked NHTSA listing above sorta seem like what I experienced. (However, the listing has many other descriptions of more severe and obvious "failed" power steering events that have definitely not occurred to me.)

Knock on wood, I've never had a problem. The only steering abnormality that I've experienced is the torque steer. In fact, this morning, as I was accelerating to get on the freeway, my passenger side tire dipped into the dry gutter as I hugged the right side a little too closely. The steering pulled a little more abruptly than a typical torque steer pull; but still, no problem.

I'll look out for it, but I've always been real happy how solid the steering feels.

Yes, I have occasionally felt like a buffeting side wind even though it looked calm outside. My major complaint is the torque steer. I did have an alignment recently and things improved significantly. It may be that the factory alignment minimizes toe-in to reduce rolling resistance at the cost of "dartiness". Possibly the re-alignment provided more toe-in. Just a guess.

Note that the #3 spot on that list is for "Ford Focus Electrical Issues" and includes at least 6 reports of the FFE SSN error.

The torque steer is significantly more noticeable on the FFE than it is on the ICE Focus (and not just because the FFE has more torque). The ICE Focus uses its traction control system to limit the amount of torque steer that the driver feels--I don't think the FFE does the same thing (in fact there is plenty of evidence that the FFE's traction control system is considerably different from the ICE version--especially given that the FFE has regen and the ICE doesn't/can't).

I have problems with my steering. Don't know if it's this or not, but...I haven't noticed a pulling on the steering wheel. In fact, my steering wheel is TOO tight. In other words, where ever I point it, it stays in that position, until I use a little force to change it. I've never had a car with a steering wheel I have to muscle? I assumed they're all like that :?:

georgek said:
I've never had a car with a steering wheel I have to muscle? I assumed they're all like that :?:
Hmm, my FFE steering is much nicer and easier than my Accord steering was (in terms of wheel feel and the force required).

georgek said:
I have problems with my steering. Don't know if it's this or not, but...I haven't noticed a pulling on the steering wheel. In fact, my steering wheel is TOO tight. In other words, where ever I point it, it stays in that position, until I use a little force to change it. I've never had a car with a steering wheel I have to muscle? I assumed they're all like that :?:
Mine's not.

WattsUp/twscrap

Thanks for that, guys. I'm due for my 10,000 mile. I mentioned it to the dealer (service) way back, but he just shrugged his shoulders...

michael said:
Yes, I have occasionally felt like a buffeting side wind even though it looked calm outside. My major complaint is the torque steer. I did have an alignment recently and things improved significantly. It may be that the factory alignment minimizes toe-in to reduce rolling resistance at the cost of "dartiness". Possibly the re-alignment provided more toe-in. Just a guess.

WattsUp said:
Hmm.. this makes me wonder now. :? A couple times I experienced what I thought was wind buffeting me around on the freeway in my 2013 FFE. But, I also remember thinking that it wasn't a very windy day. It felt like a sort of minor forced side-to-side motion (that wasn't very hard to correct for).

Anyone else noticed something like that? I thought nothing of it at the time, but now... hmmm. Some of the descriptions in the linked NHTSA listing above sorta seem like what I experienced. (However, the listing has many other descriptions of more severe and obvious "failed" power steering events that have definitely not occurred to me.)
I've felt the same thing in our 2013 Fusion Hybrid which has electric power steering just like the Focus Electric. I wonder if there is a more widespread problem.

Back