Billy Bob EV
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:36 pm

Just was wondering if anyone had tried a 2015 or earlier hitch made for a Focus gas! looking at installation instructions, they say to unbolt the transverse mounted muffler, basically sliding the hitch in between. I'll have to go to a dealer and measure a gas version to see if the shroud is lower or what's difference. Thanks

triangles
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:22 am

Billy Bob EV wrote:Just was wondering if anyone had tried a 2015 or earlier hitch made for a Focus gas! looking at installation instructions, they say to unbolt the transverse mounted muffler, basically sliding the hitch in between. I'll have to go to a dealer and measure a gas version to see if the shroud is lower or what's difference. Thanks
Read the first page of this thread. The storage bin where your inflator/convience charge cord are stored is where the muffler is on the gas car. Because of the way this bin is attached to the car you can't simply bolt up a hitch from a gas car. I don't think anything in this area has changed on the 2015 model.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

WattsUp
Posts: 2113
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:58 am
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:14 am

triangles wrote:Because of the way this bin is attached to the car you can't simply bolt up a hitch from a gas car. I don't think anything in this area has changed on the 2015 model.
But (and mostly directed at "Billy Bob EV") note there is at least one company that makes a hitch mount that does (specifically) fit the FFE. It is probably mentioned somewhere in this thread. I think the name was EcoHitch.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

triangles
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:28 am

WattsUp,
I assumed he knew that but was looking for a less expensive alternative.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

FFEFTW
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:27 pm

Any ideas on if there have been any changes to the FFE that would keep the EcoHitch from fitting a 2016? I talked to their support folks and they basically just shrugged and said they haven't tried it...

triangles
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 am

I'm 99% sure the 2015 and 2016 body panels are the same so if it fits a 2015 it should fit a 2016. I know this doesn't help much but I don't think ford changed anything to the "frame" just the front fascia and some body tweaks with the 2015+ models. I bought one for my 2014 but haven't installed it yet.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Olagon
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:31 pm

triangles wrote:I'm 99% sure the 2015 and 2016 body panels are the same so if it fits a 2015 it should fit a 2016. I know this doesn't help much but I don't think ford changed anything to the "frame" just the front fascia and some body tweaks with the 2015+ models. I bought one for my 2014 but haven't installed it yet.
Did you buy an EcoHitch for your 2014 FFE? If so would love to hear if it fits. I want to buy one but the site says only up to 2013 and they also list other Fords that include 2015 years. Thanks!
- 2014 FFE Tuxedo with leather charged via home PV

Previous eco cars
- 2012 Mitsubishi iMiev
- 1995 Black Benz E300D running biodiesel
- 1995 Green Benz E300D running biodiesel

Next eco car
- Seven seat SUV all electric < $50,000

triangles
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Olagon wrote:Did you buy an EcoHitch for your 2014 FFE? If so would love to hear if it fits. I want to buy one but the site says only up to 2013 and they also list other Fords that include 2015 years. Thanks!
Yes I bough an Ecohitch for my 2014. I don't plan to install it until April when I will use it. It will fit. There is no difference between the 2012-2014 FFE's other than ford removed some of the features such as rain sensing wipers and homelink to make the car cheaper. 2015 there were some slight sheet metal changes and the interior was changed. I am not certain but I think 2016 is the same as 2015 except it has Sync 3.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

EastWestBrothers
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:13 am
Contact: Website

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:36 am

Olagon wrote:
triangles wrote:I'm 99% sure the 2015 and 2016 body panels are the same so if it fits a 2015 it should fit a 2016. I know this doesn't help much but I don't think ford changed anything to the "frame" just the front fascia and some body tweaks with the 2015+ models. I bought one for my 2014 but haven't installed it yet.
Did you buy an EcoHitch for your 2014 FFE? If so would love to hear if it fits. I want to buy one but the site says only up to 2013 and they also list other Fords that include 2015 years. Thanks!
I have the EcoHitch installed on my 2014 FFE. I use it for my hitch mounted bike rack and the fitment is perfect. I actually called the folks at Torklift Central and they were very honest that they were unsure because they had not actually physically had a 2014 in for them to test the fitment, but if the 2014 car was essentially the same as the two prior years, they were confident it would fit.

You can ready more about my experience with the EcoHitch and my Kuat Sherpa rack that I use with it at http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.com/2 ... klift.html.
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier
2014 Ford Focus Electric (returned 10/6/2017)

East-West Brothers Garage
http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.com

FFEFTW
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:36 pm

FYI, installed the 2" EcoHitch on my 2016 FFE last weekend, fit no problems.

Installation was pretty easy, even solo with a couple of jacks, took about 4 hours. 1 hour of that was to hit the hardware store to get 4 new bolts because Torklift sent the wrong size...I know 7/16th looks a lot like 1/2 inch but come on... :roll:

Thule roof rack arrives later this week, then I'll be ready for summer 8-)

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”