An additional 120v charging cable is ~$700? Really?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavinRJohnson

Was considering buying an extra charge cable to keep it in the car to use while I'm at work. But are they really ~$700? For that, I may as well buy a 240v charger and keep the original in the car.

I have never used or even unwrapped my Ford-supplied "convenience charger". I carry a Turbo Cord for those occasions when an EVSE isn't available, and it works both with 120 and 220 (208 or 240) Volt outlets.

I carry a Jesla in both our Rav4 EV and FFE. @ $999.99 it is both our home charger and portable 40A 120V/240V charger. Highly recommended.

My recommendation is buy http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=5 and sell your Ford stock charger on eBay. The one listed here charges at a rate faster than the TurboCord and you can get whatever dongles you need for your 120 or 240 outlets.

Really new to the site, (As in today) and fairly new to EV's. Wife leased a 2014 Ford Focus in Nov 14' so we've had it under 2 months now. (1750 miles on it to date)
Wife purchased a 2nd "Convenience cord" from our local stealership, (Yes she paid close to $700 for it) we use to one that came with the car at home, and I carry the second one in the car and use it at my work place.
The 120v cord has been working,here at my office location but as you all know, its slow. My work does have a 220v receptacle available. I have a question, is it feasible to, wire up a pigtail that will plug into the 220v outlet and have a female 110v receptacle at the other end to plug my 110v convenience cord into, to charge car at 220v? I tried searching here, but without knowing what to use for search criteria, search function was not useful.
I really don't wan't to spend another $300 or more on a dedicated 220v charge cord if I can make my 120v cord work.
Damn I thing I just answered my own question...... Probably won't work (safely)as the 120v cords are smaller gauge wire and carry less current :oops:
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Fw

Unfortunately no. You need a 220 V cord. I would suggest you look into a Turbo Cord which is available in a dual-voltage version. You can try to sell your second Ford cord on Ebay or something....

sorry...wish I had better news....

banshee08 said:
I carry a Jesla in both our Rav4 EV and FFE. @ $999.99 it is both our home charger and portable 40A 120V/240V charger. Highly recommended.

+2
I have one for my FFE, wife has one for her Volt. There is no better portable evse on the market.

Back