HID's upgraded

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATL-FFE

From another forum:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/664434-upgrading-my-st3-lights-35w-hid.html

I sourced parts from a 2014 Jaguar XF and swapped the 25w components with the 35w components. I would gauge the improvement at around 30% in brightness and throw. I managed to source all the parts as a package for $120 shipped.

If you're looking for additional light output, this works well and is a super easy swap.

ATL-FFE said:
If you're looking for additional light output, this works well and is a super easy swap.
Could you post some part numbers, or links? The linked post is a bit light on specifics.

From what I can gather...

The new (35w) ballast is Osram 35XT6-S-D3, like the one in this listing?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181923231675

The new lamps are something like Osram 66340CBI, correct?
https://www.amazon.com/Osram-66340CBI-Xenarc-CBI-Light/dp/B00O7PZK9U

I'm not really sure how to track down the new cables. (Or would the existing cables work?)

Also, the linked article mentions the HID "shield" retracting in high-beam mode and "bi-xenon", which seem to have something to do with each other. Is this a feature enabled by the new ballasts, the new bulbs, or is it already a function of the FFE headlamp housings? (I'm not really sure where the HID shield is located or what controls its movement. I assume it is some kind of moving part?)

The ballasts I used are 35XT6-S-D3. They're used on a bunch of different cars.

The bulbs can be any D3S, you just have to notch the black plastic out and it fits. If you take the D8S and the D3S, put them side-by-side, you'll see the notch.

I chose a whole takeoff kit so I didn't have to mess with the cables. I do know cables from the car don't work on the 35w ballast and D3S bulbs. Finding the right cables might be a trick unless you can find them with the bulbs.

Ebay was a good source for me.

Almost forgot, there is no bi-xenon possible with this upgrade, I have to idea what that guy is talking about. Our highbeams are separate.

ATL-FFE said:
The ballasts I used are 35XT6-S-D3. They're used on a bunch of different cars.

The bulbs can be any D3S, you just have to notch the black plastic out and it fits. If you take the D8S and the D3S, put them side-by-side, you'll see the notch.

I chose a whole takeoff kit so I didn't have to mess with the cables. I do know cables from the car don't work on the 35w ballast and D3S bulbs. Finding the right cables might be a trick unless you can find them with the bulbs.

Ebay was a good source for me.

Almost forgot, there is no bi-xenon possible with this upgrade, I have to idea what that guy is talking about. Our highbeams are separate.

Pretty sure they are bi-xenon with an additional high beam. I could be wrong though. You can hear what I believe to be the shutter in the projector flip up and down when you hit the high beams.

ATL-FFE said:
From another forum:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/664434-upgrading-my-st3-lights-35w-hid.html

I sourced parts from a 2014 Jaguar XF and swapped the 25w components with the 35w components. I would gauge the improvement at around 30% in brightness and throw. I managed to source all the parts as a package for $120 shipped.

Do you have any night time pics with the lights turned on. I'm curious about their brightness.

breeves002 said:
Pretty sure they are bi-xenon with an additional high beam. I could be wrong though. You can hear what I believe to be the shutter in the projector flip up and down when you hit the high beams.
I think the FFE high-beams are just another set of (regular) high-beam bulbs in reflector housings and the click you are hearing is just a relay.

The shield you referred to is a physical solenoid operated shutter that lifts up to expose the entire reflector. I saw it when connecting the marker lights on my 2012. With the headlamp assembly out of the car, you can reach in through the access hole and move it manually. My guess it's a DOT requirement to guarantee you don't blind oncoming drivers in low beam mode. I find the headlights aimed too low but haven't gotten around to adjusting them.

Back