Better front license plate mounting?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

Hello,

In states where a front license plate is required, the provided plate holder for the FFE seems to "stick up" and obscure part of the upper grill. I think this looks awful, but would look somewhat better if the plate "stuck down" over the lower grill instead, leaving the upper grill unobstructed.

Has anyone modified the stock holder, or perhaps used a different holder, to make this possible?

Thanks,
- Matt

My dealership didn't put mine on, I didn't realize it until my plates arrived and I didn't have a place to put my front plate. I liked the look of the license-plate-free grille but decided I to save a future hassle by complying with the law.

I took the car to the dealer and had them install the front plate mount (and plate) and though I thought I would hate the new look, I've barely even noticed it there since.

Maybe find another part of the car to admire for a while? ;)

Even if the bracket itself is attached to bumper area "between" the upper and lower grill, the top of your plate doesn't cover part of the upper grill?

Take a look at mine:

photo.jpg

Perhaps Ford dealers in different places use different brackets?

Don A said:
It looks like they have installed the bracket upside down.

If was upside down, the screws (typically for the top of the plate, like the back holder) would be at the bottom. But as you can see, the screws are at the top.

I ditched my front plate. It looked like hillbilly buck teeth, totally destroying the look of the car. I keep the plate and bracket in the "bilge" with the travel cord in case I get pulled over. I have some of those push rivets so it can go on and come off easily.

Didn't think about it until I drove it home. Normally there would be no front license plate bracket for the cars sold here, but my FFE was obtained from a dealer in Illinois, where they require the front license plate. Contacted the dealer yesterday and he said it would be no problem to remove it. But he also said I could use it for a personalized/custom plate if I want. So I'm wondering if I can find/design one that wouldn't look bad.

Took mine off immediately. Looks horrible with it destroying flow of the car.

Here in Washington it's required, but who cares. Never been pulled over, and if you do, say it came like that.

Also buy a small plug to fill the bumper. Looks infinitely better and cleaner.

My out-of-state car came with a front mounted plate that I did not need or want. I purchased some of the color matched bumper plugs to fill the holes (www.bumperplugs.com). The color was a good match for the paint, but because my bumper had to have a warranty repair I just had them fill the holes while it was in the shop.

I just used some "Oxford White" electrical tape for the single hole in the bumper. ;) The holes in the fake grill don't really show up so I left them open.

The picture posted previously, aside from being upside down, is mounted too high. One of my customers sent me pictures of exactly where they wanted there's to be last month. If installed correctly the bottom lip of the bracket should hook under neath the top of the bottom grill. I agree with most, it is ugly, but that is the best way to mount the bracket. I will say I think a car with a license plate in the windshield is even uglier if that makes anyone feel better! haha

-Zjlange12
Havill-Spoerl Ford Lincoln
Fort Atkinson, WI

I've seen it discussed elsewhere on the forum. I had the dealer leave my front plate bracket off. I see there are 3 dimples to locate where the holes should go for the mounting bracket. 2 on the faux grill and 1 in the colored area just below the faux grill. So it's pretty easy to properly center and install the front bracket.

The front plate is required here too, but I like how mine turned out. I bought an aerodynamic, smoked plate cover from Advanced Auto for the front and rear. Since my car is Tuxedo Black Metallic, it really looks good!

BOLT said:
The front plate is required here too, but I like how mine turned out. I bought an aerodynamic, smoked plate cover from Advanced Auto for the front and rear. Since my car is Tuxedo Black Metallic, it really looks good!

Got a pic to share of your plates installed?

Back