Paddle shift to activate regen brakes

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffii

Has anyone tried installing paddle shifters to activate the regen brakes. I would like to use a paddle shifter to activate the regen only while I’m holding it. Is it possible?

You'd probably have to figure out what message to send on the CAN bus to engage regen and then setup a microcontroller to issue the message.

Not sure if you could engage them from a simple switch as the amount of regen is controlled by software.

When the shift lever is put in “L” what happens exactly? Is a switch activated or is it more complicated ? Could that circuit be rerouted to a steering column mounted intermediate switch?

Jeffii said:
When the shift lever is put in “L” what happens exactly? Is a switch activated or is it more complicated ? Could that circuit be rerouted to a steering column mounted intermediate switch?

I'm pretty sure its just all software. Shifting in L just closes a switch to let the computer know that you're now in L instead of D and it adjusts its actions as necessary.

Look here for more information on the braking system.

Back