NSXMOD

Re: What % of people on here do we guess have had shut down

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Ford to build it that way from scratch

paw160

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:54 pm

It's not a likely (or advisable) to successfully "upgrade" a FFE to CHAdeMO. The reason being that it requires a complete change of the battery charging system (and possibly the battery itself).

AC chargers such as the FFE's have a "rectifier" front end which converts the AC from your home to DC. Then there is a DC regulator to control the power going into the battery from this DC bus.

You would need to bypass the rectifier front end and then also convince the DC regulator that it's ok to charge at higher current (since it is limited according to the battery and the max input power).

What might be more likely to work would be to completely bypass the FFE's charger and install a DC charger directly to the battery. This is not safe in the least unless you really know what you are doing.

Really I don't see a safe or practical way to do this.

jmueller065

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Yeah Ford would have to design that charger into the FFE during a model year upgrade. Which will not happen because Ford has already committed to supporting the SAE "frankenplug" solution.

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/05/08/gm- ... ing-ports/
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

KrazyEd

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:17 pm

I had been fighting with my Progressive insurance agent for years to get the SnapShot. At first, "It is not yet available in Las Vegas.", then, Next spring, Next Fall, This Spring, This Fall. Then, it is here, but doesn't
work with Hybrid or Electric Vehicles. At the time I had a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, and, a 2012 Chevrolet Volt. When I got my FFE, and, went to add it to my policy, Progressive website would not accept my VIN.
I took the car to my agent, who got the same response. He had to have them override the VIN to get it accepted. At the same time, I got him to have them send me a SnapShot device. It arrived and the box said
2014 Ford Focus. I plugged it in, got about 200 feet and got the Stop Safely warning. Turned the car off, then back on, and completed a couple mile trip with no further errors. The next morning, I took the car out
of the garage, got the same 200 feet, same message, only this time the car stopped on it's own. Went through the same procedure as the night before and, it proceeded to stop several times during the next mile.
I put it back into the garage and took the Civic to work. The next morning, I moved the device from the FFE OBDII port to the old GAS OBDII port where it has been operating fine for the last week. I was seeing
updates on the Progressive site that it was being seen, but, did not see any Data displayed. I checked just before writing this reply, and, had a notification from them to return the device. Before I moved it to the
GAS port, I contacted Progressive and was told the the only ELECTRIC vehicle that the SnapShot worked with was the Prius. Hmmmm.
Sigh.

michael

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Apparently a chademo retrofit is not entirely out of the question. A guy who is active on the myrav4ev web site is developing one as a product.

According to his website the unit works with Toyota and Mercedes evs, charges at 80 kw, costs $2000 and takes an hour to install.
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

WattsUp

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:44 pm

michael wrote:Apparently a chademo retrofit is not entirely out of the question. A guy who is active on the myrav4ev web site is developing one as a product.

According to his website the unit works with Toyota and Mercedes evs, charges at 80 kw, costs $2000 and takes an hour to install.
Could it be that "it is possible" with those EVs because they were built with Tesla technology? -- and may have a latent capability for fast charging.

It may not be possible with the current FFE.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

sefs

Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Chademo is possible for any pack in the voltage range of the Chademo spec. The FFE absolutely is. I've been working on this for a while now. In the high voltage distribution box above the inverter there are two buss bars feeding the inverter. I have successfully metered pack voltage here. This is the point that I'm going to connect the Chademo main conductors. All the car needs to do is close two contactors and request amps over CAN. I'm prototyping this up with an Arduino Due. Inlet is readily available. ~$900 for the inlet. I'm mounting under the hood.
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD Multicoat Red Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Electric Ingot Silver - Sold
BRUSA Boosted to 46A at 240V charging, 11kW
Chademo DC Quick Charge Enabled!
Home Quick Charger --> 33.8 kW AC / 31.3 kW DC

michael

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:01 pm

That makes sense. I've also seen people who retrofitted very old Leafs with auxiliary high power chargers.

The guy selling the Rav 4 Chademo adapters also states that they are easily removable when returning the car at the end of the lease, presumably reusable in another car. And, like your approach Sefs, he mounts his under the hood.
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

Return to “News and Main Ford Focus Electric Forum”