An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quick charge project
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:39 am 

sefs,
Am I missing something? The "lockpick" for the screen seems awful pricey just to enable a video input to the screen. Does it do anything else?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:05 am 

triangles wrote:
sefs,
Am I missing something? The "lockpick" for the screen seems awful pricey just to enable a video input to the screen. Does it do anything else?

No, you're not missing anything. It definitely is pricey for what it does. The only other thing it does is to allow you to disable the "no navigation entry while in motion" lockout. You can also toggle between the backup camera and four other inputs while driving. However, I couldn't find an area in the cabin to mount an additional display. Reusing the MFT display was the only way I could do what I wanted to. I suppose you could have done a little dot matrix 1.5" LCD or something driven directly from the Arduino, but I wanted a larger color display that I pack a bunch of information on.

Chademo DC Quick Charge Enabled!
Home Quick Charger --> 33.8 kW AC / 31.3 kW DC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:15 am 

sefs wrote:
Braking Mode (Blank "No Braking", Regen, Blended, and Friction)

What module reports this? I haven't noticed this in FORScan... It would be useful to see. Thanks!

I really like your customized FFE display screen. Thanks for sharing more info about your work!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:46 am 

hybridbear wrote:
sefs wrote:
Braking Mode (Blank "No Braking", Regen, Blended, and Friction)

What module reports this? I haven't noticed this in FORScan... It would be useful to see. Thanks!

I really like your customized FFE display screen. Thanks for sharing more info about your work!

Unfortunately this is not a stock reported parameter. I created this parameter by monitoring motor torque for being negative (indicating it's in regen) and hydraulic brake pressure (indicating the friction brakes are operating). You could monitor this by looking at the brake pressure from the ABS module and noting when it goes >0 PSI, indicating the friction brakes are on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:16 pm 

sefs wrote:
Unfortunately this is not a stock reported parameter. I created this parameter by monitoring motor torque for being negative (indicating it's in regen) and hydraulic brake pressure (indicating the friction brakes are operating). You could monitor this by looking at the brake pressure from the ABS module and noting when it goes >0 PSI, indicating the friction brakes are on.

That explains why I hadn't found it. I have seen the brake pressure PID in the ABS module. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:10 am 

Can we get a instructions list of how you did this? I'd really love to do this down the road from now, after I buy my FFE.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:06 am 

sefs wrote:
I made some progress today on my project to add additional charging capability and/or add chademo capability. Today I used a brusa charger to charge the battery via the high voltage junction box.
http://i.imgur.com/h7L5dEn.jpg

Sefs,

Thank you for sharing your work. It is very interesting, and impressive. If you get a chance, please see my question below...

When you say the "high voltage junction box", what exactly are you talking about and where is this located on the FFE? I'm trying to figure out where you 'inserted' your additional power source.

Did you insert power on the battery-side of the Battery Charger Control Module (BCCM), or the charger port side of the BCCM?

I'm finding these terms on this .pdf:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/conten ... Guide1.pdf

Again, nice work on your project. It has been keeping me entertained all day!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:40 pm 

he tapped into the battery by removing the top cover of the motor/drive/gearbox assembly. Not sure what the proper term is.
You have to remove the black plastic cover and then it's a few screws to pop the top cover off. If you look at the center of his picture you can see the metal cover is missing. It should go without saying that this will expose the high voltage so don't be stupid and electrocute yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:41 pm 

triangles wrote:
he tapped into the battery by removing the top cover of the motor/drive/gearbox assembly. Not sure what the proper term is.
You have to remove the black plastic cover and then it's a few screws to pop the top cover off. If you look at the center of his picture you can see the metal cover is missing. It should go without saying that this will expose the high voltage so don't be stupid and electrocute yourself.

This is it. Ford calls this entire motor/gearbox/junction the TCM.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:50 am 

If you have motor torque, current, voltage and RPM PIDs you can calculate motor efficiency? Might be interesting to see how efficient the motor is in both power and regen. A bit confused since in your display showing regen the torque and RPM computes to 4.1kW but volts and amps are 6.2kW?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next