Wheel spacers

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard they wreak havoc on your suspension, especially a less beefy suspension that I suspect the FFE has. What about wheels with a different offset? Not sure if that has the same effect on suspension but can achieve the same look while being a better-looking wheel than stock.

NavinRJohnson said:
I've heard they wreak havoc on your suspension, especially a less beefy suspension that I suspect the FFE has. What about wheels with a different offset? Not sure if that has the same effect on suspension but can achieve the same look while being a better-looking wheel than stock.
Wouldn't the FFE have a beefier suspension as its the heaviest Focus of them all.

jmueller065 said:
Wouldn't the FFE have a beefier suspension as its the heaviest Focus of them all.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought the only suspension difference was beefier springs in the rear for the extra battery weight.

I have no idea what the scrub radius is on the FFE but adding spacers to change the offset will change the scrub radius which has the potential to greatly alter the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Depending on the change it can cause the wheels to tend to toe out or in on acceleration, braking, and cornering and can affect the amount of input force on the steering wheel to keep the car pointed where you want it. Sometimes this can improve things other times not so much. If changing the handling characteristics doesn't matter to you then adding the spacers for looks isn't a big deal. Also not knowing what the factory scrub radius is and how much of a spacer you plan to use I have no idea how much or if it would even be noticeable the change in handling would be. Since you've already done it on your ST I'd imagine you should already have a pretty good idea how it will change the handling on the FFE. For anyone interested in a quick primer on how scrub radius affects handling, click here.

Well, I traded in the ST, but the FFE cannot corner near as quickly or safely as the ST did. Not even close. The FFE has no traction and slides or hydroplanes easily in comparison. It has to be driven a little more delicately, which I do, but I have been surprised in it with slippage, so maybe that is just a downside of LRR tires.

Streetfocus, you answered your question. It is the low rolling resistance tires.

The person selling the OEM tires, ask them how the car handles with the Focus 18 inch summer tires - they just put those on the car.

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3718

Back