Sorry it's been so long since I've posted an update. I've been traveling for work non-stop for the past few months.
An update Chademo
capabilities: I now have the Chademo
quick charging process completely automated, complete with charging time estimation. In my area, we have three types of Chademo
quick chargers: Eaton, Signet, and Nissan brand. I started this whole process on the Eaton Quick Charger, it was by far the easiest to control. After I got that fully operational, I started work on the Signet brand of Quick Charger. This one took a couple days, but ultimately I got this charger to the fully functional phase as well. The Nissan brand chargers are farther away from me, and I've only tried one once. Right now the Nissan brand isn't working, but it will probably just take a Sunday afternoon at the Nissan Dealer to sort that one out; but it isn't too high on my priority list right now. I've attached some photos of the Chademo
This is the FFE charging at the Eaton Quick Charger. This was genesis.
Here is another Eaton charging session at the airport, but with a shot of my internal display estimating time remaining.
Here is a shot of the FFE charging at the Signet brand Quick Charger. This one was at a local Nissan Dealer.
An update on the FFE Display side project: Awhile ago I posted a shot of my side project to make a display for the FFE that would show me all the stuff I wanted to see, but Ford neglected to make available to the driver (I don't really blame them, I'm a lot more interested in this stuff than your typical driver would be). This started as a way to easily display the parameters I had sorted out in the process of writing the code to make the Chademo
session work. As time went on, I decided it would be cool to add some more parameters. As it stands, I have the following parameters displayed: total vehicle Power (kW), Voltage (V), Current (A), Torque (lb ft), Braking Mode (Blank "No Braking", Regen, Blended, and Friction), SOC Displayed (%), SOC Actual (%), Energy to Empty (kWh), Main Contactor State (Open/Closed), Battery Temp (F), Battery Coolant Temp (F), Speed (MPH), and RPM. When the car is in a Chademo
Quick Charging session, the MPH and RPM displays go away, and a Time Remaining display and requested Chademo
Current (A) display appear. The display is just a simple Visual Basic application that reads the Arduino's serial communication and updates the screen. I have a Windows 7 car PC in the trunk area where the OEM charger and tire sealant are located. The screen is driven through an aftermarket device called "Lock Pick" that allows a composite input to be selected on the My Ford Touch screen. The input is toggled through holding in the voice command button for 5 seconds. When the car starts up, the PC boots up quickly (SSD), and automatically. It senses 12V ignition and starts on its own. It also gracefully shuts down on its own upon loss of 12V ignition. It also has a constant 12V for actually powering the computer, the ignition 12V only signals the computer to boot and shut down. The Arduino is the same one that I'm using to control the Chademo
session, mounted under the hood in my junction box.
Here is a shot of the FFE Display during powering.
Here is a shot of the FFE display during Regen braking.
Here is a shot of the FFE display during Blended braking, meaning the electric motor is providing braking torque and the friction brakes are operating. The "Blended" display is hard to make out in the photo.
Finally, here is a shot of the FFE display during Friction only braking, meaning the electric motor is providing no negative torque. This happens either when the battery is full or at very low speeds. This is clear on the stock FFE by the absence of the regenerative circular arrows over the battery display.
Next steps: I only have a few more things that I'm going to do with this project. The first one will be getting the final type of Chademo
quick charger in my area to work, the Nissan brand. The second will be to have a final PCB/shield made of all the various parts I needed to make the Arduino Due work with the Chademo
charging process. Right now, all the parts are in a "bread board" state and need finalized. The final step will be revising the display a little, making it a bit more clean. I'll probably put the break down of power consumption between the drivetrain, HVAC and accessory. Maybe I'll also put the throttle and brake percentages on the screen. I'll probably also put a Tesla style Level I/II AC voltage and current input to the car, as well as what the pilot signal is advertising as the ampacity of the EVSE. Beyond that, I don't think there's too much more I can do with this project.