autoblog says a revamped version of FFE at NY autoshow

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some pertinent info from the press release (also included in that article):
An all-new heated steering wheel will be available as well as 10 different wheels as factory options.
Hmm will the FFE also get the heated steering wheel (to compete with the Leaf).

Enhanced SYNC AppLink
Focus drivers will have access to powerful new capabilities thanks to a host of functions developers can integrate as they modify their apps to communicate with enhanced SYNC® AppLink™.

Android and iOS smartphone users can download more than 60 AppLink-enabled apps from the Apple App Store and Android market.
Finally! AppLink works. I believe that we will also get AppLink with a MFT update this year.

The debut of the new Focus four-door sedan and the Focus Electric in New York follows the Geneva Motor Show debut in March of the Focus three- and five-door hatchback and wagon. A new version of the performance Focus ST will be shown later this year.
No real info there just that a new one is coming out: It could just be the same FFE with slightly different sheetmetal (with a heated steering wheel LOL).

Ford has released photographs of the exterior but not any other details about what might have changed. All I can tell as of now is:

1. You get the new taillights but the rest of the exterior is unchanged.
2. It's available in red.

The charging port is still the same size and shape, so it's doubtful they've added any form of fast charging. I'm assuming it will share the new interior that the gas Focus models are getting, but they posted a picture of the gauges (unchanged) that appears to be taken through the old steering wheel. Hopefully this was just a representative photo of the Focus Electric dash and they didn't bother taking a new photo.

Yeah, new sheetmetal and that's about it:
http://insideevs.com/2015-ford-focus-electric-gets-revealed/

With the same long press release and about one sentence about the FFE.

Call me disappointed:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2014/04/09/a-new-focus-electric-same-as-the-old-focus-electric/

Actually, I believe that the Ford Focus Electric shown in the photos is a 2014, not the new 2015. I believe this based on the obvious fact that the sheet metal on the FFE shown is the same as the 2014. The hood is the old hood and the grill still has the same scalloped edge around the bumper piece to avoid the Ford logo. The red is new, but I think they either used Photoshop or painted an old model red.

There is no way that Ford would continue to use the old sheet metal on the 2015 FFE. It is just too expensive to use old bumpers and hood. (I do suppose if they had a few thousand old hoods and bumpers in stock, they could use those, but it would be odd.) We will see if my guess is right when the auto show comes around.

unplugged said:
Actually, I believe that the Ford Focus Electric shown in the photos is a 2014, not the new 2015. I believe this based on the obvious fact that the sheet metal on the FFE shown is the same as the 2014.
The photos do not show exactly the 2014 sheet metal or trim. If you look carefully, the rear hatch and fenders have a new "swoop" that runs horizontally below the lights and plate. Also, the brake lights are slightly smaller and have a different lens pattern, and the rear bumper reflectors are different.

I do agree that the front seems unchanged. (We assumed it would be, but perhaps we were wrong?)

According the insideevs.com, the "red" photos came directly from Ford marketing and they were told they were of only the 2015 model.

All I know is every other company seems to be marketing or talking about their future EVs, Plug-Ins, etc or plans for cheaper EVs with 200 mile ranges (if they deliver those by 2016 or 2017 is a different story) but all these other companies seem to have a huge interest in EVs whereas Ford seems to have no interest in the FFE or improving it or even talking about it.

Ford seems far more interested in the Energi compared to the FFE.

jmueller065 said:
Enhanced SYNC AppLink
Focus drivers will have access to powerful new capabilities thanks to a host of functions developers can integrate as they modify their apps to communicate with enhanced SYNC® AppLink™.

Android and iOS smartphone users can download more than 60 AppLink-enabled apps from the Apple App Store and Android market.
Finally! AppLink works. I believe that we will also get AppLink with a MFT update this year.

I don't know if you should get your hopes up. Unless this announcement was specific to the FFE, the ICE focus without MyFord Touch already has AppLink. What makes you think that AppLink is going to work on MFT? I hope you're right, but I'm not that optimistic.

trmacdonal said:
I don't know if you should get your hopes up. Unless this announcement was specific to the FFE, the ICE focus without MyFord Touch already has AppLink. What makes you think that AppLink is going to work on MFT? I hope you're right, but I'm not that optimistic.
Because Ford has been dropping hints all year that app link will be available on an additional 3 million vehicles this year. The only way that can be possible is for MFT to have app link working.

The ICE Focus without MFT has Sync version 1 in which app link has always worked. MFT is Sync version 2.

WattsUp said:
I do agree that the front seems unchanged. (We assumed it would be, but perhaps we were wrong?)
Unfortunately, it appears that the FFE has very little changed from last year. No fast charge. No change to range. What I don't understand is why the FFE at the auto show has the old 2014 dash and steering wheel. You can see clearly the old wheel and dash in the auto show photo. What's up with this?

http://insideevs.com/2015-ford-focus-electric-live-reveal-new-york-auto-show/

Interestingly, there has been no mention of the rumored Focus Energi model. All in all, very disappointing.

Back