Trielectric

2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:57 am

On the 2012 Ford Focus Electric, Ford welded a cobbled up frame work around the new plastic storage bin (this bin replaced the muffler). They welded this unistrut to the frame in various places in addition to the area directly over the area that most aftermarket trailer hitches mount up to which is normally the muffler mounts in the gas Focus. The framework appears to be a reinforcement/protectorant for this new storage bin and may provide some battery support further foward. There are two welds over this trailer hitch area. Removing the front most welds on both sides and grinding off the 2" piece of loose strut opens these threaded holes back up again but leaves a weld in back, still on the frame. One hitch manufacture drills a hole in that weld spot. Another hitch manufacturer uses the threaded holes and a hole on the outside of the frame. These 2 side holes are not on the FFE frame. A 90 degree angle head attachment would be required to drill these two holes. The hitch frame work would run about 1/8" below the still exisisting unistrut and is much stronger than that strut should the remaining welds fail. Ford should just buy a trailer hitch and install it at the factory in place of the unistrut.
Last edited by Trielectric on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charged Up

Re: 2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks for the info. Any chance we could get a picture of this hitch? Where did you get the hitch? How much for it?

Trielectric

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:52 pm

The hitch with the side holes is a Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com. It is listed for the 2012 Ford Focus. They have some pics in the directions of the threaded bolt holes.
PM me your email address and I'll send some pics, since it appears this web site does not accept pics for storage on it's site.

mountaineer

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Caution: p 254 of my 2013 FFE manual says: "WARNING: Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through an authorized dealer."

I suspect that towing anything with your vehicle will void the warranty.

Also, the same page says that towing your vehicle behind, say, a motor home is permissibly only with all wheels off the ground, "as vehicle or transmission damage may occur". Use a car-hauling trailer; "Otherwise, no recreational towing is permitted."

Same bad implications for warranty.

cleavel

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:14 am

Hi,

I have a 2013 FFE and I assume the structure is the same as on the 2012 model year. Has anyone found a trailer hitch that works without doing any cutting or grinding? I have put trailer hitches on my Prii and the hitches tied into the tie-down rings that they use when shipping the cars.

I am not going to tow anything with the car. I use hitch mount bicycle racks to transport my bikes.

TIA for any info or advice.
Thanks.

Cleave

2013 Ford Focus Electric
2010 Toyota Prius
2012 Stop Proletariat (Commuter Bicycle)

thait84

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Bump for any information. I leased the FFE and I don't want to drill holes or do anything that would affect it when I need to turn it in.

Josephus

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:39 pm

My unfortunate suspicion is that Ford purposefully made it hard to install hitches because towing weight would hurt the electric motor or the direct drive. This silent parenting approach is not appreciated. Any ideas from any engineers about if/how towing might affect an electric motor differently than an ICE?

TorkliftCentral

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:49 am

Torklift Central recently manufactured an EcoHitch to fit the 2012-2014 Ford Focus Electric.
The hitch is completely hidden and no drilling to the frame is required. You can view a photo by clicking the link below.
Available in 1.25 and 2 inch receivers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/torkliftce ... 407046824/

unplugged

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:15 pm

TorkliftCentral wrote:Torklift Central recently manufactured an EcoHitch to fit the 2012-2014 Ford Focus Electric.
The hitch is completely hidden and no drilling to the frame is required. You can view a photo by clicking the link below.
Available in 1.25 and 2 inch receivers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/torkliftce ... 407046824/
Thanks for the heads-up Tork!! I think quite a few folks were looking for this.

Here is the purchase link and install video: http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/2012 ... -p2149.htm
May 2013 Ice Storm once leased and currently a 2017 White Platinum

WattsUp

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 pm

This looks really cool, but...

I wish the video explained what the techs were doing at each step. For example, what was all the fiddling around with what looked like "strings" at the beginning?

I also don't quite understand what the product information means when it says "completely stealth and hidden when not in use". You can still see the thing when you're not using it, sticking out from under the bumper, no? (Unless it folds back or detaches somehow?)

Lastly, the page seems to have everything twice, the product checklist and video are duplicated. Or am I missing some difference?
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”