GHTech

Activating Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Possible?

Tue May 10, 2016 9:15 am

Hi!

Just leased a 2016 Ford Focus Electric and enjoying the car. I would really like to have the DRL turned on. Reading on different sites I find that there is a mention that it can be done using the IDS system that Ford has. Any insights?

Thanks,

GHTech

GHTech

Re: Activating Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Possible?

Sun May 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi!

I asked the dealership that I purchased the FFE from if they will activate the DRL using the ids, and they said that they will. But, their charge is $140, which I think is too much for a 5 minute job. I do not mind paying a small amount, but not that much.

Thoughts?

Regards,

GHTech

GHTech

Mon May 16, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi!

An update. I was able to get a dealer to turn it on for me. The tech connected the laptop, and turned it on. It was working on their drive as the I checked myself. While I was driving home I did not see it one (reflection on the car in front), and when I checked, it was not on. I now do see the DRL option in the settings, but it is grayed out.

Regards,

GHTech

WattsUp

Mon May 16, 2016 8:25 pm

GHTech wrote:An update. I was able to get a dealer to turn it on for me. The tech connected the laptop, and turned it on.
Did you pay $140?
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

GHTech

Mon May 16, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi!

Nope. Asked a friend who works at a dealership, who ask a friend for a favor. :-) Let me see if they can make it work permanently. The answer to the $140 charge is "Hell No", I don't need it that badly. :-)

Regards,

GHTech

cpwl

Wed May 18, 2016 11:05 am

It really is quite astonishing that activating the LED strip to function as DRLs is so problematic. DRLs are legislated here in Canada and in the case of the FFE it is in fact the LED strip that satisfies the requirement for DRLs. I would be shocked if there is any wiring harness difference in the FFEs shipped to Canada compared to US designated cars. A firmware setting is the only thing that makes reasonable sense so any factory trained technician with appropriate programming authorities should be able to do it - permanently.

And when all is said and done it is long past time that the US regulate DRLs as a safety feature on all cars. It would be an essentially no cost modification which has a huge effect on making you more visible to oncoming drivers and people generally don’t hit what they can see. This would be a much better safety regulation than the 2017 requirement that all cars have back-up cameras which will almost certainly result in more accidents as fewer drivers will physically check their rear quarters beyond the camera field of vision (reducing cross-traffic awareness, either vehicular or pedestrian) and fewer still will actually physically look out of the rear window. (I already frequently see this in parking lots and have had to dodge cars blithely backing out of their parking spot completely oblivious to other cars let alone pedestrians! There couldn’t possibly be anyone else moving in a Wal-Mart parking lot could there. :o )

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

campfamily

Thu May 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Non EV Focuses (Foci?) with the HID headlights (believe that is either Titanium or ST trim) have the LED strip as a DRL; I agree, this should be an easy coding mod.
GONE - 2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
38,500 miles (since May 2015), average 246 Wh/mile

REPLACED WITH - 2018 Tesla Model3, LR RWD, Obsidian Black
20,000 miles (since Nov 2018), average 235 Wh/mile

GHTech

Thu May 19, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi!

I have an appointment with the same dealership tomorrow (Fri) morning. Will update then.

Regards,

GHTech

triangles

Fri May 20, 2016 3:49 pm

sounds interesting. I figured they were hard wired into the runnng lights circuit. maybe not.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

GHTech

Sun May 22, 2016 6:50 am

Hi!

Quick update. Took the FFE in on Fri and was expecting an hour at most. But, had to leave for an afternoon meeting. Was told that the tech is on the phone with the Ford Hotline, and engineers. Was asked if I can leave the car, which I did. I will check back on Mon. Not complaining as they are trying.

Regards,

GHTech

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”