help plz --- Which charger to buy

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart159

Hello I just bought one of the last FFE in Quebec and I need to choose between these 2 home chargers that I wills use OUTSIDE my house

ChargePoint Home Wi-Fi Connected Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger, Level 2, 240 Volt, 32 Amp, Hardwired Station, Indoor or Outdoor Install, 5.5 m cord - CPH25-L18 - from amazon

or

Sun Country Highway ClipperCreek EV40P 32 Amp Plug-in EV Charging Station - from costco

Which one do you recommend???

They are both rated for 32A. FFE maxes out at 28A when charging. It doesn't matter which one you go with. Just get which ever one is cheaper unless you really like one over the other.

Oh and by the way, these are EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) not chargers. The charger is built into the car. The EVSE is essentially just a smart extension cord that tells the car's charger how much current it is allowed to draw. If you must use "charge" to describe it, then call it a "charge station" or "charging station." Calling it a "charger" is confusing to people who don't understand EV technology. Now that that is out of the way, Welcome to the FFE family!

Okay I did not know that. thank you for pointing it out.

then I think it will be the home charging station from costco (clippercreek) which has free delivery and is 200$ cheaper.

thank you for your help

stuart159 said:
Okay I did not know that. thank you for pointing it out.

then I think it will be the home charging station from costco (clippercreek) which has free delivery and is 200$ cheaper.

thank you for your help
That's a good choice. It's reliable but if something goes wrong, you can always take it back to Costco.

stuart159
Two more things that you may or may not be aware of.

1) The load your EVSE puts on the circuit (plug/wires/circuit breaker) it is connected to can be no more than 80% of what the circuit is rated for. In other words you need a circuit breaker, plug, and wiring rated for at least 40A since 32A (EVSE rating) is 80% of 40A. If you're having an electrician install this then I guess you don't need to worry about it. Also, using this outside you may opt to hard wire the unit instead of having to deal with a weather rated outlet.

2) Cold and especially heat usage really reduces range but as much as 40+%. In the spring when it starts getting warm out you will be pleasantly surprised by the increased range.

I've bought two Clipper Creek chargers and have been very happy with both. I left the first one at the house I sold 2 years ago, that's the reason for buying a second one.

Back