sefs
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:00 am
Location: Gibsonia, PA

Re: Quick charge project

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:33 am

coulomb_carl wrote:If you have motor torque, current, voltage and RPM PIDs you can calculate motor efficiency? Might be interesting to see how efficient the motor is in both power and regen. A bit confused since in your display showing regen the torque and RPM computes to 4.1kW but volts and amps are 6.2kW?
Good catch. I think RPM is off by x2. I could collect some data to get an idea of efficiency over different modes.
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD Multicoat Red Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Electric Ingot Silver - Sold
BRUSA Boosted to 46A at 240V charging, 11kW
Chademo DC Quick Charge Enabled!
Home Quick Charger --> 33.8 kW AC / 31.3 kW DC

coulomb_carl
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:05 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Quick charge project

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:31 am

sefs wrote:
coulomb_carl wrote:If you have motor torque, current, voltage and RPM PIDs you can calculate motor efficiency? Might be interesting to see how efficient the motor is in both power and regen. A bit confused since in your display showing regen the torque and RPM computes to 4.1kW but volts and amps are 6.2kW?
Good catch. I think RPM is off by x2. I could collect some data to get an idea of efficiency over different modes.
I wondered about the RPM. If it is indeed off by two then in your displays the powering motor efficiency would be about 96% and the pure regen braking motor efficiency would be about 76%. Eminently reasonable, I think. Would be interesting to see how high the motor efficiency can be while braking at various pedal efforts.

sefs
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:00 am
Location: Gibsonia, PA

Re: Quick charge project

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:36 am

coulomb_carl wrote:
sefs wrote:
coulomb_carl wrote:If you have motor torque, current, voltage and RPM PIDs you can calculate motor efficiency? Might be interesting to see how efficient the motor is in both power and regen. A bit confused since in your display showing regen the torque and RPM computes to 4.1kW but volts and amps are 6.2kW?
Good catch. I think RPM is off by x2. I could collect some data to get an idea of efficiency over different modes.
I wondered about the RPM. If it is indeed off by two then in your displays the powering motor efficiency would be about 96% and the pure regen braking motor efficiency would be about 76%. Eminently reasonable, I think. Would be interesting to see how high the motor efficiency can be while braking at various pedal efforts.
Keep in mind that there are about 0.2-0.4kW of 12V DC/DC converter load, as well as any HVAC loads, which may have been on at that time. In my new display, I have those individually called out as well.
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD Multicoat Red Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Electric Ingot Silver - Sold
BRUSA Boosted to 46A at 240V charging, 11kW
Chademo DC Quick Charge Enabled!
Home Quick Charger --> 33.8 kW AC / 31.3 kW DC

coulomb_carl
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:05 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Quick charge project

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:52 am

Is the motor current available as a PID or just the battery current?

rsanders4
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:45 am

Re: Quick charge project

Sun May 01, 2016 11:28 pm

I wonder how difficult it would be to upgrade the charging port to CCS?

triangles
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Quick charge project

Mon May 02, 2016 6:42 am

The difficult (expensive) thing for a retrofit would be the high voltage wiring and likely necessity for contactors on those HV wires. Because of this I doubt we'll ever see a ford approved upgrade since it would be so expensive no one would do it.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

awefulspeller
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Re: Quick charge project

Mon May 02, 2016 7:09 am

triangles wrote:The difficult (expensive) thing for a retrofit would be the high voltage wiring and likely necessity for contactors on those HV wires. Because of this I doubt we'll ever see a ford approved upgrade since it would be so expensive no one would do it.
Maybe a simple retrofit battery upgrade option is in the future.

rsanders4
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:45 am

Re: Quick charge project

Mon May 02, 2016 11:14 pm

Wait, what?

Wouldn't it be a direct swap of the connector, with just two lines running from the additional pins to the HVB?

triangles
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Location: Toledo, Ohio

Re: Quick charge project

Tue May 03, 2016 11:23 am

rsanders4 wrote:Wait, what?

Wouldn't it be a direct swap of the connector, with just two lines running from the additional pins to the HVB?
I'm pretty sure you have to have a contactor and some safety logic so those HV pins aren't always connected to the battery. Otherwise some idiot would remove themselves from the gene pool by sticking their finger(s) in the connector and touching the pins.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

rsanders4
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:45 am

Re: Quick charge project

Fri May 06, 2016 2:47 pm

I guess what I meant was to replace the charging port and harness with one from a 2017.

I'd bet heavily not much under the hood will be changing, and the understanding I have is that the car already CAN support CCS, it just doesn't have the connector.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”