Limited charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh

As most of us do, I watch my charge often. For the last two days of moderate temperatures (60's) I have noticed that the car only charges to about a 68 mile range, no matter level 1 or 2, and no matter how long on the charger(s). I have a 2013 since Feb that year, with 8500 miles on it. Thoughts anyone?

You can't really say: "A 68 mile charge". Is that what is reading on the Guess-O-Meter after a full charge?

The range-to-empty meter (or Guess-O-Meter) really reflects how you were driving the car the previous day. If you did a lot of highway driving, using the heater and/or A/C and consumed more Watt Hours/mile then it will read a shorter range after a charge than it did when you drove more conservatively.

You simply cannot judge "battery health" by the Guess-O-Meter..

Driving conditions were light if anything, and no use of heat or air conditioning. It is unlike anything previously experienced. Charging for 10 hours plus with practically no change is strange. I made sure I really had a connection, and the same occurred at three different charging locations over three days now.

Please clarify: when you see 68 miles after hours of sitting on plug, is the battery gauge fully blue and does the energy screen on the center console say 100%? Are all quadrants of the charge ring solid blue? I think like jmueller is suggesting, your car is charging to full and the range estimate calculator is just guessing you'll get 68 miles based on recent driving.
If the state of charge is less than 100% then something else is going on.

Thanks as usual for your thoughtful replies. The blue ring at all times showed a full charge. I have made sure both trip meters were zeroed to disallow my driving habits. This morning the charge is full blue and 83 miles showing. But something weird did happen a few days ago (lasting for 3 days) which seems to have gone away for now. I will post again if this rears its head. This winter I had an actual battery alarm on my display, after rocking my car to get out of a slippery parking lot. The dealer could see it but was not able to diagnose. I'll post again if/when I have another event.

Back